simontompkins

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

Does a NAS upscale as well as a TV?

Some of my video files are relatively low quality but my TV upscales my USB connected hard drive beautifully. However, the new solution needs to be have storage and backup as I'm ditching my current backup solution on BD Rs. If M Discs were cheaper I'd use them but I have so much data the cost would be exorbitant.

I'm looking for get two 16 TB NAS drives in a DAS or NAS. The DAS makes sense as its cheaper and I can connect by USB and let the TV do the upscaling but for not a lot more I could get a NAS.

Has anyone had any experience of the difference in quality between TV upscaling and NAS upscaling? Are there any NAS apps that present data to a TV so the TV upscales or do NASs only stream?

Thank you for any input.

simontompkins

Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
Zappiti NAS RIP 4K HDR with 4K Ultra HD upscaling and uncompressed video output.
Seems to me to be a NAS and media server that upscales so I presume some NAS software can upscale via software.

Shield TV upscales

If a NAS has media software it could upscale. Maybe they don't.

michael hoy

Zappiti NAS RIP 4K HDR with 4K Ultra HD upscaling and uncompressed video output.
Seems to me to be a NAS and media server that upscales so I presume some NAS software can upscale via software.

Shield TV upscales

If a NAS has media software it could upscale. Maybe they don't.
The Zappiti 4K HDR media players incorporate Zappiti MagicPixel v2.5 technology,
It is the media play that they say upscales. A NAS in it's self does not upscale.

abacus

All NAS for consumer use come with apps to play your music/videos etc. and you can choose whether you want the NAS to upscale (Use a NAS that can do hardware upscaling for best results) or the TV.
Choose whichever works best for you.

Bill

Reactions: Symples

nads

All NAS for consumer use come with apps to play your music/videos etc. and you can choose whether you want the NAS to upscale (Use a NAS that can do hardware upscaling for best results) or the TV.
Choose whichever works best for you.

Bill
A bit of a far fetching comment. Mine did not and do not.

abacus

A bit of a far fetching comment. Mine did not and do not.
Never come across a consumer NAS that didn't have an app to do it (Many also have hardware decoding (Also used for scaling) onboard in years.
Yours must be very old or a dedicated business NAS.
The most popular are Synology & Qnap with less popular brands also having the capabilities.

Bill

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I have a QNAP TS-453A NAS (with 4x3TB drives) that includes a full media suite. It has a direct HDMI output for the TV and apps for playing all types of media files. I use Kodi (addon) as my media front-end (available for free from the Qnapclub Store (https://www.qnapclub.eu/) Both the in-built media console/media streaming apps and Kodi support upscaling.

Reactions: simontompkins

TRENDING THREADS