Right choices for a consistent entry level Hi-Fi system

Nadryv

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I’ve just registerd and I’m here to improve my –poor- knowing about High Fidelity.

Recently I’m trying to bring my long time passion for music (which is the only reason I could learn english, so please be patient with my writing) to a better level of listening. Now that I have the chance, I’d like to give my self a Hi-Fi system good enough to get some satisfaction. Unfortunately I don’t have the grounding to make it properly, that’s why I really hope to find suggestions here.

Even though I appriciate innovations such as MP3, Blue Tooth, streaming (I’m on Spotify) etc., the first thing I did is to buy a –wonderful- ProJect Carbon turntable and I still enjoy the quality of CDs with some curiosities about audio DVDs, Blue Rays and SACDs…

I don’t like the idea of an all-in-one device even if it’d simplify it all. I’d instead to start from a (sinto?)amplifier that’d leave me some possibilities of future improvements and maybe allow internet connection. Then an unassuming CD palyer and, obviously, a couple of adequate speakers.

After long time spent searching, I realised I couldn’t combine them together with the necessary sense. I’m afraid to buy good single parts that shouldn’t ideally fit ensamble. In fact, I’m considering to choose the same brand (same serie?) at least for Amplifier and CD player (in general, I need to keep it all very simple).

My listenings are totally heterogeneous (classic, metal, jazz…), perhaps the genre I’d enjoy the most at its best reproduction could be the prog rock. My budget now is within 1000pounds and afterwards I’ll consider to add radio, DAC, wireless dongle and so on; I exclude second hand stuff as I’m tired of going around for service centers.

I hope to get some good advices to avoid throwing my money away. I’d be grateful also to receive links to some helpful internet pages.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Nadryv

Firstly, welcome to the forum...

In your circumstances, I would advise you go to the nearest dealer and have a good dem. Explain to the dealer how you need some pointers and I'm sure they'll help (make sure you tell them the max budget).

Try and ask for a amp with a built-in phono stage (Arcam, Marantz, Rotel spring to mind) so you can connect whatever turntable. Yes, I agree try and get the same amp/CDP. Not only will the aesthetics compliment each other, but you'll only need a single remote.

rainsoothe

Hey - what room size do you have? And do you need party-like volume?

For a room under 20 square meters and sane listening levels, with that budget I would go for Marantz PM6005 (amp), Marantz CD5005 (cd player), Dali Zensor 3 (speakers), Atlas Element (interconnect) and Audioquest 14/4 (speaker cable).

EDIT: Oh, yea. Try to only get gear you can audition, 5 star reviews don't mean squat if YOU don't like the sound.

goodluck

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Nadryv said:
I hope to get some good advices to avoid throwing my money away. I’d be grateful also to receive links to some helpful internet pages.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Nadryv

First read THIS.

Then, when you have the time, get a demonstration of the best speakers that you can lay your hands on for £750 (the remainder of your budget after buying an amp and CD/Blu-Ray player as per the link ;) )

Edit: PMC would be a good place to start and you might be able to get a good price on some 'ex dem' units.

Job done, money not wasted and the best sound for you, at your budget.

Nadryv

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I knew how it was going to end up after a while :)

Especially regarding the CD player, I agree with you. That's why I wouldn't dislike an Auna AV2-CD509: looks nice, does its job. I think it's more a matter of functions provided and, especially, reliability.

I could go then for an Auna amp too (same look and remote controller!), but I still feel hard to believe that it's the same of a 10times expensive one. Even though... that would leave budget for Kef LS50!

Thank you much anyway, I'll keep considering your comment.

Nadryv

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
The problem with a dealer is that he would propose only what he can sell. To buy on internet is a bore but it offers freedom of choice (and its' cheaper).

I wonder whether, ideally, is better an amplifier with Phono In or to use a preamplifier. About the aesthetic plus and single remote, I couldn't agree more with you.

Thanks!

Nadryv

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
It's a normal living room, and no party-like volume intentions (unfortunately). When I get loud I use headphones :)

Marantz would be great, especially for the amp (I'd go for somethin cheaper for the CDplayer, unless I'd change my mind about second hand stuff).

