Power issues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Often I've heard that it is better to plug the power cord for hifi equipment directly into the wall socket (i.e. and not into an extension cord / power block thingy which has 4 or 6 connections etc).

So I've taken that advise and plugged my integrated amp direct into the wall. And since I have only power connections on the wall of my listening room, the rest of the stuff (CDP, SBT, Mdac and computer/monitor) are all plugged into an extenstion cord/ power block.

My question is, if I were to get an electrician to install say three or four more power sockets on the wall, and if I use these and plug say the CDP, SBT direct into the wall sockets, will it improve SQ? Or should I not bother?

A

Anonymous

Personally I wouldn't bother

I noticed a massive difference in sound with my system when I plugged the amp into the wall instead of a Tacima mains conditioner; like someone had lifted a blanket off the speakers

However I have tried my system plugged into a small/short extension block and into the wall socket as well and no difference was noticed

Unless you get a lot of mains noise then I'd say just use good short extension blocks but not conditioners...

In saying that we have the virgin digi box and tv/surround sound all in one system plugged into the mains conditioner and the tv has improved picture wise etc..

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
If the wiring for the additional wall socket is pulled from the first wall socket, I dont think you will benefit much. But if they are pulled with a dedicated wiring from the main fuseboard, you may benefit.

A

Anonymous

El Hefe said:
If the wiring for the additional wall socket is pulled from the first wall socket, I dont think you will benefit much. But if they are pulled with a dedicated wiring from the main fuseboard, you may benefit.

I think it is possible only to pull power from the first wall socket. Dedicated wiring will have to wait. So just get better extension cord sets?

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
If possible a radial circuit I would suggest a 6mm 32amp circuit comming from consumer unit supplying 2 or 3 double sockets when funds allow I am going to install another trip board and run the above circuit as I know mains bourne noise is affecting my system :cheers:

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>if I were to get an electrician to install say three or four more power sockets on the wall<

If you are at all handy (*), you can make up a Naim 'hydra' style power-lead set using a 4-way mains plug and some Wattgate stylee IEC connectors off t'bay.

(*) Lecky can kill!

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I actually went ahead and added three more wall sockets and then plugged in the power amp, pre amp, cdp and the (Rel) sub into these. It sounds a lot better!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts