Put all my Movies on NAS drive

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
What the_lhc is alluding to is that - due to copyright protection software on DVDs - it's illegal to copy your movies, even if you're making back-ups of titles you've already bought.

This stance is, however, under review... (in the US, amendments passed last year to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act made it legal to make copies of DVDs and Blu-rays you already own. The UK government is apparantly considering similar 'personal use' legislation, but no news on if/when that might come in)

A

Anonymous

There have been quite a few similar threads on here very recently, you might be better searching the forum for a duplicate thread to find the answers you are after, along with warnings that it is illegal to do what you want (in the UK)...

scene

Firstly, the ripping of copy-protected DVDs to a NAS is strictly speaking illegal. But, in theory it is perfectly possible. If you are looking for a PC-based solution, then hypothetically speaking, probably the easiest and most convenient would be to use a copy of AnyDVD HD from SlySoft, to prevent any encryption issues. PC CloneDrive, if you ripped to .iso, to allow the resulting rips to be viewed. MyMovies, from MyMovies.dk to integrate the ripped files into Windows Media Centre. AnyDVD and MyMovies have costs associated with them. All of the above is hypothetical, as the ripping of copy protected DVDs is illegal in the UK.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Been doing this for years using some of the tools already mentioned in this thread. It's not hypothetical it is entirely possible. Whether you want to do it is up to you. Don't think the courts are getting troubled by the number of people ripping their own DVDs for their own use. This forum always seems to get a bit more guarded on this topic even though ripping music isn't exactly legal either.

A

Anonymous

Ripping music is legal as long as it is for personal use and you have an original hard copy

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We have on-the-record statements from the legal team at the IFPI saying it's OK to make a copy of music you've legally bought for your own personal use - which includes ripping them. They're only interested in prosecuting people whom share music illegally.

DVDs/Blu-rays is a different matter as they include copyright protection software - 'cracking' such software is a crime in itself...

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome: We have on-the-record statements from the legal team at the IFPI saying it's OK to make a copy of music you've legally bought for your own personal use - which includes ripping them. They're only interested in prosecuting people whom share music illegally

Is that the same as saying it is legal though? Admittedly I haven't checked any recent purchases but historically the copyright disclaimers on music made it pretty clear that making any kind of copy was considered a breach

A

Anonymous

daveh75:dougolada:Ripping music is legal as long as it is for personal use and you have an original hard copyNot in the UK it isn't!

I stand corrected... I had always been under the impression that it was legal, but right enough, a quick search on the net and I find:
"Can I copy a CD that I have purchased onto my MP3 Player?
No, this is not legal under UK law. There is no exception to copyright for the purpose of private copying. Permission would be needed from the copyright owner.

There are number of legal download websites available to the public that allow you to download music onto your MP3 player."

This is quoted from the intellectual property office website, so it is a reliable source.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
yes, that's technically correct, but as with many laws that have become outdated with common practice, the IFPI are on record saying they would not pursue a proscution of ripping legally bought CDs for personal use. It's distribution (in any form - online or via disc) that they are focussing on.

And they represent the companies that would be bringing the prosecution, so they know what they're saying, and i'm 100% happy passing on that advice!

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
yes, that's technically correct, but as with many laws that have become outdated with common practice, the IFPI are on record saying they would not pursue a proscution of ripping legally bought CDs for personal use. It's distribution (in any form - online or via disc) that they are focussing on.

And they represent the companies that would be bringing the prosecution, so they know what they're saying, and i'm 100% happy passing on that advice!

And I'm 100% happy in continuing to rip my CD collection to my NAS (doing this as we speak) as I will and have only ever done it for personal use.

A

Anonymous

Do you mean to say my handy iPod, used for carrying my collection around with me, is istill n fact being used illegally? And so to with Windows Media Player, designed to playback my cd collection etc etc?

I though things had changed with movies too, which is why I've been ripping my massive collection via DVDFab, an excellent all-in-one piece of software which gives perfect playback via XBMC.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
kaotician: I though things had changed with movies too, which is why I've been ripping my massive collection via DVDFab, an excellent all-in-one piece of software which gives perfect playback via XBMC.

No the position hasn't changed for movies in the UK. There are two issues with DVDs/blurays. One is the fact you are duplicating copyrighted material and your licence prohibits you from doing this, secondly in order to do the duplication you are circumnavigating copy protection which is illegal.

A

Anonymous

Just use something like Winx DVD Ripper Platinum to copy all ur dvds to ur NAS like everyone else does.

Ignore everyone saying its illegal - not like the police are likely to come raiding ur house for a few dvds (which u have bought anyway) and backed them up onto ur network for ur own use is it ?

People have been doing it for years - and everyones knows people have been doing it for years. The movie companies are quick enough to take your £15 off you when u buy a dvd/bd - yet then still want to tell what u can/cant do with something even when you've bought it.

I

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The point being that while you may own the physical container - the disc - you haven't actually bought the content - the film. That remains the property of the copyright holder.

It's very simple: either we make the point that what you are doing is illegal every time threads like this crop up, or we don't allow such threads to be run. The former seems the sensible approach, even though we don't in any way condone such copying of copyright material.

A

Anonymous

you are putting foward the pathetic point of view of the film companies - that I've paid £15 for a disc - not the content. If I wanted to do that I'd just buy a blank dvd for about 10p.

The film companies entire argument is just ridiculous. You are paying for the CONTENT. You have these companies that make a fortune - and yet still want to rip off their customers - their very lifeblood!

Copying these films is of course very naughty - and thats why no-one does it
emotion-2.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TechMad:The film companies entire argument is just ridiculous.

It's not an argument, it's a legal contract, one you agree to everytime you hand your money over.

You are paying for the CONTENT.

You're paying for the right to watch it, nothing more.

If you don't understand that WHF, as a part of Haymarket, a large public company, HAVE to make this point every time its discussed, then there really is no hope for you.

A

Anonymous

if you were paying for ownership of the content, that would give you the right to copy, distribute and sell that content as you wish. this is exactly why you are not buying the content itself, but a licence to view the content. as with any licence, there are restrictions placed upon it which you are legally bound by. if you want to copy a dvd for your own personal use then you are very unlikely to be prosecuted, but that doesnt make it legal. if you can get permission from the film company who do own the content, saying that it is ok to make copies of the dvd, then that is fine. without their permission, it is illegal and any responsible person, or magazine, will make you aware of that.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
TechMad:you are putting foward the pathetic point of view of the film companies
No, I am putting forward the facts of the matter, as they stand. I am not making any judgment one way or another about the propriety or iniquity of the situation.

TechMad:that I've paid £15 for a disc - notthe content. If I wanted to do that I'd just buy a blank dvd for about 10p.

You might as well do that, for all the rights it gives you over what you can and can't do with the content of the disc.

TechMad:You are paying for
the CONTENT.

No, you are paying for the right to view the content, not the ownership of it or the right to do with it what you will.

TechMad:You have these companies that make a fortune - and yet
still want to rip off their customers - their very lifeblood!

No-one is forcing you to buy their product.

TechMad:Copying these films is of course very naughty

No, it's illegal.

TechMad:and thats why no-one does it
emotion-2.gif

Does the fact that people break a law mean that law no longer exists?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Clare,

When you say its distribution the IFPI are focusing on - does that mean they aint to bothered about Joe bloggs who downloads a couple of hundred albums for easily accessible torrent listing sites?

I was in a game shop a few months ago and noticed they had signs up for buying cds... I asked the guy behind the counter what the deal was and he says.. 'well everyone is ripping their cds these days and just boxing up the cds so they buy back the cds and sell them on again' i did mention that the record companies might frown upon that suggestion.. but he didnt seem to think it was an issue!.. for the record i have a big box of cds in the attic that i dont use.. as i have ripped all my cds for playback on the ps3.. and portable devices..

Mick

Clare Newsome:

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
micks_address: When you say its distribution the IFPI are focusing on - does that mean they aint to bothered about Joe bloggs who downloads a couple of hundred albums for easily accessible torrent listing sites?]

That is distribution. What Clare is saying is that the IFPI wouldn't pursue a prosecution against someone ripping their own legally purchased CDs for their own personal use. If that person then sells their CDs then really they should delete the rips. Note: saying you wouldn't pursue a prosecution is not the same thing as saying something is legal

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that the efforts are more focused on those sites providing 'easily accessible torrents', rather than those downloading from them illegally using torrent clients, but do bear in mind that most torrent clients both download content and make it available to others at the same time.

It's also worth pointing out that as it stands a blind eye may be turned to those who have digital copies of albums they've bought (for example on an MP3 player or iPod), provided they still own the physical media, or have bought the content legally through a download site.

When you no longer own the CD, you have no right to keep the content, and you are supporting piracy just as much as you do when you download from one of those illegal torrent sites.

A

Anonymous

I have never seen or heard of anyone being charged with backing up their own media.

I am sure they have better things to do, like go after the people that put them on the torrent sites.

In fact, I have never really heard of people getting charged for downloading, and if there is, its very very few.

Its mainly the people who upload the stuff they want to stop... Cut the head off the dragon and all that.

Millions and millions of people download music and movies everyday, its impossible to go after the small home user.

But if you are downloading thousands of movies to sell on market stalls , then yes you will be found out by trading standards and others.

In fact, I work for trading standards... Any of you selling these rips?
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts