roksan kandy or leema pulse ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

a32 , a85 , ???
emotion-4.gif
...at a push , whats best ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally I'd go down either route but with the prices as they are currently; the DiVA A85 and the P85 integrated/power combo would be my choice

There is a mint Arcam FMJ A32 for sale currently on another hifi forum (think hifi and red indians homes)
emotion-5.gif

Other then that trawl eBay!

A

Anonymous

I disagree about the Arcams. Not saying the Arcams are bad amps, just that Densen and their ilk will give you more flexibility re choices of speakers when the day comes as the Arcams do have a distinctive sonic signature. The Densens are better amps in this respect and others, plus potentially have a longer warranty...

maxflinn:salted chief
emotion-5.gif

Go with Arcam, Max.

I've just re-read your initial brief and you mentioned Spendor A6 upgrade. The Arcams are fabulous with PMC speakers: Either GB1, FB1s. My old A65 sounded really good with DB1s and I did briefly hear the A65 with GBs in a shop a few years ago. Very impressive.

A

Anonymous

And here's the key question, Max: are you a pipe, slippers and cocoa man or do like having FUN
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

i love having fun tarq , but i love a smooth , crisp , warm open sound , the one thing i desire from my sound above all else is seperation , some complex tracks just sound a bit cluttered at the moment , and in whfis review of the rx6s they do say the only negative point is ..

"In fact, the only real shortcoming this test has exposed is a slight
reluctance to organise complex recordings quite as martially as is
ideal."

now im sure that was only a small issue , the speakers are great and i love em , listening to nina simone as i type and she sounds luvverrlyy , but i do want an amp that above all helps to seperate the music ..

over to you guys again
emotion-5.gif

maxflinn:

i love having fun tarq , but i love a smooth , crisp , warm open sound , the one thing i desire from my sound above all else is seperation , some complex tracks just sound a bit cluttered at the moment , and in whfis review of the rx6s they do say the only negative point is ..

"In fact, the only real shortcoming this test has exposed is a slight reluctance to organise complex recordings quite as martially as is ideal."

now im sure that was only a small issue , the speakers are great and i love em , listening to nina simone as i type and she sounds luvverrlyy , but i do want an amp that above all helps to seperate the music ..

over to you guys again
emotion-5.gif

As regards the RX6 shortcomings, not a problem. Any speaker, amp, CDP,TT etc etc... at any price will demonstrate deficiencies. Nothing is perfect. I hope you're not setting unrealistic goals?

Arcam "pipe and slippers"? these comments are usually commented by people who don't have a clue about Arcam. At least they don't charge you several hundred pounds for a remote. If you buy into Denson that's pretty much the size of it...

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Arcam "pipe and slippers"? these comments are usually commented by people who don't have a clue about Arcam. At least they don't charge you several hundred pounds for a remote. If you buy into Denson that's pretty much the size of it...
Just as well Logitech remotes work with them, then! Still, £1100 or so for an amp with a lifetime warranty ain't bad...

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:don't know your budget max, but a 2nd hand primare i30 would make a real nice upgrade.
about e500 craig , i was prepared to spend more for a new kandy,pulse etc but im leaning more towards 2nd hand now , at least i can sell on and go again till i find something i love .. i doubt the primare would be within my grasp sadly ..

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:maxflinn:

"In fact, the only real shortcoming this test has exposed is a slight reluctance to organise complex recordings quite as martially as is ideal."

over to you guys again
emotion-5.gif

As regards the RX6 shortcomings, not a problem. Any speaker, amp, CDP,TT etc etc... at any price will demonstrate deficiencies. Nothing is perfect. I hope you're not setting unrealistic goals?

Arcam "pipe and slippers"? these comments are usually commented by people who don't have a clue about Arcam. At least they don't charge you several hundred pounds for a remote. If you buy into Denson that's pretty much the size of it...

not sure about unrealistic goals pp , maybe , i feel my room accoustics need working on for a start , and its obvious my speakers are in a different class to my cdp/amp ..

so yes im looking to improve , the thing is ive never heard my speakers with a more powerful/better amp , until i do i wont know whats what , which is why the 2nd hand road may be the best , i should get some answers without too much financial risk ..
emotion-1.gif

maxflinn:plastic penguin:maxflinn:

over to you guys again
emotion-5.gif

not sure about unrealistic goals pp , maybe , i feel my room accoustics need working on for a start , and its obvious my speakers are in a different class to my cdp/amp ..

so yes im looking to improve , the thing is ive never heard my speakers with a more powerful/better amp , until i do i wont know whats what , which is why the 2nd hand road may be the best , i should get some answers without too much financial risk ..
emotion-1.gif

I've heard Bryston system with Wilson Benesch speakers that sounded great, but for all it's qualities, wasn't perfect. Some friends of ours have a 10K B&O system which has deficiencies. My point is that an insignificant shortfall in an otherwise fabulous speaker isn't unreasonable. Hi-fi, regardless of price, is a compromise.

A

Anonymous

sure pp , i love my speakers , i just know i cant get the best out of them with my other kit , hence the amp change which was always the plan , of course i wont get perfection , im not expecting to , ill get some arcam gear and see how things go
emotion-21.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:Craig M.:don't know your budget max, but a 2nd hand primare i30 would make a real nice upgrade.
about e500 craig , i was prepared to spend more for a new kandy,pulse etc but im leaning more towards 2nd hand now , at least i can sell on and go again till i find something i love .. i doubt the primare would be within my grasp sadly ..

you could get an i30 for the price of a new kandy/pulse. the primare also has enough grunt and control for any speaker you are likely to put on it. not heard the kandy k2 but the i30 was a vast improvement on a kandy L.lll.

maxflinn:sure pp , i love my speakers , i just know i cant get the best out of them with my other kit , hence the amp change which was always the plan , of course i wont get perfection , im not expecting to , ill get some arcam gear and see how things go
emotion-21.gif

I know it's a pretty futile comment saying this now, but if I had my A65 I would've sent off for you to use for a couple of weeks.

Rubbish timing, I suppose.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:
maxflinn:Craig M.:don't know your budget max, but a 2nd hand primare i30 would make a real nice upgrade.

you could get an i30 for the price of a new kandy/pulse. the primare also has enough grunt and control for any speaker you are likely to put on it. not heard the kandy k2 but the i30 was a vast improvement on a kandy L.lll.

hmmm , thats food for thought craig , from what ive read the primare is very very good , i didnt think i could get one for e1000 ..

ill keep the option in mind for the future for sure , but right now i think ill try and stick to my current e500 2nd hand plan , i may end up with a real nice system , one that ill be happy with for a long time hopefully , and some money left for (whispers) more important things
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
maxflinn:sure pp , i love my speakers , i just know i cant get the best out of them with my other kit , hence the amp change which was always the plan , of course i wont get perfection , im not expecting to , ill get some arcam gear and see how things go
emotion-21.gif

I know it's a pretty futile comment saying this now, but if I had my A65 I would've sent off for you to use for a couple of weeks.

Rubbish timing, I suppose.
ah your a top man pp , never mind , ill defo try an arcam anyway in the coming weeks , its the standout sensible next step for me , given the obvious synergy of components , small outlay and advice from yourself and mp , dan , daveh , etc , theres no point in me asking for advice and not taking it
emotion-5.gif
.. watch this space..

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
fairy muff max, you're at the price point (2nd hand) where big gains are possible over budget kit. some careful thought about what you want, and some nifty e-baying and i'm sure you'll be blown away with the results.
emotion-21.gif

matthewpiano

One thing I would say max, is that the 2nd hand route is a good way for you to experiment with different brands and sounds. I suspect you might just find it pretty quickly with Arcam but if you don't you can always sell their gear on without making a loss.

If/when you do decide to go towards the top of your budget and buy new gear, PLEASE do it when you can take time to go and audition a few things. Reviews and recommendations can only tell you so much, as a current home audition of a 3-star reviewed amp and its associated CD player is showing me.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:fairy muff max, you're at the price point (2nd hand) where big gains are possible over budget kit. some careful thought about what you want, and some nifty e-baying and i'm sure you'll be blown away with the results.
emotion-21.gif

hopefully craig
emotion-11.gif

matthewpiano:One thing I would say max, is that the 2nd hand route is a good way for you to experiment with different brands and sounds. I suspect you might just find it pretty quickly with Arcam but if you don't you can always sell their gear on without making a loss. If/when you do decide to go towards the top of your budget and buy new gear, PLEASE do it when you can take time to go and audition a few things. Reviews and recommendations can only tell you so much, as a current home audition of a 3-star reviewed amp and its associated CD player is showing me.

LOL Matthew what are you doing?

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:One thing I would say max, is that the 2nd hand route is a good way for you to experiment with different brands and sounds. I suspect you might just find it pretty quickly with Arcam but if you don't you can always sell their gear on without making a loss.

If/when you do decide to go towards the top of your budget and buy new gear, PLEASE do it when you can take time to go and audition a few things. Reviews and recommendations can only tell you so much, as a current home audition of a 3-star reviewed amp and its associated CD player is showing me.absolutely agree mp , ive been lucky so far that munstersounds have accomodated my swapping around , ive lost nothing and gained a bit of experience along the way , and some nice gear , but ill have to give any bigger future steps more time and thought ..

i agree its easy to get taken in by the various reviews , perhaps more so where hifi is concerned than many other things , its just so subjective and relevant to surroundings , taste , etc..

i will try out the arcam route , ive nothing to lose and im confident ill like the sound , as you say its all good experience , not a big commitment and very enjoyable too
emotion-21.gif

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
HI Max

Just wondering how you got on? Did you get an arcam amp to partner your RX6s?

I'd be interested to know as Im on the verge of buying some RX6s and used to have an A85 which I thought was a bit laid back but on reflection I was using poorly matched speakers.

Bill

A

Anonymous

Hi Max,

as a fellow hifi enthusiast living in ireland, i feel your pain! it is very difficult to demo a wide range of stuff over here and home demoing is nearly out of the question. With regard to Arcam stuff, i've had a couple of their amps with B&W speakers and its always sounded pretty good, though cant comment on them with MA

Btw, the Cloney sale starts tomorrow and they have some good bargains on their site. they are the agents for Arcam and Primare so they might be worth a call. they might also take your current gear as a trade in!

best of luck and keep us updatd

Colm

TRENDING THREADS