A new cartridge

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi I hope everyone is well ..

I’m looking at replacing my cartridge and would like some advice from people in the know.

At the moment I’m using the 2m blue, a little to clinical for me I think so maybe something with a more analogue sound !!!

My turntable is the Project Classic, my Amp is a Creek evo 50a, I’m using the on board phono inside my amp.. I think the capacitance is 220pf but I’m not sure..my cable probably adds a further 100..

So what cartridge would go well with that turntable/arm and that amplifiers phono stage.

I was considering the AT vm95Ml but it states a capacitance between 100/200…..am I overthinking the whole capacitance aspect of it obviously testing cartridges is difficult. Lastly a budget of £200 max.

Thanks for any help...

As well as those mentioned you might look at the Goldring G1006 or indeed the new E4.
Both just within your budget.
Or better still the MOFI Studiotracker that will leave you the princely sum of £1
The 1006 is a bit long in the tooth but, as with the 1042, they are still making them for a reason.
I haven't heard the E4, so my money would be the more expensive MOFI..
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonepostal

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
As well as those mentioned you might look at the Goldring G1006 or indeed the new E4.
Or better still the MOFI Studiotracker that will leave you the princely sum of £1
The 1006 is a bit long in the tooth but, as with the 1042, they are still making them for a reason.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestions

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

I do tend to over analyse things ..
No harm in that, it's better than not caring about anything 👍

I had a Harman Kardon amp that had a cap trim switch and you could hear HF reduce as you increased the capacitance.
But that was with an old VMS type Ortofon cartridge - to which capacitance was apparently more critical.

Of course you could rightly ask the question, that if it's so unimportant, then why quote the capacitance requirement? 🤔

No harm in that, it's better than not caring about anything 👍

I had a Harman Kardon amp that had a cap trim switch and you could hear HF reduce as you increased the capacitance.
But that was with an old VMS type Ortofon cartridge - to which capacitance was apparently more critical.

Of course you could rightly ask the question, that if it's so unimportant, then why quote the capacitance requirement? 🤔
Tends to be a tad more critical with MC cartridges I think.....
I seem to recall an old Ortofon VMS cartridge I had that required a small connecting plate between the rear pins for this purpose.....

Just to muddy the waters some more I'm now considering the Sumiko rainier....anyone got any thoughts on this brand.....
It's American so not many UK user's will have seen one.
Come fitted as standard on some US decks I believe just like Ortofon in Europe.
Regards stylus profiles the more advanced ones like Shibata are going to dig out more treble from your LP so if you want "warmer" then avoid .....

I’m looking at replacing my cartridge and would like some advice from people in the know.

At the moment I’m using the 2m blue, a little to clinical for me I think so maybe something with a more analogue sound !!!

My turntable is the Project Classic, my Amp is a Creek evo 50a, I’m using the on board phono inside my amp.. I think the capacitance is 220pf but I’m not sure..my cable probably adds a further 100..

So what cartridge would go well with that turntable/arm and that amplifiers phono stage.

I was considering the AT vm95Ml but it states a capacitance between 100/200…..am I overthinking the whole capacitance aspect of it obviously testing cartridges is difficult. Lastly a budget of £200 max.

Thanks for any help...
I have just read in your signature you’ve put a Bronze stylus in your Blue. Is it the Bronze that is too clinical, or the Blue stylus? (The Bronze body isn’t the same as the one on the Blue or Red. It is partnered with the Black though.)

Frankly, if it’s the Blue then I’m struggling to know what to suggest, other than to remind you that the Red is the warmest in the range. However, to my ears the Red is quite congested and basic sounding; the Blue is much better all round.

The AT range is altogether more open and refined to me, hence my choice on the Technics. I believe a SH profile might be a fraction sweeter than my ML from the reviews.

Nagaoka tend to be mellow, but I think they’re very pricy now. It’s not just a handful of records that are mastered too hot that’s putting you off, is it? Is everything set spot on?

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hope this helps.
Can't comment on the goldring e4 but have the e3 on a system deck iix and it's very good.
It's older award from what hifi got me interested hence the price drop.

Last edited:

Mickj7

Jan 13, 2024
Visit site

Thanks for any help...

Hi mate. I'm no expert but have been researching cartridges, as I probably need to get my MC cartridge re-tipped and am considering "downgrading" to MM to save the hassle of re-tips every few years.

As far as I know the ML - or Micro line or Micro Ridge stylus profile is the longest lasting and will last you about 1000 hours. The Shiabata does not last as long. Also the ML when it gradually wears down it doesn't affect sound quality or damage your records. However, the ML are brighter sounding than the Shiabata stylus which are supposedly smoother sounding. The more expensive Audio Technica Mm cartridges offer the choice of using Elliptical, ML and Shiabata and the ML is cheaper (apparently because Audio Technica pay more for the Shiabata than the Shiabata even though the ML is generally considered the better stylus profile. If you have a bright system though it may be better avoiding the ML. AT cartridges are supposed to sound a bit bright anyway compared to other brands like Nagoaka. This is only what I've read. this discussion might interest you https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ed-of-snake-oil-and-ridiculous-pricing.33690/

Last edited:

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have just read in your signature you’ve put a Bronze stylus in your Blue. Is it the Bronze that is too clinical, or the Blue stylus? (The Bronze body isn’t the same as the one on the Blue or Red. It is partnered with the Black though.)

Frankly, if it’s the Blue then I’m struggling to know what to suggest, other than to remind you that the Red is the warmest in the range. However, to my ears the Red is quite congested and basic sounding; the Blue is much better all round.

The AT range is altogether more open and refined to me, hence my choice on the Technics. I believe a SH profile might be a fraction sweeter than my ML from the reviews.

Nagaoka tend to be mellow, but I think they’re very pricy now. It’s not just a handful of records that are mastered too hot that’s putting you off, is it? Is everything set spot on?
To be honest I can't remember what the blue sounded like now it was too long ago that I swapped it.

Maybe clinical was the wrong choice of words, but i would like a little more warmth from my TT sound. I think I'm leaning towards the Nagaoka or Sumiko range.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS