Question Marantz tt-15s1 vs Rega Planar 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
Just to put things into perspective the Marantz is equipped with a Satisfy tonearm and a Marantz badged Virtuoso V2. In the UK the tonearm retails at £1370 and the cartridge £900, making the turntable a veritable bargain.

I've had mine for years and the motor and belt issues are non-existent for me. The anti-skate/bias is very clever but it doesn't come with a cover and is a dust magnet. It's not plug and play, some assembly is required.
this is mind blowing to me. how is it possible for the turntable to be that much cheaper than the sum of only two of its parts.

thanks for sharing. I have mainly read about Rega these days and how amazing they are but I don't want to fall into confirmation bias, so having your perspective is quite useful.

isn't the dust problem easily fixed with a generic dustcover over the entire thing?

WayneKerr

this is mind blowing to me. how is it possible for the turntable to be that much cheaper than the sum of only two of its parts.

thanks for sharing. I have mainly read about Rega these days and how amazing they are but I don't want to fall into confirmation bias, so having your perspective is quite useful.

isn't the dust problem easily fixed with a generic dustcover over the entire thing?
I have absolutely no idea how this can be :unsure: Yep, I solved the dust issue with a generic cover, the Marantz cover is very expensive.

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea how this can be :unsure: Yep, I solved the dust issue with a generic cover.
I answered my own question after posting. we don't take into account that UK is outside the EU and it is normal for things to be cheaper here than they are for you. unfortunately, I can't find the local price for the cartridge and tonearm to confirm that is the case

Reactions: WayneKerr
true, I can and at a considerably lower price than both the Marantz tt-15s1 and the Planar 8.
I'll look into it, thanks.
I wouldn't get too hung up on tonearm. Having demoed Clearaudio Concept MM it's a superb turntable.

My current turntable is a Pro-ject Classic. I purchased because of its retro aesthetics. My cartridge is... Clearaudio Concept. I've mainly used Clearaudio carts since 2005.

Just to put things into perspective the Marantz is equipped with a Satisfy tonearm and a Marantz badged Virtuoso V2. In the UK the tonearm retails at £1370 and the cartridge £900, making the turntable a veritable bargain.

I've had mine for years and the motor and belt issues are non-existent for me. The anti-skate/bias is very clever but it doesn't come with a cover and is a dust magnet. It's not plug and play, some assembly is required.
The original Emotion had a Satisfy tonearm, fitted with Classic Wood Aurum cartridge, which was top notch in its day. Other than possibly a slightly better cartridge not really sure the advantages the Marantz has over the original Emotion.

Just saying....

WayneKerr

The original Emotion had a Satisfy tonearm, fitted with Classic Wood Aurum cartridge, which was top notch in its day. Other than possibly a slightly better cartridge not really sure the advantages the Marantz has over the original Emotion.

Just saying....
As the Marantz is heavily based on the Emotion I'm not surprised. But you can still buy the Marantz, you can't buy the original Emotion, only the SE version. Many of the Marantz revisions were carried over to the SE making it a superior turntable to it's predecessor.

VES

Sep 15, 2023
Visit site
interesting...
in regards to the P6 as an upgrade for the P3, I can see why your dealer would say that, same tonearm, same plinth, I thing even the motor is virtually the same and much of the difference in performance comes from the PSU.
but I am surprised to hear that the P8 doesn't perform hugely differently than the P3. is that your personal opinion after hearing and comparing the two, or are you conveying what your dealer told you?
not the sam plinth. my bad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts