Speaker cable for beginner/budget system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Did the cable thing not too long ago with silver plated this and that.
I found that providing its half decent cable ie van damm cable which I used in the living room or Cambridge audio silver edition cable I replaced with or cheaper larger guage "gear it" cable when upgrading an amp with much bigger terminals in the bedroom, I can tell you what the majority say is true.

As long as the cable is half decent it makes no difference in music quality as it only carries the signal.
I watched an in depth video once with wave graphs blah blah on a lazy sun afternoon between normal cable and this expensive cable, I forget the name of and it made no difference.
I've also had hifi from a young age and used regular lamp cord my father threw through the loft hatch at me and it drove my little missions at the time absolutely fine for yrs.
The only mishap I've had was using really thin guage cable dyaying yrs ago from the pound shop in an emergency and it glowed red and snapped 😂.
I agree qed cable is fine .

podknocker

Didn't you??
Yes I did. The reason was to avoid tripping over my QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker leads. If you don't mind the stiff stuff coiling up, then there is no reason to spend more than £10 per metre. I also bought them because they are blue, but if I was starting again, £10 per metre would be my limit. The TQ Ultra Blue leads I have are very expensive and I don't think they are worth it. They do tuck away nicely though.

MickB

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Did the cable thing not too long ago with silver plated this and that.
I found that providing its half decent cable ie van damm cable which I used in the living room or Cambridge audio silver edition cable I replaced with or cheaper larger guage "gear it" cable when upgrading an amp with much bigger terminals in the bedroom, I can tell you what the majority say is true.

As long as the cable is half decent it makes no difference in music quality as it only carries the signal.
I watched an in depth video once with wave graphs blah blah on a lazy sun afternoon between normal cable and this expensive cable, I forget the name of and it made no difference.
I've also had hifi from a young age and used regular lamp cord my father threw through the loft hatch at me and it drove my little missions at the time absolutely fine for yrs.
The only mishap I've had was using really thin guage cable dyaying yrs ago from the pound shop in an emergency and it glowed red and snapped 😂.
I agree qed cable is fine .
Thanks Stuart

MickB

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
I just want to say thanks to everyone who was kind enough to post a reply and offer some guidance. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve posted on any forum but appreciate you guys for taking the time to get in touch. And again to Juzzie for the offer of the Van Damme cable - a thoroughly decent gesture. Hope you all have a relaxing Christmas and Good Luck for 2024
Mick

Witterings

As an American i can only recommend the kimber carbon 18xl speaker cable, its $3000 a meter but will truly elevate your budget system to new levels.

In the UK it's £3045 per mtr pair but if you buy a 4.5 mtr pair it's only £7087.50 which works out at £1575 per mtr so even if I didn't need it that long I'd get it just so it was better value for money :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Yes I did. The reason was to avoid tripping over my QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker leads. If you don't mind the stiff stuff coiling up, then there is no reason to spend more than £10 per metre. I also bought them because they are blue, but if I was starting again, £10 per metre would be my limit. The TQ Ultra Blue leads I have are very expensive and I don't think they are worth it. They do tuck away nicely though.
Yep! Sometimes it's worth paying that little extra if you want flexibility, a nice white or blue outer, decent fitted connections...... Etc.
This is why cable threads are pointless.
In the OPs case he could simply use bell wire and not be disappointed.
My speaker cables are grey and almost as thick as broom handles, and expensive but I wouldn't actually have bought them, it was simply that they were thrown in as part of the package when I bought my speakers second-hand....

TRENDING THREADS