Rega Upgrade advice - any P7 users on here?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on some upgrade options. I currently have a P3-24 with an Elys 2, which I love, but am now looking to get something that raises the bar a little. My first thoughts were to add the matching power supply and then a new cartridge, but I'm now considering waiting a little longer and part exchanging it in for something like a P7.

What I want to know is, has anyone had experience of these two models, and is the upgrade a worthwhile one over my initial plan to add the PSU and a more expensive cartridge? It seems to be very difficult to find a dealer that stocks more expensive turntables, so a demo may involve a fair amount of travel, and some idea of performance would be good before I arrange this.

Also, how good a cartridge can the P3-24 handle before the limitations of the rest of the deck negate any benefits?

I listen to a wide range of Classical music and the rest of my system will very shortly be a Yamaha CDS2000/AS2000 Cd player and Amp with ATC SCM11 speakers

Many thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Hi - I own both of these decks - one upstairs, one downstairs! I'll do you a full write-up later this evening, including views on cartridges and PSUs - but right now I have to go out for Sunday lunch! Regards

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much - that would be very helpful. Enjoy your lunch!

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I also have the Rega P7, I think its a fabulous deck many consider it better than the Linn Sondek.

I have mine with the Rega Exact cartridge in the RB700 arm which is a joy to use, I have not heard the other deck so cannot comment on the difference between the two ChrisMM will have a better comparison............

A

Anonymous

Back again - it was a long lunch.

I had a couple of expensive t/ts downstairs over the last 10 years including an LP12/ Akito. Bought the P3-24 for upstairs room and later added the TTPSU which made a very big improvement. Changed cartridge to the Dynavector DV10x5 which is £250 and a veritable bargain, as it sounds to me like a very good moving coil but is also high output, so can be used direct into the MM stage of a typical integrated (I use the Rotel RA02 - now RA-05) which was the only one I found with a good phono stage and a headphone socket! Sound of that system, after the P3-24 was set up by the dealer with the multiple arm adjuster plastic gizmo, was so good (you know when a t/t is sounding just right) that I took it downstairs and compared it to the expensive one I was using. Though obviously a bit constrained image-wise in comparison, it had a lot more flow to the music.

Result was that I sold the other t/t and auditioned the P7 with a more expensive Dynavector, the 17D3 - which my dealer had at his house. He told me I could order it with the more expensive (RB1000) cable on the RB700, so this is what I did. Rega added the extra metal spacer at the factory along with the Klotz cable, and the result sounds and looks splendid - I would say on a par with the original P9, and better than your average LP12 which has probably been cobbled together and not set up properly.

Final chapter in this tale is that at the Bristol show 2010 rega had a t/t clinic, and I bought a couple of the white belts they've recently produced. These certainly make a huge difference too, timing and grip are even better than before etc, so I would recommend you get one of these as well as the cartridge and TTPSU I mentioned for the P3-24. As far as the P7 is concerned, you may want to wait until you try this combo - if you buy a P7 you'll be looking to upgrade other parts of your system!

Not familiar with the Yamaha amps, but it might be worth trying other phono stages. The Rega Ear is excellent and not expensive.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I'm very intrigued by the white belt! So much so that I've just ordered one to see if it makes a difference to the sound. If it doesn't, then at least I've got a spare for when mine wears out.

On reflection, I think that I may follow your suggestion and try the PSU and a new cartridge first. If that fits the bill, then I can use the money I'll save to buy a hell of a lot of records! Having just upgraded the rest of my system (for the 'final' time) I think that this is the most sensible option.

I also struggled to find a decent amp that had both a phono input and a headphone socket, but the Yamaha ticked both boxes and should be an improvement on my rather tired 8000A.

Many thanks for your comments

TRENDING THREADS