Some cds skip do I have a laser problem

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I have noticed one or two of my cds skip on inspection the cds do have slight surface marks but nothing to bad they all played without problem on my Roksan Caspian M2 cdp and my Marantz 17ki sig I've not had my Musical FidelityM6 cdp for long should I take it back and get it checked over ? is there a test which can be carried out which would highlight a problem with the laser one which is a bit more scientific than playind a load of cds

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
toyota man said:
CnoEvil said:
TM, I would certainly take it back to get checked over.
Hi Cno is there a test that will identify if the laser is faulty ?

If the dealer has a similar CDP, bring along your CDs that skip and try them....not necessarily conclusive but might help identify if there's a problem

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
toyota man said:
Thanks for replies Guys *drinks* its just I've only had the odd cd skip in the past and usualy once it had been cleaned all was well

My Marantz CD63 MKII K1 Sig had the same problem .... it worked well for more than 10 years, then it started skipping tracks on a few cd's ... I tried cleaning the lens and even bought a cd lens cleaner cd ....

I ended up selling it on ebay

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
toyota man said:
CnoEvil said:
TM, I would certainly take it back to get checked over.
Hi Cno is there a test that will identify if the laser is faulty ?

I'd stick it in a PC and play the offending tracks and see if it skips in that. Maybe try it in your car too. If the CD's don't skip in those two it's time to look at your CD again. Also, does this happen at higher volumes only or any volume? I've seen CD players skip at higher volumes where the speakers are close by but not at lower volumes.

Edit, someone already proposed this.

Ultimately, if your rip all your CD's, ditch the CD player and stream your collection you'll never have skipping CD's ever again!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
dim_span said:
toyota man said:
Thanks for replies Guys *drinks* its just I've only had the odd cd skip in the past and usualy once it had been cleaned all was well

My Marantz CD63 MKII K1 Sig had the same problem .... it worked well for more than 10 years, then it started skipping tracks on a few cd's ... I tried cleaning the lens and even bought a cd lens cleaner cd ....

Hope you at least told prospecive buyers they were biding on a faulty player.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
dim_span said:
toyota man said:

Hope you at least told prospecive buyers they were biding on a faulty player.

Yup ... advert was very clear. ... It does not pay to lie on ebay adverts when you sell, especially if items are large and shipping is expensive ...

The guy who won the item was very happy ... he collected the cdp in person after a lengthy demo and a couple of beers

and so was I happy - (I sold it more more than what I paid after 10 years of service) ... Brilliant CD player and I toyed with the idea of getting it serviced, but decided to get something different instead

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I burnt new copys of the affected cds from my itunes which is lossless and all is well no skipping I have looked at the discs which skip and they only have slight marks on them and they played ok on my Roksan .

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Interesting.

About 20 years ago, I had the same kind of result with some discs skipping on a car CD player I had fitted. They replaced it twice and the problem persisted.

It seems not all CDs are manufactured to the same standard, and I guess weight, coating etc comes into it.

Copying onto CD-R sounds like a good solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts