Why I wont be renewing my subscription

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
jetjohnson:.....Oh dear there's always one ...I could have spent my time more pleasantly than reading ill considered replies like the above ..

Claire is right, perspective is needed on a day like today ....and I for one find it very refreshing that that senior members of the editorial team post on the various forums and are prepared to explain reviews ratings etc. Of course I will disagree with some of Claire's and Andrew's views at times .....surely that's what a forum like this is all about?

And for me I don't think anyone's being paranoid here ...the original Post that started this thread really does seem to be based on a pre-conceived agenda rather than a genuine critique of the magazine's quality.

In what way was my reply ill considered exactly? Perspective may or may not be needed on a day like today (tho ive no idea why we need more on certain days - i would have thought its a good thing all the time), and i done need to be lectured by anyone on that subject thankyouverymuch.

It was a cheap shot.

As to the last sentence in your first paragraph - yes, so will i.

A

Anonymous

As a (pretty rusty) experimental psychologist, let me throw my hat into the ring regarding the HDMI issue.

Sensation and Perception are two different things. Sensation describes the mechanical transference of stimuli from the outside world into our brains, be it sound, light, or whatever. Here, the signal our brain receives is affected only be the physical make-up of the relevant equipment e.g. the quality of the mechanics of a given individual's eyes.

Perception on the other hand is the interpretation of these stimuli, and is affected by our cognitive processes, both conscious and sub-concious. An example might be an optical illlusion, where we perceive something that isn't actual present in the mechanical sensation that's entering the brain because our cognitive process expects it to be there based on other information retrieved from memory.

Perhaps we expect an £80 HDMI cable to provide a better picture than an £18 cable, and so we 'convince' ourselves that it does. (This doesn't have to be a concious decision to have a real effect!)

Personally I agree with all the previous posts that point out that, short of an actual physical defect in a cable that is causing a bad connection of some sort, digital signals should be completely unaffected by the cable being used. Either it can cope with the bandwidth or it can't, in which case you'd get no steady picture.

Testing the cables with scientific equipment that cuts out the human perception part of the equation should settle the matter once and for all: if the sensation provided by each cable is the same, then any perceived difference is all in the mind!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
al7478:the record spot:al7478:

(have you never?)

I'll make a robust defence, I will argue a point and if I overstep the mark I'll apologise in open forum. Do I pitch up, throw a snarky one out there and run? Nope. Never.

Not exactly what i asked, and you obviously are'nt very familiar with my post history. I do'nt do that either, and have had occassion to apologise in the past.
And you'll probably have to again once you re-read this thread and realise Clare was in no way having a go at anyone other than the OP. No need to be so touchy fella, the world doesn't revolve around you!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:al7478:the record spot:al7478:

(have you never?)

I'll make a robust defence, I will argue a point and if I overstep the mark I'll apologise in open forum. Do I pitch up, throw a snarky one out there and run? Nope. Never.

Not exactly what i asked, and you obviously are'nt very familiar with my post history. I do'nt do that either, and have had occassion to apologise in the past.
And you'll probably have to again once you re-read this thread and realise Clare was in no way having a go at anyone other than the OP. No need to be so touchy fella, the world doesn't revolve around you!

it doesnt revol...you mean...what the...well thatll have to bally well change, and sharpish!

i was refering to two specific posts of clare's, and im not sure she had a go at the op in either of them, as such.

my reply to the record spot has been ammended, as i didnt think the original one was clear enough.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Al, Al, Al.... I was not having a cheap shot at anyone. I was explaining - and there's no damn way i'm going into the details why here, as it's not work-related - in my post referencing Armistice Day as to why I (yes, that's right - ME - not you or anyone else!) was maybe a tad more emotional than usual.

And i'll point out - not for the first time- that we have no choice but to robustly defend the magazine's reputation when it's under unwarranted attack online, as there's no way i'm having new visitors to the site poisoned by the innuendos of others without the facts being clearly (if, in yesterday's case maybe a tad too firmly by myself!) presented in return.

Let's draw a line under this one - Eiren obviously dumped-and-ran and i'll leave everyone's thoughts here for others to consider.

I'll also take on board the constructive feedback from Will, JD and others re testing methodology/cable features.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts