RP6 platter wobble

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I know I spoke to Robert who runs inspire last night about my problems - to say the least he wasn't surprised!

The Quest Clear is better engineered, it has a solidmachined sub platter unlike Rega which is cast with a bit of plastic fitted to it - I'm off today to have a look at one! It looks nice too.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
If you can afford it Steve that 202 arm isnt all that great in the sq dept go up the ladder. You could ask him ,if you buy one, to make it with the good old single hole big funkin nut way of doing things. Just toss options in the air mate.

Have fun.

Edit. Black would look super cool btw , nice dust attractor but dust is 8) I luvs it I does.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
floyd droid said:
Up your ante 50 quid and look at the Project Debut Carbon Esprit.

OK thanks.

I assume this would be a big step up: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INSPIRE-QUEST-CLEAR-BLUE-TURNTABLE-WITH-RB202-ORTOFON-2M-BLUE-/290957479110?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item43be6accc6

from the Project Debut Carbon Esprit?

Lol definitely

im off to inspire Hifi today at 130 to demo one and have a look at the build quality - they have a machined platter better than the Rega plastic one, just better build quality all round I'd say.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You will not go far wrong with Inspire products,

I Inspired my Rega P7, Like Andyb i did a home upgrade, after Robert sent me the 50mm beech ply plinth finished in Zebrano to match my Spendor SA1s.

With a few simple tools and a bit of knowhow the finished poduct looks and sounds superb.

As for the 3 point arm fixing, I would defy anyone to try and move it as its screwed into the solid plinth.

Trouble is there are a lot posters here who are not engineers and clearly do not know what they are talking about..............

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
Trouble is there are a lot posters here who are not engineers and clearly do not know what they are talking about..............

Unfortuantely Sospri I aint one of them. 40 yrs in the Precision Engineering trade , various aspects of it. So unless you have the same experience I've probably forgotten more than you will ever know.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Sospri said:

Unfortuantely Sospri I aint one of them. 40 yrs in the Precision Engineering trade , various aspects of it. So unless you have the same experience I've probably forgotten more than you will ever know.

What a stupid comment,

I have also the same amount of experiance in precision engineering design,, so please do not presume you know more than anyone else.

From your comments I would give you no more work experiance..................

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Truce indeed :cheers:.

Now as a designer , tell me how you go about new projects.

When I design , lets say a Plastics Die Mould , from a componant drawing ,I look for what could go wrong first.

You can see why I'm up in arms about these flippin self tappers.

Back in a bit ,I'm off for a drug.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that self tappers question is all about what they are scewed into,

In my case they are screwed into 50mm solid beech ply, and as I drilled the holes myself I made them smaller than normal and were very hard to screw in,in fact i had to use sillicon oil to get them to seat firmly. That is why its as solid as a rock.

So I think that it depends on what material the screws are seated in.....................

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Well the ply is less prone to strip than particle board. Ok ,if its a case of bolt on the arm and leave it then fine but on saying that for the price of three thread inserts Rega would have covered the chance of someone being a tad ham fisted in the allen key / screwdriver dept and stripping the plinth if they go the vta shim route. Also the fixings would have been more structurally sound , regardless.

No idea if the three point moulding on the arm is cored out underneath , but if not that would be good as the thread inserts would be pulling up onto a solid base if you get my drift.

I have no issues with Rega as a company , I said earlier in the thread that I would be in rant mode whoever made the bloomin thing.

Ply tends to grip like the proverbrial in most cases btw.

Hey Mr Gandy you need me , really you do ,lol.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I went to Inspire hifi to have a listen to the Quest Clear with RB202 arm & Ortofon 2m Blue, TBH I wasn't bowled over by the looks but more importantly didnt think it sounded anywhere as nice as my RP6/10x5 - maybe it was the cart? I dont know, however he was using a standard Rega subplatter even though they will come with there own machined platter!

To change over to the Quest is going to cost me £149 more than a refund I will get for the RP6 so the Inspire is off the radar now.

I will see what happens tomorrow with the RP6 Rega send to Moorgate - If the platter is ok then I think I will just keep it and accept that it is a bit of MDF or whatever, it does sound good IMO and I do like the look of it and I cannot sink anymore money into HiFi as I have just bought the Dino & 10x5.

If hte platter is still wobbling then you will all have to watch this space............

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I kind of hope you stick with the rega.

You like the sound, you like the looks.

There are not that many comparable turntables around that price and you do get a nice arm with it.

So the chassis may 'only' be a laminated piece of MDF but its also a time served material. I doubt it is any more resonant than a metal one and it is really only the lack of suspension I personally would miss. There are probably suspension platforms available to solve that too.

Rega may have gotten some stick here and elsewhere but it is worth remembering that they probably sell more turntables than all the others together, Project excepted. They are bound to have more negative press in forums because of that. Needs to be put into perspective me thinks.

I'd probably happily have one if I can't have a Gyrodeck but that is substantially more expensive.

regards

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yeah I know I spoke to Robert who runs inspire last night about my problems - to say the least he wasn't surprised!

The Quest Clear is better engineered, it has a solidmachined sub platter unlike Rega which is cast with a bit of plastic fitted to it - I'm off today to have a look at one! It looks nice too.
Shock horror! Someone from a rival company isn't surprised!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:

There are not that many comparable turntables around that price and you do get a nice arm with it.

So the chassis may 'only' be a laminated piece of MDF but its also a time served material. I doubt it is any more resonant than a metal one and it is really only the lack of suspension I personally would miss. There are probably suspension platforms available to solve that too.

Rega may have gotten some stick here and elsewhere but it is worth remembering that they probably sell more turntables than all the others together, Project excepted. They are bound to have more negative press in forums because of that. Needs to be put into perspective me thinks.

I'd probably happily have one if I can't have a Gyrodeck but that is substantially more expensive.

regards

Totally agree, theres not much Im going to get for £549

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Shock horror! Someone from a rival company isn't surprised!

I went into rant mode to Steve over this earlier today plus there was more, much more.

Lesson one . Dont slag off competitors gear you could end up flat on yer ass if your product dosnt come up to scratch.

You may think it ,but never say it.

Dont b/s a potential customer about this that and the other , there is always somebody who knows the real story.

In this case 'that'll be me then'.

Edit. My lips are sealed.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
drummerman said:

regards

Totally agree, theres not much Im going to get for £549

Not new anyway, if thats important.

regards

TRENDING THREADS