Replacement for Samsung QE50Q65T (2020) QLED HDR 4K

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Bought a Samsung QE50Q65T in 2020 from John Lewis.
Screen developed a fault (horizontal lines) last year. Screen (display panel) was replaced under warranty.
A year later and the new unit has developed the same fault. John Lewis are writing it off (it would cost them over £600 just to get the part)
They have offered me £549 insurance or a Samsung UE55BU8500 (2022) as the nearest replacement - I suspect the amount is because of the cost of this TV.

There are a couple of issues.
One is that the TV they are offering is a standard LED, whereas the current one is a QLED. I don't know what the 2022 LED screens are like in comparison to the 2020 QLEDs.
The other is that this would be the 2nd Samsung TV to fail at less than 5 years old, and the 3rd if we count the fact that the current TV has failed twice, effectively having to replace the TV.

I don't know if I can trust Samsung any more - although I don't know if any others are more reliable.

One big issue is the money. £549 won't get me near a QLED, and cash is in really short supply - disability benefits don't stretch far.
I don't mind adding a small amount to any money provided by JL, but their cheapest QLED is £699, which would be the most I would want to spend on a TV anyway (the current TV cost that), OLEDs start at another £100 more (LG OLED48A26LA (2022) )

Any advice? I would still prefer to get from JL because of the 5 year warranty. Extra warranties elsewhere are expensive.

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I can get over to JL next week sometime, no way am I going to Milton Keynes on a weekend!

As for Richer Sounds, I don't trust them - looking through the warranty shows all sorts of get out clauses (the broken TV should be in perfect condition...with packaging... (Really!?)
I've had dealings with them in the past where advertised goods turn out to be shop-soiled (battered) etc.
I don't know if anyone else has dealings with them.

Our 2021 model LG 55” came from RS and I’ve bought tellies from them before. I think they all have some exemptions, but I keep the packaging in the eaves of the garage just in case. Quite unusable, as you imply, but at least it’s there.

As for the actual telly, our LG is OLED and there’s no doubt about how the brightness ‘pops’. If you can stretch to that 48” model I doubt you’ll regret it.

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions and advice folks.
I went into JL and had a look - the QLEDs, whilst bright, were not worth the cost over the standard ones, and the OLEDs were just too pricy.
I today settled on a LG 55UR91006LA (2023).
It was listed as £649 on JL site, but I got 10% off that for having a JL card, which is an offer open to anyone of course. I therefore had to pay £30 towards the new TV.

So I got a 55 inch with a reasonable spec. Obviously not going to be as super-bright as the OLEDs, but disability benefits don't come with home cinema allowances ;)
:LOL:
They don't even include guitar allowances, which I think is very remiss of them...but then they barely come with enough for food and rent, so I guess it could be worse :eek:

silverback

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi Guy's i need advice on what tv to go for it's between 2022 Sony 65 K95 or the LG 65 G3? Thanks for any advice it's much appreciated Cheer's 🍻

Dicky-Art

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I've had dealings with them in the past where advertised goods turn out to be shop-soiled (battered) etc.
I don't know if anyone else has dealings with them.
I've been using them all my life (since my first CD player late 80s) I bought a x demo unit from them <£100 as new, when the remote function failed they replaced the player with a brand new one. I bought my last Samsung QLED from there a couple years ago. They're 60 miles away but always get a listening room booked and spent many an afternoon there being plied with coffee....sorry you did ask!

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
John Lewis are very good. A guy i know bought a Samsung 65/70 inch OLED Tv before COVID 19 Curved TV ( yes one of those thankfully they stopped selling them "Rubbish" ) They was very good , gave him a new TV but failed to pick it up , So he sold it as seen (middle screen not working ) mate bought it for £50 . Bought a new screen for £150 and fitted it in. Last 14 months only . But think he did well for what he paid for it. The whole curved screen is a gimmick and pointless (except for gaming ) ie a complete waste of money and time . Why did they bother with it ???? Not one of Samsungs better idea s they have a good top of the range and middle range TVs butr lack any cheap range ones , that most buyers buy now

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Hisense does a QLED but what advantages is it ?? compared with OLED/LED/Micro LED/Mini Led All of this is confusing and it is meant to be confuse the public as they no nothing just like the fancy name ? Wow can i think of sexy names too . What is best ? well the Sony is the best TV on the market (forget any other names ) sexy names ? Quadron Telstar Venus Jupiter Mars people like sci fi names another name is Spectrum . Does a name make a difference , sorry to say it does . we gone through mini,micro ,laser . By the way look at the new Hisense Laser 90 inch strange no one else , is making one of these or are they under a different name . What wonderful thing they going to make that bombs ? Yes the curved screen was a explosion ,what was the point of it ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts