RP6 platter wobble

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Considering the tone arm on a RP3 alone costs £300 then getting the whole deck for £50 more is a bargain. I'm happy they cant print a logo properly!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I can't really complain at Rega, I have got a £749 deck (without cart) for £549 and the RB303 & TTPSU together is woth £500!

My platter is running straight too so its a Win Win for me!

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So I couldn't resist getting out the dial guage and measuring my platter.

Less than 0.1mm of "wobble"

No idea if that is good, bad or ugly — but it seems fair enough.

blackholesun

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I have just come home with a brand new RP6. Unfortunately I also noticed a slight wobble on mine.

http://youtu.be/ijL7MQ75rsk

What do you think? Should I replace the platter?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
blackholesun said:
I have just come home with a brand new RP6. Unfortunately I also noticed a slight wobble on mine.

Looks quite bad, maybe not just the platter I would get the whole thing replaced or get a refund.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
blackholesun said:

Looks quite bad, maybe not just the platter I would get the whole thing replaced or get a refund.

Exactly, thats simply not good enough, I was there when Moorgate Acoustics rang Rega, Rega tech guy said the RP6 should not wobble and they would be sending a new deck the next day......and they did and was happy!

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
blackholesun said:

AH ! That would be the lesser spotted Brock wobble............;)

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
It's quite a legit question: Yourself, Steve, CJ, and a couple of others who are Rega owners seem to like to use the upgrade path Rega offer.

I've had my Pro-ject for around 6 years and only upgraded the cart. There's no platter wobble, no distortion, woe and flutter... In fact I've only checked the arm weight twice in these past six years.

I don't subscribe to "because of the forum..." line. My philosophy if it's good enough straight from the box then its a good TT. If it needs the upgrade path something is amiss IMO. Probably this is why I don't gravitate to Rega that much.

Says the man with a Naim CD player...aherm.

T

the record spot

Happy_Listner said:
It doesn't surprise me I always found Rega turntables build quality to be mediocre.

My P3 was fine. No issues with it at all and it saw heavy use from 2000 to 2008. Sure the plinth was MDF but mediocre is overly critical. The arm was obviously good enough for other manufacturers to use in their own designs or for modding.

the record spot said:
plastic penguin said:
It's quite a legit question: Yourself, Steve, CJ, and a couple of others who are Rega owners seem to like to use the upgrade path Rega offer.

I've had my Pro-ject for around 6 years and only upgraded the cart. There's no platter wobble, no distortion, woe and flutter... In fact I've only checked the arm weight twice in these past six years.

I don't subscribe to "because of the forum..." line. My philosophy if it's good enough straight from the box then its a good TT. If it needs the upgrade path something is amiss IMO. Probably this is why I don't gravitate to Rega that much.

Says the man with a Naim CD player...aherm.

It was cheap...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
RP6 still good for the money IMO and the RB303 is a good tonearm at its price point so much so i have a Gyrodec SE / RB303 on order - the RB303 will not be permanent - i have an SME IV in sight!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean mate!!!!!

remeber this PP LMAO :):):):):):)

I'm very tempted myself but trying to hold out for a Gyro, assuming, of course, the Pulse doesn't go up in a puff of smoke.

stevebrock said:

I'm very tempted myself but trying to hold out for a Gyro, assuming, of course, the Pulse doesn't go up in a puff of smoke.

Envy gets you nowhere.

How long have I had the Leema? How many times has it gone back for the headphone socket to be looked at?

How long did you have the Elicit-R? How many replacements did you have in that time?

Remember this Steve LMAO :) :clap: :rofl: :grin: :wave: :) :clap:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

Envy gets you nowhere.

How long have I had the Leema? How many times has it gone back for the headphone socket to be looked at?

How long did you have the Elicit-R? How many replacements did you have in that time?

Remember this Steve LMAO :) :clap: :rofl: :grin: :wave: :) :clap:

Very much so and i got rid!

stevebrock said:
you were going to get a gyro, now your bidding on an ebay thorens

Yet again, you've misread the whole situation. On my wish list would be a Gyro, but have long conceded that I couldn't justify the expense given I don't play vinyl that much. And I certainly don't have £1700 or so for a basic TT and arm.

No, not bidding on a Thorens, but rather a Garrard, purely because it's a nostagia trip in the hope it'll get me more interested in the black stuff.

TRENDING THREADS