Calling BigBoss and others re new HT and network

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, All! An old member here. I do not post much these days but still check the forum from time to time. Need some advice for kitting out a friend’s house during major refurbishment.

So -

The House:

It is a three-level semidetached house with 4 bedrooms, two baths and a large open plan kitchen/living area opening to the garden. More details on each area and their respective AV needs:

Level 0:

Living/kitchen/garden – the living part needs a new TV, 5.1 surround sound to watch bluray/DVD, iPlayer, iPad video and Freeview. The kitchen part needs stereo music which will also spill to the garden (no separate garden speakers). TV will be wall mounted. The speakers must be in-ceiling. Sub can be separate. AVR, bluray player and other gear must be located on shelves on the left wall.

Guest bedroom – needs airplay music

Level 1:

Large reception room – this needs airplay music. The solution is already fixed: existing Airport express + existing AVI DM10 speakers.

Study: This will have iMac computer, printer, small desktop speakers for music. A cupboard with internet modem, AirportExtreme hub, network switch (this will be the central hub for the Ethernet network).

Level 2:

3 bedrooms here, each to have airplay music. This floor will have no Ethernet network, only wireless.

Bathroom: This needs music. Not sure yet how to do this one yet.

The Client:

The owner will be mainly style/interior design driven but is a very keen classical music fan, music plays all the time and she appreciates high quality sound. The gear must be VERY simple to use and after the initial setup must need no tinkering.

Current thinking:

Ethernet network on levels 0 and 1 with hub in the study, wifionly on level 2.

Level 0: For the AV: Marantz SR6010, monitor audio CT280 L,R,C speakers and CT265 for SL,SR in ceiling speakers. TV model no clue. JL Audio Dominion 110 sub. Cheap compact Sony bluray player. Apple TV. For kitchen use AVR zone 2 and monitor Audio CT280 in ceiling stereo speakers (will spill out to the garden)

Level 2: all bedrooms to have existing airport expresses + existing active speakers. Bathroom – no clue.

The questions:

Which TV? Size? 4K or not? Sitting position is abt 3m from the wall but from the kitchen is abt 5m.

Which AVR? The SR6010 is only proposed because I know the Marantz range. Are there better alternatives (better = does the same cheaper).

Which ceiling speakers? From the marketing BS I struggle to understand which are high-performance good deals and which are overpriced average. Any advice?

How to sensibly serve the top floor bathroom? This is tricky due to electrical safety limitations. Could be a weatherproof single stereo speaker fed from e.g. xzone 3 of the AVR (but will need a more expensive AVR). Is there another way? E.g. andairport express in the central cupboard, a cheap signal sensing amp and then speaker cables up one level to the bathroom speaker?

Any advice re the network?

The reason Sonos is not considered is that it would be considerably more expensive as there is already an existing set of 4 airport expresses and 5 active speakers available, hence inclination to stay airplay based and ensure stability by using Ethernet.

Any other general advice, what else to consider etc etc.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Alma

How did the skiing go? New skis working OK?

I miss your writeups and excellent photos.

(Sorry for going offpiste)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi Alma

Oh, it is time to book this season's trip already! Had great trips each of hte previous seasons, some new places (Valmorel, Pragelato). How's your back? Are you back on the slopes?

I have Monitor Audio Trimless 200 series (WT280, WT265 and CT265) in my lounge with Marantz SR7009 AV receiver. This is a brilliant combination, and the SR6010 will be brilliant as well. You can look at Denon AVR-X4200W as an alternative.

Monitor Audio ceiling and wall speakers are superb for the money. I found the Trimless 200 series to offer the best combination of price and performance. You can get significant discounts on them.

With regards to TV, it depends on budget and viewing habits. 4K TVs have got cheaper. If you don't anticipate viewing 4K material for a few years and still watch a lot of SD, then a 1080p TV is a good choice, to tide over next 2-3 years. If you want to be absolutely future proof, then go for a 4K TV.

Size depends on viewing habits. For that distance, look for minimum 55 inches. To include the kitchen as well, a 65-inch TV will be ideal. Bear in mind that if you're watching a lot of SD, pictures may not be as sharp at 3m distance. Best to demo in the shops at that particular viewing distance with SD material.

Monitor Audio do an all weather AWC ceiling speakers range suitable for bathrooms. You can have them wired to the outside wall where you can connect an amplifier with Airport Express /Airplay.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
With regards to TV, it depends on budget and viewing habits. 4K TVs have got cheaper. If you don't anticipate viewing 4K material for a few years and still watch a lot of SD, then a 1080p TV is a good choice, to tide over next 2-3 years. If you want to be absolutely future proof, then go for a 4K TV.

Just one comment on that - to futureproof, you need a 4K TV that also does HDR, because not all older models do HDR. And some new ones have trouble with HDR, for instance Hisense's excellent, cheap, 75-inch H75M7900 machine, which is best regarded as just 4K, but without HDR. See this article from AVForums: https://www.avforums.com/article/top-10-features-your-next-tv-must-have.12027

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
CnoEvil said:
Hi Alma

Oh, it is time to book this season's trip already! Had great trips each of hte previous seasons, some new places (Valmorel, Pragelato). How's your back? Are you back on the slopes?

