Remote control hell.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya I am currently running my Samsung TV through my Arcam Solo system (with an rdock) and also have skyHD and a PS3.

I am now sick of having 4 remote controls and want to get an all in 1.

The Logitech Harmony seems to come out best but which one to get? I have seen them ranging from £50-£150. Do you really get £100 of extras from the dearer one? And will it operate everything in my little set up?

All advice gratefully received.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Well I use the One controls all my devices and consigned 5 remotes to a drawer so I can recommend that.

Should control all your devices and even if not you can learn commands from the original remote..

You can check if it will work with you stuff here

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I got this a couple of weeks ago, from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-URC8305-Kameleon-Control/dp/B000KGG5DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265621627&sr=8-1

It's controlling my TV, SKY, DVD/AV AMP and CD player. It'll do your lights too, if you buy an additional module.

It's easy as hell to set up, has the macro feature that you get on the expensive harmony models (where, for example, one push of one button will turn on the TV, SKY box and AV amp in on go).

It's on offer for £17, down from £50.

A

Anonymous

logitec harmony 555. I think you can get them for around 50 notes. I love mine, its one of the best investments i have made! Its all back lit, which some of the other harmony models arent (my parents have an 895? i think it is and i much prefer the 555) and its a doddle to use once you have sussed it out.

Juzzie Wuzzie

In a one remote set-up:

Pro: there is one remote controlling everything. Therefore, less clutter, which appeals to my OCD nature.

Con: if the girlfriend has the one remote control, I'm not in control of anything. Solution? Have a "placebo" remote control for her to hold.

A

Anonymous

Hi Kev,

Just bought a Harmony One Advanced last week and in the words of my kids 'its awesome'! Similar problem to you, having the pain of juggling numerous remotes to do anything. the Logitech software used to programme the remote is very straight forward to use and intuitive. I really like the ability to re-configure and adapt the remote to your specific requirements, such as adding specific controls, learning commands from your old remotes or even simply re-naming devices and activities. Also the Activities function is very neat and allows you to perform functions such as 'Watch Tv' in one command and the remote will turn on and set all the devices as you wish!

I guess value for money is all relative and subjective to the person concerned, but in my opinion this was a faultless £100 purchase.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Well I have been waiting for the Harmony One to be on special offer for too long now so going on Ganders recommendation I have just ordered a Harmony 555 from Amazon for £39.80 delivered.

Ok its not got the docking station therefore not rechargable but hopefully batteries will last a while , and for that price ?

No brainer

A

Anonymous

I made the same decision 8 months ago and don't regret it. It has turned 5 remotes into 1, and it's still on its first set of batteries.

I actually like the fact that it doesn't have a docking station, because it doesn't take up yet another plug and, having removed 4 remotes from my lounge, it doesn't add a docking station.

It's also mighty handy to have the coloured buttons physically on the remote... rather than programmed in at the top.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I went the Philips Pronto route years ago, it's a shame that because mine is one of the early ones there aren't suitable ccf files for some of my kit, but recreating them will give me something to do when college is over.

A

Anonymous

just got a logitech 785 for 60 quid on ebay as new looks unused. best thing ive ever bought. one touch buttons turn on three devices and also turn unwanted of at same time. selects correct tv input and turns amp to correct selector. brilliant

A

Anonymous

Gwyndy:I went the Philips Pronto route years ago, it's a shame that because mine is one of the early ones there aren't suitable ccf files for some of my kit, but recreating them will give me something to do when college is over.

The Pronto.....lovely bit of kit, the only problem being that it is no where near as easy to setup as the Harmony in the real world. I've chatted to so many peeps that bought one and flogged it, simply because they didn't have the time, inclination or patience to learn how to program the thing !

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I recently upgraded my AV amp to the Onkyo 607. Initially I had also planned to buy a dedicated "all in one" remote as well, but the Onkyo supplied remote does a fantastic job.

All the different maker's names appear onscreen when you are configuring the remote and it just works, even lists the Samsung Sky+ HD codes.
It also has macros for "Watch TV", "My Music", etc, which is Wife Approved.

A

Anonymous

I've got a Harmony One myself.

It's great, but there are some issues, mostly due to more than one device in an activity using the same button. As there's a limited number of buttons, even if you edit the commands for each button on each device, you might end up with a few functions being dependent on using the original remote control for each device.

You might also need some time to figure out which functions and buttons to sacrifice for the convenience of using only one remote. Also the semi-automated set-ups tends to add devices you don't really need. In some cases it's better to set up an activity from scratch, instead of starting with a pre-set like 'Watch a movie' or 'Play music'.

If you don't want to cash out for a One, I guess the cheaper Harmonys has the same basic functionality, as they're all set up with the same software.

As Clare & Andy have mentioned, you can get a free Logitech Harmony 700 remote if you go to the Bristol Sound and Vision show next weekend & subscribe for the mag. It's a lot cheaper than the cost of the remote itself.

I don't think you really have to sacrifice functions using the Harmony One remote: you can have few pages of extra functions that you can programme on your Harmony.

TRENDING THREADS