Rings around candles

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Pleased.still.after.a.few years.with my Panny but always had the 'candle.rings' issue. What IS the name of this aberation? In dark scenes, lit by a torch, a candle or the moon - the background is rings.of colour rather than a smooth graduation. Is it a fault or can it be adjusted out?

I have calibrated it with the usual disk and I dont feel a need for professional calibration. I am perfectly content except for this annoying artifact.

Comment appreciated.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
that is colour banding I think.

Calibration may sort that out - My Cousin had all manner of issues on his 50" Panny G20 Plasma - Calibration sorted 99% of them out.

I dont think the difference it makes can be understimated. I understand you are content with the image but only because you have not seen how much better it can be. Ask Gel he was the same until recently

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Robin,

ellisdj is correct as far as I'm aware this is colour banding, I got the effect on my 55F8000 until it was calibrated and the problem persists with console gaming simply because that picture mode wasn't calibrated but with normal TV viewing and with movies calibration has corrected the issue. It's something only a truly accurate calibration can correct I'm afraid as the colours simply won't blend in the correct graduation, I watched The Woman In Black on bluray the other night and never once had the issue and that movie is full of candle light.

Vincent_Teoh

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys

First post here. I asked WHF's Reviews Editor Andy Madden during a press trip whether I can contribute here, and he said yes, though we both might have been under the influence of alcohol. :cheers: Please let me know if I'm breaking the rules.

ellisdj and Oldboy are correct - it's colour banding where smooth gradations are broken up into distinct steps. The technical term is posterization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterization

Certain picture controls can make the posterization more or less obvious. For example, pull up a scene where you see the "rings", pause it, then adjust your [Contrast] slider up and down to see if it makes a difference. A full calibration would be much more complex than this, but you get the idea.

Vincent

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys. Not the answer I wanted really but interesting. I thought my picture was fine but your suggestions indicate otherwise. I guess I believed it to be an aberation of plasmas and/or LCD's. I will certainly take time to make some adjustments and although not keen to spend on professional calibration at the moment, I might consider it if I upgrade to a bigger TV.

Funny really that I am responsible for all sound adjustments with old ears clearly suffering noticeable hearing loss and picture adjustments with equally old, colour blind eyes.

Thanks again - food for thought. :cheers:

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Vincent_Teoh said:
ellisdj and Oldboy are correct - it's colour banding where smooth gradations are broken up into distinct steps. The technical term is posterization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterization

I didnt realise it was also classed as posterization.

I though that was when faces blur and leave colour trails behind in motion - learnt something new there
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS