Rear/surround speakers - what direction should the drivers be pointing for person in the sweetspot

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
If you have a 5.1 set up with direct radiating speakers, should the rear speakers (at 110 degrees) be pointed straight ahead, directly at the sweet spot, at ninety degrees to the rear wall (i.e. pointing straight at each other across the width of the room), or some other direction.

If you go 7.1 I have the same query for surrounds and back speakers.

Checking several sites only seemed to give the angle the speaker placement should be at relative to the sweetspot and not what direction the drivers should be facing. Where there are diagrams, some have the speakers pointing towards the front of the room, others at the sweetspot and others across the room at eachother.

Thanks for any help.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing with lhc here (I wouldn't dare - I love USB as a digital connection to a DAC by the way
emotion-1.gif
), but I've always preferred a speaker set up where the speakers are firing into the room (above head height), not directly at the listening position.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

I'm not disagreeing with lhc here (I wouldn't dare - I love USB as a digital connection to a DAC by the way
emotion-1.gif
), but I've always preferred a speaker set up where the speakers are firing into the room (above head height), not directly at the listening position.

Yes but people like me that have the sofa against a back wall, sometimes its best to have the speaker directly to this side?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:I'm not disagreeing with lhc here (I wouldn't dare - I love USB as a digital connection to a DAC by the way
emotion-1.gif
),

Errr, not sure I've ever expressed a preference on that one way or the other to be honest!

I certainly don't like USB as a way of charging my phone, seems the USB port of Nokia N86's isn't as robust as it should be, I'm having real trouble charging the phone at the moment, turns out it's a known issue with the way it's fixed to the motherboard. Mokia know about it but seem to be avoiding doing anything about it by blaming water damage each time! Very annoyed, it's not like it's even that great a phone, wish I'd never got the damn thing now...

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:

FrankHarveyHiFi:I'm not disagreeing with lhc here (I wouldn't dare - I love USB as a digital connection to a DAC by the way
emotion-1.gif
),

Errr, not sure I've ever expressed a preference on that one way or the other to be honest!

I certainly don't like USB as a way of charging my phone, seems the USB port of Nokia N86's isn't as robust as it should be, I'm having real trouble charging the phone at the moment, turns out it's a known issue with the way it's fixed to the motherboard. Mokia know about it but seem to be avoiding doing anything about it by blaming water damage each time! Very annoyed, it's not like it's even that great a phone, wish I'd never got the damn thing now...

Uhmm What ?
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Thats interesting, two experienced posters with opposite opinions. Maybe it's just a question of preference, I just thought that there would be a generally accepted way of positioning the speakers.

A

Anonymous

I am getting p£$%sed off at trying to upgrade my system without it costing me 10,000

But aint going to happen.

Its all to do with room layout, it sucks, I really wish I would have tore down that chiney breast when renovating... Oh well

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
socrates:Thats interesting, two experienced posters with opposite opinions. Maybe it's just a question of preference, I just thought that there would be a generally accepted way of positioning the speakers.

It wouldn't be the first time!

I just feel that the soundstage sits higher, and effects that are supposed to be above your head (like planes flying over etc) sound more like they'e above the listening position. In some rooms, particularly smaller rooms, pointing the at the listener might be beneficial to cut down on reflections from nearby side walls. There's no cut and dry answer as I think it's all room dependent, and personal preference.

A

Anonymous

I think I am a good singer in the bath due to the acoustics.

But when I am at karoake, this does not seem to be the case.

A

Anonymous

I have the same set up where my sofa is against my the back wall.

I started off with my rear speakers at 90' to the listening position, I then moved them a bit further back. We're talking 95' at most.

I still found the rears were a little overpowering, so I have them turned away from the sweet spot and they are probably directly pointed just in front of the listening position now.

I found the sound is still not perfect as the speakers on their stands are actually lower than ear height.

Really need to get them on the wall up above but I've not found any decent mounts for my 686's. (Any suggestions would be greatful)

Something I noticed last night is that it sometimes feels like I am sat behind a wall of sound from the rear speakers. Thinking it might be better to have them turned so the sweat spot is behind the listening position instead.

A

Anonymous

I agree the soundstage should be high. b/4 I got my Bi pole's I had direct firing speakers in the corners at ceiling height that were toed in slightly. they sounded good, but since changing to the bi poles (2 feet above head height), the sound stage has vastly improved to my ears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts