brighter screens ?

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
it appears a US company has designed a new brighter screen now for OLED, but is there a ;point to this , i thought OLED displays will be replaced, by the next generation of displays , which are to replace the OLED and QLEDS in late 2023 ??
So is there a ;point to this , i am not sure. They say the OLEDs screens are not bright enough ? Lets be honest, no way in a million years are you going to get PLASMA screens , i still reckon the last ,model Panasonic 2013, screen still has not been beaten , by LED screens be it mini LED or what ever . Not i have seen in any showroom and that included the £5k Sony. yes it is better than any PLASMA and many ways but still lacks that PLASMA screen boldness. But the main problems with them is weight, eats power and not SMART

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I had one of roughly that vintage. OLED is so much better in every way.
you seem to forgot one thing they certainly are not better plasma last a lot longer experts say they last up to 30 years mins are 11 years old and my 2004 pioneer model is still working for another person . The average life of of any LED is up to 6 years that is why they guarantee? them for 6 years ie Samsung. My TCL is good it does 4k but there is a small difference on standard 1080p transmission. and SD the plasma appears to be better .not sure why i run both the plasma 50 nd TCL both 50 inch together this included a standard DVD playing the same film too . using the normal screen choice , the plasma had better and easier screen choices film sport normal. modes Sport mode has always been good with the 2012 model. it the 4k UHD that there is a difference . Unlike a TCL LED UHD 4k The plasma can warm up a room for the winter. ( the major reason why they stopped making them anymore . And the fact the fact certain Countries never made them ?? And cannot make them cheap either

The plasma can warm up a room for the winter. ( the major reason why they stopped making them anymore

A TV's inefficiency isn't a plus. It might be cold at the moment, but for most of the year, many houses require no heating whatever.

you seem to forgot one thing they certainly are not better plasma last a lot longer experts say they last up to 30 years mins are 11 years old and my 2004 pioneer model is still working for another person

You are very keen on quoting those you consider experts - perhaps a link is in order, rather than just repeating this? And whatever might be said, it's still speculative - no household plasma is 30 years old, and no mature-product OLED is more than a few years old. Whilst sustainability is increasingly important, I doubt a guess-at 30 year lifespan would feature too highly on my wish list.

Besides, whilst they may still be functioning (and the same is true of our two Panasonic plasmas and the Pioneer we gave to someone else), I suspect performance has degraded in the same was as OLED almost certainly will.

Reactions: busb

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a 42” Pana plasma set with a grey 2” bezel - it physically buzzed like hell according to how bright the screen was!
The image quality did deteriorate after ~10yrs, requiring readjustment that improved it a bit. I replaced it with an LG OLED55G1 on launch during 2021. It’s pic quality is streets ahead of plasma & am not convinced it’s picture will get worse more quickly than a plasma set would either. The OLED's peak brightness is also better & the screen is black, not mid grey when off & its contrast is far greater.
The worst aspect of OLEDs is greater motion artefacts than other technologies. Whether or not Samsung’s QD-OLED technology will supplant LG's remains to be seen.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
i have had 5 PLASMA all bought s/h in the last 5 years all still in use the olkdest is
I had a 42” Pana plasma set with a grey 2” bezel - it physically buzzed like hell according to how bright the screen was!
The image quality did deteriorate after ~10yrs, requiring readjustment that improved it a bit. I replaced it with an LG OLED55G1 on launch during 2021. It’s pic quality is streets ahead of plasma & am not convinced it’s picture will get worse more quickly than a plasma set would either. The OLED's peak brightness is also better & the screen is black, not mid grey when off & its contrast is far greater.
The worst aspect of OLEDs is greater motion artefacts than other technologies. Whether or not Samsung’s QD-OLED technology will supplant LG's remains to be seen.
I have had 5 PLASMAs from Panasonic Samsung and Pioneer oldest was the Pioneer 2003 late model and the Samsung 2004 model both still working well with other users both Panasonics i sold to buyers also working well all over 11 years old ( in fact the guy so happy with it he offered to buy another one i said no way sorry) My current 3D 50 inch is only 11 years old. i keep until whenever. Love to see any current one last over 10 years ( remember your one is just one year old , will it last ? well i cannot last because that would no one would buy another . They have a limited use . what ever that is probably 6 years . Not bad if you spent under £500 . A good buy indeed . Warranty on many is only 3 years anyway . If ;people was buying new PLASMA now the industry in China would be belly up . No Chinese company ever made PLASMA I believe only Sony Panasonic LG Samsung and Pioneer unless some one can add another company I know Panasonics was Hungry plus others Pioneer was UK mainly. Not sure about Sony Samsung and LG was they made in Japan South Korea or was they made in Europe ??