In order that I won't disrupt this thread, I'll reply here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/topic-and-miscellaneous/any-skiers-out-there

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
What I don't understand is why so many in ceiling speakers do not have enclosures. How is it ensured that they work properly and the sound does not leak to the other side of the ceiling?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I have Monitor Audio Trimless 200 series (WT280, WT265 and CT265) in my lounge with Marantz SR7009 AV receiver. This is a brilliant combination, and the SR6010 will be brilliant as well. You can look at Denon AVR-X4200W as an alternative.

Monitor Audio ceiling and wall speakers are superb for the money. I found the Trimless 200 series to offer the best combination of price and performance. You can get significant discounts on them.

Size depends on viewing habits. For that distance, look for minimum 55 inches. To include the kitchen as well, a 65-inch TV will be ideal. Bear in mind that if you're watching a lot of SD, pictures may not be as sharp at 3m distance. Best to demo in the shops at that particular viewing distance with SD material.

Monitor Audio do an all weather AWC ceiling speakers range suitable for bathrooms. You can have them wired to the outside wall where you can connect an amplifier with Airport Express /Airplay.

Thank you, BB.

After a short research I was leaning to the very Monitor Audio 200 series myself! I think I iwll settle on CT280 for L, R and C and CT 265 for the rear pair. Zone 2 kitchen music will be also CT280.

I see the new slim Marantz 1607 does the same in terms of zones as the SR6010. But they are the same price as the 1607 is new and the 6010 has been superceded, so makes sence to go for the 6010.

For TV size I was thinking min 50in, maybe 55 or 60 (will see how she reacts to that). As to the models and features, still very much confused. Probably 4k as she is not too tight on budget so futureproofing would make sense. As to which manufacturer and which series - total confusion.

AlmaataKZ said:
What I don't understand is why so many in ceiling speakers do not have enclosures.  How is it ensured that they work properly and the sound does not leak to the other side of the ceiling?
I didn't need them, because they were going into a void anyway. You could either look at Monitor Audio Controlled Performance (CP) series ceiling speakers which come with built-in back box, or build a box yourself, or pick an after market one.

CP-CT380 and CP-CT260 are the equivalents in your case (the 380 is similar to Trimless 300 and 260 is similar to Trimless 200).

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Everything is final now. Ordered:

Marantz SR6010 AVR (very good deal from Peter Tyson currently)

JL Audo Dominion 110

7 ceiling speakers Monitor Audio 280/265 to cover the 5.1 and the kitchen zone

Basic network switch

Installation will progress in the next several weeks and thei I will set everyting up and hope it all works ;-)

thanks to all for all the tips, appreciated.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Note:

If you cut into a ceiling and put speakers in, you MUST install a cover - Intumescent Fire and accoustic hood.

This is to recreate the fire retardation lost by putting a hole in the ceiling.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Q5 said:
Note:

If you cut into a ceiling and put speakers in, you MUST install a cover - Intumescent Fire and accoustic hood.

This is to recreate the fire retardation lost by putting a hole in the ceiling.
Good point. Didn't think of that. Although I would think a 3/8ths sheet of plywood would be just as good as plasterboard. And if it isn't, your house has probably gone to the point where there will be nothing worth saving left anyway.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Boxing in in-wall and in-ceiling speakers helps them project sound out into the intended space, not into wall cavities or surrounding spaces, in my case attics mostly.
It also stops insulation(and mice and bugs) finding its way into the backs if your speakers and gumming them up over time, and helps ensure there is free air for the cones to move in and to prevent crossovers overheating.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
:good:

Do let us know the results.

there is still some design work remaining (built in cabinets that will house the electronics and the sub) and I need to meet the builder and point at the ceiling to show where to put the speakers and The owner also asked me to check if the builder installed all the cables correctly. Their schedule is very relaxed, so still many weeks to go.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Update here:

Sub and receiver arrived. Design of the cabinets complete and everything ordered. I will be checkign the network, power and speaker cabling on site later this week.

The only things remaining to buy are the bluray player, apple TV, the network switch and some basic cables which I will do just before I visit for installing and connecting the gear.

There is one thing still not decided - the TV. And I hope for more advice here.

Size: I think it should be 55in. Not sure if it is wise to go bigger. She only watches TV and dvd/bluray occasionally.

Resoslution: Her main content will be freeview HD, non-4k bluray, DVD and maybe some freeview SD. I doubt she will early-adopt any of the 4k services so probabaly will only ever see 4k once it apears on freeview. Based on this, what is the point of buying a 4k TV at all?! Is there any reason?

Model: This is where I am most lost. Even if we limit the choice to Samsung, I have no idea how to choose the series. the marketing literature is very uninformative and full of BS and although I am not shy on tech details I still find it confusing.

All I think I should be choosing is a mid-range set with excellent picture Q on HD material. But it is very difficult to destinguish between marketing gimmicks and useful features. Would appreciate any advice.

Another thing that puzzels me: the TV will be installed on a wall and I have specified power, network and hdmi to the point of installation. But I see some TVs have separate connection boxes! where the hell does one of these go in case of wall monting of the TV?!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
BB, sounds good. I'll probably go with it on your recommendation.

John Lewis site only mentions freesat HD, not freeview HD, but I hope it is just an omission, it does have freeview HD, right?

Does it have a separate connection box or not?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts