Question Philips 660 - How to connect?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

If you are still around Rexanthony:
This lead is correctly wired for your purpose (would need twin RCA into its sockets):
This one is cheaper, if you've got a soldering iron for the following quick mod:
Open the DIN plug swap wires....pin 3 to the unused pin 1 and pin 5 to the unused pin 4:
With either lead, connect the RCA to the line or 'aux' input of your 'modern' amplifier.
(You'll probably find it quieter than other sources, so it will need a higher amp volume control setting).

Reactions: Al ears

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
DIN is a far better standard than phono, that is why Naim uses it. It offers the main advantage of a "clean Earth", however I doubt this unit will benefit from such things.

Gray

DIN is a far better standard than phono, that is why Naim uses it.
What about the issue of crosstalk between channels when comparing DIN to RCA?
True enough, channels come close together in selector switches etc., but they're routinely adjacent in DIN, whereas not at all in RCA connectors.
I assume Naim have researched the issue 🤔, but I'd hazard a guess that what they (potentially) gain with the clean earth?*, they (potentially) lose on crosstalk. I'd say any audibility of either would be debatable and as you say, in this case, irrelevant 👍.

Last edited:

Gray

Hi, I have the same record player and am trying to find a solution to this issue. So far I have tried using a din to rca via the tape port at the back to no luck. This is the cable I am using http://amazon.co.uk/Pro-Signal-PSG0...?pd_rd_w=EUOGa&content-id=amzn1.sym.9dc19bbe- I am trying to connect the turntable to a Pioneer AV reciever. Would appreciate any help with this, thanks.
Well you can be sure that your cable will take an output from a tape socket.

The service manual for that 660 shows that there is an output (as well as an input) on its tape socket.

I assume that you know which pair of RCA plugs you need to use - and that you are connecting them to an auxiliary line input on your AV receiver.
Am I right about that?

Last edited:

Phillips660user

Jul 24, 2024
Visit site
Well you can be sure that your cable will take an output from a tape socket.

The service manual for that 660 shows, as you would expect, that there is an output (as well as an input) on its tape socket.

I assume that you know which pair of RCA plugs you need to use - and that you are connecting them to an auxiliary line input on your AV receiver.
Am I right about that?
Thanks for your response,
I haven't been able to find specific information on which rca plugs are which for my cable, so I've just tried out every combination, none of which have worked so far. I've tried plugging them into each of the 3 rca audio inputs on the reciever in the picture attatched.

Attachments

• 20240724_214751.jpg
    20240724_214751.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thanks for your response,
I haven't been able to find specific information on which rca plugs are which for my cable, so I've just tried out every combination, none of which have worked so far. I've tried plugging them into each of the 3 rca audio inputs on the reciever in the picture attatched.
Convention says that the colour coding for your cable is:
Black left, red right into the 5-pin plug / socket.
White left, yellow right out of the 5-pin / socket.

However, I've previously had a jack to RCA cable, from that specific brand, that had black and red reversed 🤨 - so nothing can be taken for granted.

Regardless of that, you've tried every combination of the 4 plugs, so something should have worked for you.....BUT that's based on all of the following assumptions:
* The service manual for the Philips model is correct. (I don't think the original poster ever confirmed that).
* You own the identical model.
* Your AV amp is working normally (because any of the inputs in your photo do suit your requirement).

You can (must) confirm the last point by putting the output of a source you know to be working, into one of those Pioneer inputs.

You can at least conclusively confirm your necessary RCA plug pair, by doing "the buzz test" on your Philips:
Plug into the tape socket, select the tape input and turn the Philips volume control around a quarter up. Touch your fingers onto (only) the pins of each plugs.
2 of them should give you the buzz on left & right speaker - proving that they're going into the 5-pin DIN plug / socket.
They're the pair NOT to use.
The other pair are the ones you should be connecting to the AV amp.

If you get no sound - try them into a known working amp......still nothing then you know there is nothing coming out of the Philips DIN.

Fault finding is all about a process of elimination.

Good luck (y)

Did we ever get to confirm the sockets on the Phillips were actually outputs and not inputs??
At #26 it looks like Gray did. Certainly from my experience of ‘music centres’ like this, a tape socket would normally use the conventional 5 pin DIN to carry stereo in, stereo out and earth/ground. And in that era, adding an external cassette deck would have been ‘a thing’ to enable copying of LPs or replay of music cassettes.