You're right regarding audition. It's not easy in many cases, but I'll try to find the Dali Zensor you suggested.

Thank you much!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Nadryv said:
I knew how it was going to end up after a while :)

Especially regarding the CD player, I agree with you. That's why I wouldn't dislike an Auna AV2-CD509: looks nice, does its job. I think it's more a matter of functions provided and, especially, reliability.

I could go then for an Auna amp too (same look and remote controller!), but I still feel hard to believe that it's the same of a 10times expensive one. Even though... that would leave budget for Kef LS50!

Thank you much anyway, I'll keep considering your comment.

TNT Audio gave a good review of the amp, but I think that you need more power to get the most of the speakers. (You can forget the 600W thing though, that's pure fantasy).

The CD/receiver looks like a bargain and certainly a good place to start, although a Blu-Ray player might offer more flexibility.

D

Deleted member 108165

Where do you live? There are some good bundled Marantz PM/CD6000 series on UK websites for roughly £480.

Nadryv

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Overdose,

I'm not sure about the amp too; honestly I'm considering it only to pair it with the CD player (in case I'd go for that one).

I read of ppl suggesting to buy a DVD player or even an old Playstation, and I'm sure it's a good tip. Though, I don't want to deal with a device not dedicated to the main function I'm going to use it for. In the long run it's annoying not to have a display intended for CD reading or missing useful functions.

Maybe I'm only looking for something a little "elegant" :)

Nadryv said:
Nice advice DougK, but I live in Milan
Not knowing the Italian market for price or availability then I'm rather at a loss to help. But I do agree with simply getting out and hearing as much as you can, wherever it is. Depatment stores, proper hifi shops, record-playing evenings (do you get those?), and audio & technology shows.

By the way, your English is better than most of us native speakers! Welcome.

Nadryv

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Nopiano,

Milan apparently doesn't offer much for this kind of activity, I'll do my best. I actually made up my mind about this purchase after hearing a rega turntable wonderfully playing through some huge speakers I'll never be able to place in my house.

Nadryv

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all the advices I received here, I'm circumscribing my research within few brands such as Onkio, Yamaha, Auna and Cambridge Audio. And slightly reduced my budget.

I still can't find a better quality/price CD player than cheap Auna; I know it sounds like a makeshift, yet I find hard to believe I could hear the difference spending twice more.

I could go then for the same brand amplifier (CD708) but I'm afraid about the general quality of Auna, like support, lifespan and various malfunctions. So I'll take the risk only for the CD player.

That’s why I'm undecided between Yamaha A-S201, Onkyo A-9030 and Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10.

Regarding the Network (Spotify) Streaming allowing me to do without the PC, I’ll probably wait for the last evolutions of this technology and prices to moderate (they’re ridiculous), using Laptop or Smartphone in the meanwhile. I'll need a Bluetooth-RCA adapter (Logitech supposedly).

Dab (internet) radio is another thing I’d like to add.

The most important thing now are speakers. Supposing that I buy the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM 10, what pair of speakers should provide the best combination? Once I’ll get your kind advices, I’ll do my best to try them all.

Thanks again!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Nadryv said:
Regarding the Network (Spotify) Streaming allowing me to do without the PC, I’ll probably wait for the last evolutions of this technology and prices to moderate (they’re ridiculous), using Laptop or Smartphone in the meanwhile. I'll need a Bluetooth-RCA adapter (Logitech supposedly).

Dab (internet) radio is another thing I’d like to add.

You might like to take a look at the Raspberry Pi audio products.

http://www.hifiberry.com/

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Turnkey products are available from various sources.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest buying everything from Cambridge Audio in your budget constraints and preferences. Dealer should make a system with a discount for you. CA also began manufacturing speakers since last year, they even sell cables and such.

Nadryv

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here's what we got up to now (for those who still care):
Pro-Ject Phono Box MM; Cambridge Audio Topaz CD5; Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5; Logitech Audio adapter Bluetooth; Q Acoustics 2010i
I think it's a respectable 'entry level' Hi-Fi (still missing the Network part)

I'm just not sure whether the speakers are the right ones for the amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts