Solid mains

tiagopimentel

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm building a dedicated home theatre (about 19' x 13') to watch movies but also listen to a lot of music and concerts.
I want a strong and tight front stage. I have a pair of old Monitor Audio Studio 6 that I was considering using as mains, but lately I've been thinking of placing them as sides and buying new technology speakers.

Please consider that my whole front stage will be in a baffle wall with sound insulation (so no need for floor standing speakers).
My top budget (just for mains) would be about $2000 and in this price range, two speakers stand out to me:
Monitor Audio Silver 100
Kef R3.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? The Kef R3 is three way design but is the difference audible?

Thanks
Tiago

Reactions: martois

Tinman1952

Hey guys,

I'm building a dedicated home theatre (about 19' x 13') to watch movies but also listen to a lot of music and concerts.
I want a strong and tight front stage. I have a pair of old Monitor Audio Studio 6 that I was considering using as mains, but lately I've been thinking of placing them as sides and buying new technology speakers.

Please consider that my whole front stage will be in a baffle wall with sound insulation (so no need for floor standing speakers).
My top budget (just for mains) would be about $2000 and in this price range, two speakers stand out to me:
Monitor Audio Silver 100
Kef R3.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? The Kef R3 is three way design but is the difference audible?

Thanks
Tiago
Hi. Both are excellent speakers....you really need to listen to see which sound you prefer.
Don't assume a three way will automatically sound better...
Personally I'd choose the excellent Monitor Audio but that's just me......I've often found Kef to sound too bright for me....(like my unfortunate time with the much praised LS50 speakers...)
Good luck!

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Hi. Both are excellent speakers....you really need to listen to see which sound you prefer.
Don't assume a three way will automatically sound better...
Personally I'd choose the excellent Monitor Audio but that's just me......I've often found Kef to sound too bright for me....(like my unfortunate time with the much praised LS50 speakers...)
Good luck!
Good to see you back Tinman (y)

Welcome to the forum!

When I read this part I thought you meant you were choosing baffle/wall/soffit mounted speakers. Then you mention regular stand-mount designs. Can you clarify how what you are describing differs from a regular wall?

Don’t you in any case want a set of 5.1, 7.2 type combinations for AV?

Fandango Andy

Hey guys,

Monitor Audio Silver 100
Kef R3.

Thanks
Tiago
You ideally want speakers that compliment each other, choosing speakers that have drivers made of the same material helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts