My new Sansui AU101 project

AJM1981

A little success in a search for a Sansui AU-101 for a reasonable price paid out well. I already had servicing in mind with it. And last week I became a proud owner of a AU-101. I think it looks 'almost' like a set with my Denton 85th anniversary edition loudspeakers.

A short pro's and cons
+optically well designed
+ receives positive reviews for its destinctive tube-like signature sound
+ Basic functionality, no loads of switches and more direct pathways
- not many connection possibilities as with most old amps
- the headphone and microphone ports could have been less emphasised by rings and more hidden in the surface.
- wish I could erase the microphone port ;)

Disclaimer: the pictures below are from another source online.

IMG_20210730_235425-01.thumb.jpeg.342a3c00234c7b7b7d15b3778318916e.jpeg.57edd1f105733a724bfe5e952d69b09e.jpeg

sansui_au_101__solid_state_ste_1644852035_7bb0f4a0_progressive.jpg

So far my checklist
-replaced an ancient white power plug with a good looking modern black one.
- completed external cleanup and fine surface cleaning. Optically it almost looks as new again. The interior looks like it has never seen dust at all.
- having it serviced (low hum and some issues with the sound, headphone connector block needs a bit of attachment, tape monitor switch is broken off, but in right position. Will see if I can have it replaced)

further plans
- I would like to add binding posts to be able to attach banana plugs (it just has plain screws; as prehistoric as it can be) and find matching ones will be on the list. Fun fact. I can stick bananaplugs in the screw openings, but lets do it well.
-planning to sand the wooden side panels a bit and add new verneer.
-Give the cover a fresh layer of black spray paint
- replacing the black plastic switches with brass ones maybe. Though I might stick with its original plastic ones.
- The original dials are a bit off compared to the rest of the amp. I think about replacing the front knobs for these below. Giving it more of a uniform look and a optical upgrade. It fits with the lettering and the side strips.

mkcpt.png

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
Personally, I think the silver knobs against the black fascia was one of the most distinctive things about that series, so I’d keep them the same.

Nothing wrong with screw terminals, but you could easily fit a set of banana sockets to short cable adapters if that makes things easier. They were quite popular, though very modest power output by today’s standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears and AJM1981

AJM1981

Personally, I think the silver knobs against the black fascia was one of the most distinctive things about that series, so I’d keep them the same.

Nothing wrong with screw terminals, but you could easily fit a set of banana sockets to short cable adapters if that makes things easier. They were quite popular, though very modest power output by today’s standards.
Though gold / brass-color on black is a solid match, I might have some second thoughts over the knobs. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts