SACD players

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am interested in a system recommended by What HI-FI in South Africa.

MarantzPM 6002,Marantz CD 6002,B&W 685'S with QED Silver Anniversary XT Cables.However the CD player is not capable of playing SACD.Should I go up to the Marantz CD player one up in their line or do you not really rate the quality of SACD that highly.I will listen to some classic music but not that much.Is it really worth the extra money or is the rest of the system no going to give me the real benefit (speakers,amp etc)

A

Anonymous

SACD's definitely sound great... they are, however, becoming increasingly difficult to find. Unless you already have a collection I would not worry about moving up in players.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Be aware that all CD players will play SACDs (except 'single layer' SACDs which are tiny in number) but only the CD layer, not the SACD layer (usually stereo and multichannel). If you want the enhanced sound then you'll need to buy a SACD player which will obviously play CDs as well. Now, I have a Sony SACD player (multichannel) which unfortunately is no longer in production. I also have a large collection of SACDs and can vouch for the terrific quality of sound in most cases. However, there are no more than 5,000+ discs available to buy and the majority are classical music, very little jazz, rock, etc. Take a look at the website sacd-net and you'll see what's available. Also why don't you audition the Marantz players as they are said to be terrific even though they are mainly (all?) 2 channel only. Of course, if you want to go multi-channel then you'll need all the extra speakers, etc.

Happy buying!

T

the record spot

Have a look at either the Pioneer PD-SJ6 (or whatever it is) at £350 - tuned by AIr Studios as well as Pioneer's own boffins. Marantz do their SA-7001 standard player at £349 or the Ken Ishiwata KI-Signature version of the same for just under £600. You can probably trawl the web and get a deal and I know until recently that Hi Fi Confidential in London had the latter for £499.

I'd be inclined to go for the Marantz KI-S, but the Pioneer is very well reviewed and would be worth a listen too.

A

Anonymous

Hi Collectus

Maybe go for a turn-table somewhere down the line as surely there are many vinyls available and seem to be becoming increasingly popular once again.

Regards

Peter

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
you could take a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260233062788&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

I have this machine, I love it! Its built like a tank! and SACD sounds amazing.

T

the record spot

Check out the Oppo player in this month's WHFS&V - Oppo DVD-980H - they're not well known in the UK and it's a universal DVD player, but the brand gets a corking recommendation from some US forums, not least the Steve Hoffman site. Well worth checking out if you want an introduction to SACD without handing over too many readies. £160 and it comes with an SACD-DSD feature which will do the job if partnered (it says 'ere) with a suitable amp.

A

Anonymous

I have had this player for a few months - it is fantastic.

It's a great movie player - but I needed a multi-channel SACD and DVD-A player and there is nothing like it near the price. Add in the 1.2 HDMI and I was amazed at the features per pound.

Their customer support is excellent too. The most satifying HiFi purchase I have ever made!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts