Rega P3 Squeak and non starting issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I'll try some talc on the belt, nothing to lose.

Interesting to hear that the TecnoDec has no squeak, also I like the Michell look, never heard one play so I'll put that on my list of decks to audition.

Thanks for chipping in.
Just a PS. from me, as I was looking at dealers online with Michell decks. It looks like the RRP for a TecnoDec is now £1800, or £2000 with a basic arm. It was about £800 a decade ago when I got mine (and mine was ex-dem with a Rega arm and Grado cartridge).

But Vickers, amongst other have them still at £1100-£1200 which is what I thought was current. The modified TecnoArm is what I always fancied, but they’re around £800 on their own.

record_spot

I used to have a P3 years ago that exhibited the same issues on startup and I think the explanation you had then was similarly mentioned back then. By contrast, the Cambridge Alva ST I use these days runs silent, no creaky noises or squeaks on startup. And, at the price the P3 is these days, this is something Rega should've had done an dusted years ago.

I used to have a P3 years ago that exhibited the same issues on startup and I think the explanation you had then was similarly mentioned back then. By contrast, the Cambridge Alva ST I use these days runs silent, no creaky noises or squeaks on startup. And, at the price the P3 is these days, this is something Rega should've had done an dusted years ago.
Agree.
As I said my old Planar 3 never suffered these symptoms so if the newer ones do then where's progress?.....

Oxfordian

Agree.
As I said my old Planar 3 never suffered these symptoms so if the newer ones do then where's progress?.....
I am pleased to know that my P3 isn't faulty it just has a poor design issue.

Disappointment is the best word to describe my perception of Rega at this moment, if Rega had just designed their first ever turntable I might be able to forgive this but hell this is far from being Rega's first rodeo, the P3 has been around for years, yes I know that the motor was subject of a major revamp a few years back but if the old P3's didn't squeak on start up and the new ones do have Rega not got backwards instead of forward.

So whilst I now know how to stop the squeak and how to ensure that the 45rpm LP's get spinning my P3 will be departing at some point in the next few months.

What will replace it? Well that's a good question, Mrs Oxfordian has given me the go-ahead to splash some of our cash "just don't go mad" were her words, "would I" was my reply.

On my list at the moment are Origin Live as recommended by @Al ears, plus the very popular Project Classic, get the P3 worked on by Iceni Audio and a host of other very welcome suggestions. I will not rush into this, over the next few months I am going to spend a fair amount of time researching and auditioning TT's to find one that gives me what I want.

Thanks for everyone's input on this it has been much appreciated.

Last edited:

record_spot

If it's of any use, do consider the Cambridge Alva ST - yes, I know there's a 3 star review on here (bollocks, I should add) - but upgrade the cartridge, I'm currently running an AT-VM540ML and - given the capacitance issues with the otherwise excellent onboard phono stage and the Audio Technica - a Musical Fidelity X-LP external phono stage. You then have a turntable setup in the £1100 bracket that performs above expectation.

You can get the Alva ST with a hefty discount, plus an Ebay discount to bring the price down further. Buying direct from Cambridge means you can return in 30 days if it's not for you. Seriously worth shortlisting, thought I appreciate the Origin options out there too. Tough choice these days.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Update 9th August

Courier bought my squeaky TT back to me today, having put the P3 back into the system I can confirm that the squeak remains, with a nudge it does go away a bit quicker but it is definitely still there.

:(

A bit of a listen planned for this evening to make sure that everything is all okay, now do I choose from favourites or recent most played list.

:)

WayneKerr

Update 9th August

Courier bought my squeaky TT back to me today, having put the P3 back into the system I can confirm that the squeak remains, with a nudge it does go away a bit quicker but it is definitely still there.

:(

A bit of a listen planned for this evening to make sure that everything is all okay, now do I choose from favourites or recent most played list.

:)
Maybe something by pinky and perky :)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I remember when I bought my RP3 new in the 80’s, the instructions suggested giving the platter a helping hand. I had it ‘Inspired’ a few years ago, and it came back with the same advice. Just sayin’ 🙂

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS