Screen for Optoma HD65

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi frens,

I'm looking to get a Screen for my Optoma HD65.

I read a few websites to get a little knowledge and have kind of figured that a Grey High Contrast Screen will give me better Blacks as opposed to a White Screen in a room which has ambient light.

These are a points to consider...

- The screen size i'm looking at is about 110" - 125" Diagonal in my living room.

- Ambient light during day time is controllable to a certain limit.

- Light control after about 6 pm is almost completely Dark.

- There is a window just besides the left side of the screen which i will cover with a dark curtain but it wont be a issue after evening because that window opens to a passage within the building, so not much light comes in from there.

- Projector will be used mostly for movies.

So i need some suggestions regarding which Screen i should get for my HD65.

1. Should i get High Contrast Grey Screen or a White Screen (Matte White) ?

2. Can any Optoma HD65 owners here share their experiences of what screens they are using and what are the results ?

Also if you picked "Grey" then did you feel you would have been better off with "White" & vice versa ?

3. Is the Optoma HD65 Bright enough for Grey Screens ?

4. So do you guys recommend a Matt White or a Grey .....?

Thanks,

Rana

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rana,

Seriously dont get a grey screen. I have a 2000 lumens projector and the screen i purchased (0.8 gain) just swallows the light and makes whites look grey. Now sitting in garage and i had to buy a new one. Go for a gain of (1.0) remember contrast isn't just deep blacks but the difference between white and black. Spend the extra money and time on a good calibration disc such as 'Digital Video Essentials'. Also calibrate with low bulb power ( darker picture ) and normal to see which you prefer. Your source kit will make the biggest difference, don't expect freeview to give good blacks, but DVD/BD should be great.

Take a look at www.projectorreviews.com for a detailed review of you're model and recommendations for screens, calibaration etc. They tend to get same review outcome as WHF only with PJ focused detail.

Good Luck,

Cookie Monster

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
i kind of made up my mind for a matt white screen..... however...

I posted this on another forums and one reply was this...

Rana,

When i bought my HD65 i did a lot of testing, from matt white, white
beaded, and different shades of grey painted screen material.

I found the grey high contrast approach essential for anything like
decent 'dark' levels and more importantly, detail in the darks too,
which was completely lacking with a white screen. With any ambient
light you need a grey screen with the HD 65 (IMHO), and apart from
that, it is limited in the blacks so any help you can give it is cool.

It really was a night and day difference switching to grey, more punch,
more details in darks, i found it a no brainer. Now, some here will
disavow grey screens
with 'i like my whites white' which doesnt wash with me as the HD65 is
bright enough to produce clean whites easily with a grey screen.

For a wheeze i went back to a white screen just to see if i felt the
same as i did about it, and was appalled at the washed out grey fog
that was supposed to be 'dark'.

Just my 2 penneth worth, do some experiments to find out what you like.
I used two Ikea blinds for my tests, nice and cheap, white surface (and
big). I tried different mixes of grey to nail the correct shade and
colour composition (for a neutral grey) for my needs.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Now i'm totally confused..... :-(

What should i do ?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have both an hd65 and hd20 and originally had a panoview 84 inch screen which was great then upgraded to a 106 inch Grandview cyberscreen which was fantastic for the money and is a great screen can't recommend highly enough - both my screens were matt white gain of 1.0 and are plenty bright enough for either projector. The grandviews mounting brackets slide the entire length of the screen so makes it very easy to locate beams in the ceiling to connect to - in my lounge they run at 90 deg to the screen. it also has a very nice recoil, you pull the screen down to release it and it gently rolls itself back in to the casing.

i would be carefull going over 106 with the hd65 as from personal experience the grid is quite noticable to me - fantastic buget projector though for the money!

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rana,

Its in the detail. The above test was with a 'blind from Ikea'!. Not a projector screen with a gain factor. Standard factor is 1.0 (same amount of light is reflected back).

Seriously a true projection screen is what will give you the quaility picture you are looking for.

DLP projectors generally have better blacks anyway. Calibration is key, the disc i use to set up my kit has a level that goes beyond 'video' black.

Anyway, if you live near Staffordshire you are always welcome to borrow the grey screen in my garage.

Cannot remember if you said you had purchased your PJ yet. Many stores will demo them for you. You can always call Optoma and ask which screen they recommend. I found Creative Audio in Shropshire especially great. Take you're own player and discs that you are used to seeing for any demos.

Good Luck,

Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry forgot to mention.

At 110 inches the PJ will look darker anyway as the amount of light from the bulb is spread over a greater surface. Also i doubt the 'Ikea Blind' was 110 inches.

Matt White all the way ( Gain of 1.0)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts