Speaker cable for beginner/budget system

MickB

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello folks, hope you are all well and don’t mind me asking the following question.

I’m looking for an unterminated speaker cable for a Denon Ceol N11 and Elac Debut 5.2 speakers. They will be situated in an alcove in the corner of a small room 3m x 4m and therefore do you think a higher quality cable will be required considering the speakers will be situated only approx 0.5m either side of the Ceol?

MickB

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello folks, hope you are all well and don’t mind me asking the following question.

I’m looking for an unterminated speaker cable for a Denon Ceol N11 and Elac Debut 5.2 speakers. They will be situated in an alcove in the corner of a small room 3m x 4m and therefore do you think a higher quality cable will be required considering the speakers will be situated only approx 0.5m either side of the Ceol?
Welcome to the forum.

QED 79 strand.

All you need.
Hi Podknocker, thanks for the welcome and extremely quick response! I accidentally clicked ‘Post’ before I had finished. I forgot to mention that a QED ‘Performance’ cable was thrown in for good measure with the Elac speakers and, given the debate around speaker cables and their ability to improve a system, wondered whether or not to upgrade. Given the size of the room the system will be situated in, along with the fact that it’s not a ‘high-end’ setup, I didn’t want to overspend on cables if it didn’t make sense based on the Ceol N11/Elac speakers. I’ll have a look at the QED 79. Again, much appreciated for taking the time to get in touch.

MickB

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
If they have given you some QED speaker cable (of any kind) I would suggest plugging it all in, listening for six months ... and then see how you feel.
Thanks for your reply Juzzie, sounds like a common sense solution. Maybe that’s the way forward and have the QED79 in reserve.

MickB

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
See how you go into the new year and go from there. If you're still sceptical or have an itch to scratch, I'll send you c.1m of Van Damme 6mm blue and c.1m of in-wall installation speaker cable for you to try out. If you can tell the difference, it's on me. If you can't tell the difference ... donate £10 to the
That’s a very kind offer, and much appreciated Juzzie.

MickB

Dec 12, 2023
Visit site
You need to be aware that the spring connectors on the Denon are limited as to the thickness of cable they can accept. QED 79-strand works fine for me, though I add to twist the strands quite tight to make it fit. If you've been given some basic QED cable with the system and it fits OK, I'd stick with that and see how it goes.
Thanks Matthewpianist, a good point and one I was concerned about as well. I contacted Denon Support today and they said 4mm thickness should be fine - but I have to admit it looks tight.

matthewpianist

Thanks Matthewpianist, a good point and one I was concerned about as well. I contacted Denon Support today and they said 4mm thickness should be fine - but I have to admit it looks tight.
I don't understand their rationale for putting these terminals on the N10 and N11 (essentially the same thing but the N11 adds DAB). I see they have put proper binding posts with banana sockets on the new N12. The only weakness on a superb system.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
You need to be aware that the spring connectors on the Denon are limited as to the thickness of cable they can accept. QED 79-strand works fine for me, though I add to twist the strands quite tight to make it fit. If you've been given some basic QED cable with the system and it fits OK, I'd stick with that and see how it goes.
You can get adapters for this type of speaker terminal.

Won’t allow me to load photos buts here’s the link.

DG…

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts