Roon v1.5

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
It surely is something to do with a network gremlin. Will probably need a geeky guy to sort this out.

Are both your PC and wxc50 hard wired to Lan. I read somewhere on avforums a similar issue with a music cast enabled Yamaha avr. And apparently the problem was with the subnet mask being used by the PC. Will see what I can find on this
my Pc is actually wireless WiFi 5gb and the Yamaha wxc50 is weird and the Oppo is wired as well but I do have a fast internet connection because I am on virgin media which is fibre optic broadband which I think I get over a 100mg of speed but obviously the Pc is on WiFi because it’s on the other side of the room which I cannot do much about .

anyway I will look at it again tomorrow with a clear head and hopefully get it going .

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Did you "share" the folder the flac files are in on the PC BS?

If you can "see" other files on the PC from the yamaha or Oppo but not the specific folder the flac files are in then it won't be a wifi issue but an access rights issue.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
Just wasted £34, you could have had EAC as freeware at absolutely no cost, just as good as dBpoweramp. As for album art I prefer to find my own via another free program called Album Art Downloader.

Lots of useful features in dBpoweramp, which if you are ripping lots of CDs makes the £34 a worthwhile investment in my opinion. I believe dB can be downloaded and used free for a limited time, so probably worth comparing to EAC before a decision about which way to jump is made.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'm glad does. It wasn't easy to find :)
currently I’ve setup Roon and download the app for the iPad which worked after a while because I had to reset the router then it linked up with my Roon account .

The Pc is busy sorting out all the information to do with my library

currently I’ve only managed to do airplay of the Yamaha wxc50 which I am limited to file format but in regards of the server side on the Yamaha it still shows the iTunes albums but it’s not connected to Roon I think that’s separate as you use the Roon remote on the iPad instead of the Yamaha music cast app .

I have not found the settings yet on the Roon remote or the software on my Pc to do with server sending but I’ve got to get to know the Roon software first but so far very good

insider9

There's no server settings as such. All you need is to tell Roon which folder/folders your music is located in (Settings->Storage). Then you chose an audio device (Settings->Audio). Scroll down to see Networked devices, you should see your Oppo there. These should be done as part of installation anyway.

If you want you can also allow use more of the processing power (Settings->Library->Background Audio Analysis Speed)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Just been looking around at different software I came across Jriver which is a lot cheaper then Roon but not sure if it’s any good

I tried JRiver, I will say one the worst softwares I have ever used. They hate streaming from services such as Tidal and Spotify, just read some of the anti-streaming forum posts. Anyway it did not work well with Tidal, they admit there is a problem but tend to blame others for any issues. For playing ripped cds it maybe fine. I thought JR was rather amateurish and their support was just a forum which was not helpful if you had problems. Good luck.
[font="Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif"]You could try foobar2000 that is free.[/font]

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
There's no server settings as such. All you need is to tell Roon which folder/folders your music is located in (Settings->Storage). Then you chose an audio device (Settings->Audio). Scroll down to see Networked devices, you should see your Oppo there. These should be done as part of installation anyway.

If you want you can also allow use more of the processing power (Settings->Library->Background Audio Analysis Speed)
yes I’ve got it set to full throttle at the moment as it’s reading my library but not sorted the Oppo yet as I have to have it switched on for Roon to see it

but like the Roon software very easy to setup and looks good too and sounds very good playing music though the Yamaha wxc50 on airplay

Samd

insider9 said:

You are asking BS to use 203 as an endpoint for Roon rather than his amp but doesn't that entail using a digital connection to his amp from the 203 or his stereo speakers connected to 203? If the former what are the benefits sound-wise of this approach at all?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
That means the only way for Roon to send to it is Airplay. That means everything would be resampled to 48kHz.

Unless Roon is re-sampling its AirPlay output, this isn’t correct. Audio is sent as ALAC at 44.1.

insider9

Sabbaths doesn't have a USB DAC in any of his components. Neither he is able to output optical from his PC.

Oppo being Roon Ready will work better over network than the Yamaha WXC-50. Airplay will be resampled to 48kHz. Another benefit could come from the fact PC could be in a different room, although this is not a case here.

Samd

insider9 said:
Sabbaths doesn't have a USB DAC in any of his components. Neither he is able to output optical from his PC.

Oppo being Roon Ready will work better over network than the Yamaha WXC-50. Airplay will be resampled to 48kHz. Another benefit could come from the fact PC could be in a different room, although this is not a case here.

Thanks - yes I appreciate that but presumably he will be using his current connection (HDMI, Coax or optical) from the Oppo to his amp and will lose any claimed sound benefit in the process? Your point about the pc in another room raises the additional question of what actual kit will be used then to select tracks etc? I know little about Roon (have you noticed yet!) but am interested although it would make my CXN obsolete.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Oppo is connected by hdmi obviously for films but I have the Oppo connected with some RCAs through to the Yamaha A-S3000 but In regards of the Yamaha wxc50 that’s connected with RCAs through to the Yamaha A-S3000 directly on its line level 1 input but currently using airplay.

But wanted the Yamaha to actually play some better quality file formats but it is playing the flac files I’ve ripped so far which is obviously cd quality but not sure if I am getting flac or it’s down sampled .

it shouldn’t matter where my Pc is as it’s connected into the Roon network

insider9

Samd said:
insider9 said:

Thanks - yes I appreciate that but presumably he will be using his current connection (HDMI, Coax or optical) from the Oppo to his amp and will lose any claimed sound benefit in the process?  Your point about the pc in another room raises the additional question of what actual kit will be used then to select tracks etc?  I know little about Roon (have you noticed yet!) but am interested although it would make my CXN obsolete.
Roon remote will be used to operate it. It can be an app on a tablet or smartphone, a laptop, another PC. The choice is rather big.

The whole idea of Roon is to free you from a conventional setup and give you flexibility on doing things.

If you want a desktop connected to a DAC operated with mouse and keyboard that's fine. But if you want a server or a NAS under the stairs sending music to different rooms, so that everyone in your house can operate it with their phone or tablet you can also do this. Different zones playing different tracks, different sampling rates, room correction on every zone, some playing from Tidal some from local library. Very flexible approach.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have tidal integrated with Roon which blends in with your own music

One thing is if I rip a album like led zeppelin deluxe album where there are 3 CDs it shows me 3 of the same album covers on Roon is it possible to have one album cover for all 3 CDs that I’ve ripped but all the songs showing under one heading ?

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
I have tidal integrated with Roon which blends in with your own music 

One thing is if I rip a album like led zeppelin deluxe album where there are 3 CDs it shows me 3 of the same album covers on Roon is it possible to have one album cover for all 3 CDs that I’ve ripped but all the songs showing under one heading ?
Yes you can have it as a collection and it will show as CD1, CD2, CD3, etc. All will be under one cover.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Samd said:
insider9 said:

Thanks - yes I appreciate that but presumably he will be using his current connection (HDMI, Coax or optical) from the Oppo to his amp and will lose any claimed sound benefit in the process?  Your point about the pc in another room raises the additional question of what actual kit will be used then to select tracks etc?  I know little about Roon (have you noticed yet!) but am interested although it would make my CXN obsolete.
Roon remote will be used to operate it. It can be an app on a tablet or smartphone, a laptop, another PC. The choice is rather big.

The whole idea of Roon is to free you from a conventional setup and give you flexibility on doing things.

If you want a desktop connected to a DAC operated with mouse and keyboard that's fine. But if you want a server or a NAS under the stairs sending music to different rooms, so that everyone in your house can operate it with their phone or tablet you can also do this. Different zones playing different tracks, different sampling rates, room correction on every zone, some playing from Tidal some from local library. Very flexible approach.

Which Nas model is recommended for running the roon server software?
I've read an earlier comment that it's not efficient

insider9

It depends on your needs. NAS will generally have a lower processing power. But it depends on many factors, here are things to consider library size, source material (PCM or DSD), use of DSP, number of zones, upsampling.

Sure you can run Roon on Synlogy or Qnap many people do successfully. But if you want to play a few zones simultaneously with different material on each zone, with up sampling to DSD256 and room correction with a library of 10,000 albums you're probably going to need an i9 with 16GB of RAM.

To answer your question, how big is your library? Will you do upsampling, DSP? How many zones will you be running at the same time?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
But if you want to play a few zones simultaneously with different material on each zone, with up sampling to DSD256 and room correction with a library of 10,000 albums you're probably going to need an i9 with 16GB of RAM.

Roon suggests an i7 with 8GB of RAM is more than sufficient for any need: "4gb RAM minimum, 8gb is more than you will ever need. More than 8GB is not used ever."

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Synlogy do a flagship Nas drive the plus model but it costs £900 but it has a better processor and you can upgrade the Ram if you wish too and it’s a 4 bay drive Nas which will run Roon I would of thought

insider9

spiny norman said:
insider9 said:
But if you want to play a few zones simultaneously with different material on each zone, with up sampling to DSD256 and room correction with a library of 10,000 albums you're probably going to need an i9 with 16GB of RAM.

Roon suggests an i7 with 8GB of RAM is more than sufficient for any need: "4gb RAM minimum, 8gb is more than you will ever need. More than 8GB is not used ever."
I was purposely exaggerating. Imagine you're going something memory intensive at the same time ;)

TRENDING THREADS