Gray

Did we ever get to confirm the sockets on the Phillips were actually outputs and not inputs??
A link to the service manual for the model was posted on this thread.
It showed that the tape socket was wired as an input AND an output, as was often the way on 5-pin DIN tape sockets.
Had it been for tape inputs only, pins 1 & 4 of the 5 pins would have been shown without connection.

If the manual's correct, there's an output.
However, I don't think the original poster ever returned to confirm that.

This new poster will be able to answer the question though.
It's probably DIN standard*, meaning that any output will be at a different level - but still perfectly useable for him.

*Unlike DIN sockets on the likes of Naim, which are just parallel wired to RCA, so inputs are at the same level.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano
It showed that the tape socket was wired as an input AND an output, as was often the way on 5-pin DIN tape sockets.
Had it been for tape inputs only, pins 1 & 4 of the 5 pins would have been shown without connection.

It's probably DIN standard*, meaning that any output will be at a different level - but still perfectly useable for him.

*Unlike DIN sockets on the likes of Naim, which are just parallel wired to RCA, so inputs are at the same level.
I see, tape as in and out makes sense, the tuner connection didn't so assume this was an input only.
Getting the DIN to phono cable wired correctly then is crucial and you are right the output may not be what we normally accept as line-level but it should be a level that can be usefully amplified.

Phillips660user

Jul 24, 2024
Visit site

I bought it second hand so I don't have a manual or anything. The guy I bought it from told me that he used a din to rca to connect it so I assume it must be possible.

Phillips660user

Jul 24, 2024
Visit site
You don't need a manual.
I've seen the service manual and (if correct) it shows that the Philips will play to an external amp via its tape socket 👍
I have tried some different things since my last post. I still have not been able to connect the player through my reciever. I have been able to get it playing directly through a 5.1 speaker set that connect through the subwoofer. The signal wasn't ideal but it was clearly playing through them. This only works when I set the player to the button saying "PU." I haven't been able to properly troubleshoot the rca inputs on my reciever, but it seems reasonable to assume at least one of them should work. I wonder if there is some setting on the reciever which might stop it from playing the record. I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

Gray

I haven't been able to properly troubleshoot the rca inputs on my reciever, but it seems reasonable to assume at least one of them should work.
It might seem reasonable to assume that.
However, line inputs (generally) differ only by their labelling.
Let's say you've got 3 line inputs:
All you've actually got are 3 pairs of RCA sockets routed by switches or relays to the same place - the first stage of the amplifier in the receiver.

In other words, it's quite likely that if one line input is not working, then none are.

You must confirm a working source to be playing ok through your receiver - before questioning what the Philips may or may not be doing.
A 'tape monitor' button will override all other inputs when pressed, but they're no longer common, so I doubt there's one on your receiver.

('PU' on the Philips by the way, is pickup, so that's why you need that selected to hear vinyl).

Last edited:

Phillips660user

Jul 24, 2024
Visit site
It might seem reasonable to assume that.
However, line inputs (generally) differ only by their labelling.
Let's say you've got 3 line inputs:
All you've actually got are 3 pairs of RCA sockets routed by switches or relays to the same place - the first stage of the amplifier in the receiver.

In other words, it's quite likely that if one line input is not working, then none are.

You must confirm a working source to be playing ok through your receiver - before questioning what the Philips may or may not be doing.
A 'tape monitor' button will override all other inputs when pressed, but they're no longer common, so I doubt there's one on your receiver.

('PU' on the Philips by the way, is pickup, so that's why you need that selected to hear vinyl).
Thanks for your response. Is there any obvious setting that might prevent my reciever from outputting the signal? I'm new to av recievers and I don't understand all the settings. My reciever is a pioneer vsx

Phillips660user

Jul 24, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Is there any obvious setting that might prevent my reciever from outputting the signal? I'm new to av recievers and I don't understand all the settings. My reciever is a pioneer vsx
Update: I have managed to now get the signal playing through my reciever. I changed around some settings and I'm not sure what exactly might have made it work but it is playing now

TRENDING THREADS