i have had 5 PLASMA all bought s/h in the last 5 years all still in use the olkdest is

I have had 5 PLASMAs from Panasonic Samsung and Pioneer oldest was the Pioneer 2003 late model and the Samsung 2004 model both still working well with other users both Panasonics i sold to buyers also working well all over 11 years old ( in fact the guy so happy with it he offered to buy another one i said no way sorry) My current 3D 50 inch is only 11 years old. i keep until whenever. Love to see any current one last over 10 years ( remember your one is just one year old , will it last ? well i cannot last because that would no one would buy another . They have a limited use . what ever that is probably 6 years . Not bad if you spent under £500 . A good buy indeed . Warranty on many is only 3 years anyway . If ;people was buying new PLASMA now the industry in China would be belly up . No Chinese company ever made PLASMA I believe only Sony Panasonic LG Samsung and Pioneer unless some one can add another company I know Panasonics was Hungry plus others Pioneer was UK mainly. Not sure about Sony Samsung and LG was they made in Japan South Korea or was they made in Europe ??
Not sure where you get your "facts" from.

1) Plasma TVs were very much being made in China as well. In fact, Panasonic had a plant in Shanghai.

2) Plasma TV lifespan was 45000 to 60000 hours, while OLED TV lifespan is 100000 hours (that's double of plasma).

WayneKerr

Yeah, my 55" Pannie plasma has developed a buzz on brighter screens over the last 2 years. Apparently there is a fix which requires locking washers applied to one of the PCB's, got the bits but haven't fitted them yet.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, my 55" Pannie plasma has developed a buzz on brighter screens over the last 2 years. Apparently there is a fix which requires locking washers applied to one of the PCB's, got the bits but haven't fitted them yet.
Unusual to have a 55 that must have been there largest at the time i know LG ? had a 60 as i was offered the TV at £120 from a shop it was huge and very very heavy too and eats power. looks like a minor problem but something have to do yourself. as getting a electrician is expensive indeed. I still keeping the 3D 50 2012 model i have had that now 3 years bought it in 2019 i think . My TCL 50 inch i stop paying for it in February at £50 a month (£256 total cost) I just might get another one or a Hisense.. Been offered £60 for the Panasonic but refused it . Worth more maybe £80 The only reason to sell it would be the power it uses . yes the TCL has 4k but on HD standard 1080P there is very little in it. Both TVs are 60 hz Panasonic sounds is better mind you ..

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Sorry Flash, typo, it is a 50", Pannie VT50 with 3D :)
Ah still nice what year was this made 2012 This was the last one they made think there was a 65 and a 55 This is the famous pure black technology . There was two controllers one a strange affair Touch pad with the Kuro the best ever made ,that was from Pioneer , they still come up for sale new £500. The 3D was the ultimate TV ever made with THX technology the best sounds too . A real piece of history indeed. If only they made them today knocks spots on anything now if they continued with development . I have seen a 105/6 inch plasma for sale if was very cheap £250 one minor problem okay two weight and size oh yeh power 1kw The Kuro was made in 60 inch form

WayneKerr

Ah still nice what year was this made 2012 This was the last one they made think there was a 65 and a 55 This is the famous pure black technology . There was two controllers one a strange affair Touch pad with the Kuro the best ever made ,that was from Pioneer , they still come up for sale new £500. The 3D was the ultimate TV ever made with THX technology the best sounds too . A real piece of history indeed. If only they made them today knocks spots on anything now if they continued with development . I have seen a 105/6 inch plasma for sale if was very cheap £250 one minor problem okay two weight and size oh yeh power 1kw The Kuro was made in 60 inch form
Yep, I got it in 2012. I'm gonna wait for it to go bang before I replace it. Must admit that the Pioneer Kuro was in a league of its own.

I'm really not sure about the plasma vs OLED argument. My brother wanted to replace his ageing 50" plasma a couple of years ago and Gel on here recommended the LG C1 OLED, I must say that the picture is stunning, sound isn't too shabby either.

WayneKerr

Sorry, I don’t understand - it seems you’re asking me a question. I offloaded mine March 2021.
As an aside, both my LG OLEDs completely outclass in colour rendition, black level, weight & looks when off.
Thought maybe you had the same buzzing issue and had tried the fix without success. As long as mine still works I'll hang on to it as they don't make 3D sets anymore (y)

TRENDING THREADS