Small Speakers

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
This will have been done before so a link to old threads is more than acceptable but I couldn't find them.
wink_smile.gif

Due to a new layout in our house I need new, smaller, wife-friendly speakers. For reference, my Roksan Kandy speakers on Partington stands are too big. Realistically I am looking at the ultimate in bookshelf speakers. There will be a budget but any speakers will be cheaper than a divorce so probably up to £1k for starters. I also realise the compromise in bass output as a sub is also to be discounted.

For use in a 3m x 4m x 2.5m high room. Fire away.
shades_smile.gif

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
What's the rest of your system Davie?

I'd take a strong look at Neat Iotas. They're detailed and musically very engaging...and very petite indeed. They can be wall-mounted or stand-mounted and come in a range of colours. I'm not a fan of the official stands though and I have heard reports that they're not the most stable. So I'd go for 3rd party 700mm high stands (Try Atacama Moseco that also come in a variety of colours that could match your choice of Iotas).

Speakers and stands should come in just under your £1k budget.

Leeps said:
What's the rest of your system Davie?

I'd take a strong look at Neat Iotas. They're detailed and musically very engaging...and very petite indeed. They can be wall-mounted or stand-mounted and come in a range of colours. I'm not a fan of the official stands though and I have heard reports that they're not the most stable. So I'd go for 3rd party 700mm high stands (Try Atacama Moseco that also come in a variety of colours that could match your choice of Iotas).

Speakers and stands should come in just under your £1k budget.

Do you already have the stands? Depends on the rest of your set up. If your amp Can drive them then Spendor SA1's every time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Do you already have the stands? Depends on the rest of your set up. If your amp Can drive them then Spendor SA1's every time.

The SA1s are my second favorite speaker, though they lack scale and vibrancy compared to the LS50s.

record_spot

If you're in a small room, Tannoy's DC4 or DC6 (now widely available as end of line and discounted) are alarmingly good. I've had my DC4s for several years now, tried other speakers but passed up on them all. Lovely and detailed sound, very musical, bass more than respectable for their size and the real wood finish is appreciably better than your veneers and a nice change from gloss black.

Lastly, the dual concentric design gives you a big stereo field, but with a wonderful placement for instruments. At £350 the DC4 was good value, £500 for the DC6, now both can be had for less than £200. A steal.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have to echo what has already been mentioned, the ls50's are by far the best i have heard for a long time, and at £799.99 you will have enough remaining to buy the mrs a slap up meal and a trip away, ive learnt to keep them sweet! lol

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
I have to echo what has already been mentioned, the ls50's are by far the best i have heard for a long time, and at £799.99 you will have enough remaining to buy the mrs a slap up meal and a trip away, ive learnt to keep them sweet! lol

ATC SCM 7... even better speakers than ls50 and for the same money and sealed design so much better near walls etc ( Kef's are c.r.a.p. on that)... but above all I agree with Richard - for 1k you can get superb actives that leave all the passives in the dust... all of them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lpv said:
ATC SCM 7... even better speakers than ls50 and for the same money and sealed design so much better near walls etc ( Kef's are c.r.a.p. on that)... but above all I agree with Richard - for 1k you can get superb actives that leave all the passives in the dust... all of them.

Though very close, David Price of HFC would agree with you: http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/HiFi-Choice-group-test-conclusion-384-May-2014.pdf

Though to add balance, Stereophile in their 2015 Recommended Components, has LS50s in Class 1 (restricted LF) and the SCM 7s as Class 3 (restricted LF): http://www.stereophile.com/content/2015-recommended-components-loudspeakers

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

For info - Current set up is a variety of A/V inputs but really the set up is for Hi-Res digital files into a Beresford DAC, Roksan K2 amp and the K2 speakers on Partington Dreadnought stands (filled). I would like for any future purchases to at least match that level. Not much point otherwise.
wink_smile.gif
My previous set up was Arcam Xeta1 and Tannoy 611 MKII so I am familiar with them but I thought they only came to life at loudish levels. I do also have a basic Tannoy 5.1 system which I have been using in another room with the Arcam but I prefer a quality stereo system to a basic 5.1, and there is also the sub issue.

For size - As discrete as possible. Any amp can go under the TV but I forsee speaker size and placement being the issue. I know nothing about active speakers. FWIW, the KS50s are not much smaller than the K2s. Maybe I should put the cash towards bribery and corruption.
wink_smile.gif

My first step will be trying to incorporate my current set up but this post in in anticipation of a frosty reception.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
lpv said:

Though very close, David Price of HFC would agree with you: http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/HiFi-Choice-group-test-conclusion-384-May-2014.pdf

Though to add balance, Stereophile in their 2015 Recommended Components, has LS50s in Class 1 (restricted LF) and the SCM 7s as Class 3 (restricted LF): http://www.stereophile.com/content/2015-recommended-components-loudspeakers

any opinion of any reviewer/ middleman are of no importance to me.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I would love to compare some LS50 to the new IPL M4M I built. I've heard the LS50 and they are very good, along with the Q Acoustics they are products that perform better than they should for the price.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
DavieCee said:
Thanks for the replies.

For info - Current set up is a variety of A/V inputs but really the set up is for Hi-Res digital files into a Beresford DAC, Roksan K2 amp and the K2 speakers on Partington Dreadnought stands (filled). I would like for any future purchases to at least match that level. Not much point otherwise. My previous set up was Arcam Xeta1 and Tannoy 611 MKII so I am familiar with them but I thought they only came to life at loudish levels. I do also have a basic Tannoy 5.1 system which I have been using in another room with the Arcam but I prefer a quality stereo system to a basic 5.1, and there is also the sub issue.

For size - As discrete as possible. Any amp can go under the TV but I forsee speaker size and placement being the issue. I know nothing about active speakers. FWIW, the KS50s are not much smaller than the K2s. Maybe I should put the cash towards bribery and corruption.

My first step will be trying to incorporate my current set up but this post in in anticipation of a frosty reception.

how about in walls speakers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lpv said:
CnoEvil said:
lpv said:

Maybe so, but it was my roundabout way of putting the speakers in some sort of context for the OP....and highlighting that opinions differ, so demoing is essential.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
DavieCee said:
Thanks for the replies.

For info - Current set up is a variety of A/V inputs but really the set up is for Hi-Res digital files into a Beresford DAC, Roksan K2 amp and the K2 speakers on Partington Dreadnought stands (filled). I would like for any future purchases to at least match that level. Not much point otherwise. My previous set up was Arcam Xeta1 and Tannoy 611 MKII so I am familiar with them but I thought they only came to life at loudish levels. I do also have a basic Tannoy 5.1 system which I have been using in another room with the Arcam but I prefer a quality stereo system to a basic 5.1, and there is also the sub issue.

how about in walls speakers?

I have my doubts. The reason she hates subs is that she is succeptable to noise and "feels" the bass vibrations. Anything going through the walls sounds like a bass box. But I accept that I could be wrong.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
lpv said:
CnoEvil said:
lpv said:

Maybe so, but it was my roundabout way of putting the speakers in some sort of context for the OP....and highlighting that opinions differ, so demoing is essential.

A demo goes without saying. I am looking at potential shortlists.

matthewpiano

Auditioning definitely the key. In your position I would be wanting to try the following with your current electronics:

Sonus Faber Chameleon B (should be at least as good as the 'Toy' model they have replaced)

Neat Iota (I agree with previous comments about these being very musical)

Dali Mentor Menuet

Dali Ikon 1 Mk 2

(Every Dali I've ever heard has been very enjoyable, and if you like the ribbon tweeters in your Roksan speakers, the Ikon range might suit you very well.)

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Auditioning definitely the key. In your position I would be wanting to try the following with your current electronics:

Sonus Faber Chameleon B (should be at least as good as the 'Toy' model they have replaced)

Neat Iota (I agree with previous comments about these being very musical)

Dali Mentor Menuet

Dali Ikon 1 Mk 2

(Every Dali I've ever heard has been very enjoyable, and if you like the ribbon tweeters in your Roksan speakers, the Ikon range might suit you very well.)

A nice list! Although, to be fair, the only ones with a meaningful reduction in size are the Neats.

A starting point should it go wrong with the current set up. Out of curiosity, remove price constraints as I imagine small high end is a niche product.

D

Deleted member 108165

My 2p's worth *good* Got mine mounted on wall brackets.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Harbeth P3 ESR... you'll never want another small speaker.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

certainly the harbeths are much more discreet than many 'modern' standmounts, and have a completely different sound to any of the mainstream speakers I had on my shortlist. They are insightful and 'an easy listen'. You might well find an exdemo set for around your budget; finding a dealer is a pain, but David Wren at Radlett Audio offers a great service.

In the end I chose SF Venere 1.5, which are below your budget and offer a 'warm/smooth' sound. They werern't on my demo list but David has a set lying about.

Audition as many as you can be bothered with; the time invested will pay dividends in the long run.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
The Harbeth reviews are interesting, and the Neats meet my spec. Still going to try the current set up first.

Good to be building the shortlist though. I have authorised dealers for those 2 and others in easy reach.
tounge_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts