Rooms Size vs Stand Mounts vs Floor Standers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The absence or presence of stands does not directly affect the sound, the location of the speakers relative to each other is important (affects the stereo base), the distance to the listener and the width of the speaker radiation (high-frequency and mid-frequency spectrum)
Generally, speakers are optimised to work at their best with the tweeter about ear height, regardless of floorstanders or standmounts. Of course there are a few exceptions.

podknocker

Generally, speakers are optimised to work at their best with the tweeter about ear height, regardless of floorstanders or standmounts. Of course there are a few exceptions.
I listened to a pair of Spendor A2 floorstanders in my local HIFI shop ages ago and they are so tiny. To have their tweeters at ear height, you'd need to sit on the floor. They cost a fortune and I'm not joking, they need stands!

I listened to a pair of Spendor A2 floorstanders in my local HIFI shop ages ago and they are so tiny. To have their tweeters at ear height, you'd need to sit on the floor. They cost a fortune and I'm not joking, they need stands!
Yes, they’re quite unusual in their stature, but designed to work in smaller rooms according to Philip Swift, Spendor’s MD.

Even tinier, but designed to project upwards, I’ve always thought the Neat Iota Alpha was great fun.

Reactions: WayneKerr
As I said there are a few exceptions where they are designed to work higher or lower. And some are designed to work in the retail business, such as restaurants, pubs and other outlets. Alan Shaw, owner of Harbeth, points this out in one of his videos.

podknocker

The new QA5040 get good reviews. I'm going to try and listen to a pair and see if they have that top end sparkle I'm missing with the QA3030i. The footprint seems to be about the same.

There's lots of Spendor, ProAc, Harbeth and ATC mentioned in these speaker discussions, but no mention of QA.

Are people dismissive of this brand, because they don't have that really high price tag?

I don't think QA have made a bad speaker, since the brand appeared ages ago.

WayneKerr

The new QA5040 get good reviews. I'm going to try and listen to a pair and see if they have that top end sparkle I'm missing with the QA3030i. The footprint seems to be about the same.

There's lots of Spendor, ProAc, Harbeth and ATC mentioned in these speaker discussions, but no mention of QA.

Are people dismissive of this brand, because they don't have that really high price tag?

I don't think QA have made a bad speaker, since the brand appeared ages ago.
I only went for the baby Harb's as I'm a vocals person and every review I read said they were particularly sweet sounding in this respect. An added bonus was they completely eradicated a bass-boom problem I had with every other speaker due to placement issues. My room is 4x3.5m and I sit hard against the short side rear wall, the speakers are 21" in from side wall and 12" in from front wall, both measured to tweeter centre. The placement actually adds a bit of heft to the bass... they're not bass monsters by any stretch, but enough for me.

Never heard QA's so can't comment.

Reactions: Gray

podknocker

Accuracy of vocal reproduction does appeal to me, but it's a lot of money, even with the cheapest Harbeths.
I know I'm always going to sacrifice a bit of this with a cheaper speaker.

I'm hoping the QAs give me more 'air' with the type of music I listen to. My fear of floorstanders, is that bass integration, although the QA5040 are tighter in the bass than previous models, according to the reviews and I can always shove the foam bungs in.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Yes I can and sometimes do when "The Boss" goes to bed .... it does alleviate a large amount of the issue but they're on spikes which makes it a pain to move and have just bought cups due to the massive number of holes they're leaving in the laminate (looks like I've severe woodworm) but they make it more of a hassle.

To answer the question, yes I can but it's a PITA .... was thinking about try to put wheels on something to make it easier.
Replace the spike shoe pads with circular wood cut outs, these are much safer, less fiddly and costs pennies.
You don't need wheels, with these underneath, the speakers just slide on laminated floors.

I can't recall the amount of times, I stabbed my finger trying to put the spike into the hole, you put one in and another moves out of place aaaghh! These are a doodle and they do look nice

They sell them everywhere eBay, Amazon, Etsy etc.
:)

1694079989512.png
1694081901012.png

Last edited:

Gray

Accuracy of vocal reproduction does appeal to me,
....as it should to everyone really, due to the implication for the overall sound.

We've said it before on here, but play some (studio- based) speech from BBC Radio 4 if you want a good test.
Ask yourself the simple question of how the speaker on the speakers compares with how you think they'd sound if they were with you in the room.
There will always be the giveaway artificiality.
If not chesty or nasal sounding, there may be be a slight emphasis on sibilant sounds.

Of course, even the best studio mics aren't perfect, but it's a fair test of a speaker's tonal balance - something that positioning will influence heavily (and easily as much as the differences between many speakers).

podknocker

Human hearing is most sensitive at the frequencies associated with speech and there are many instruments which produce similar sounds. Getting vocals right on a speaker, should give you decent reproduction of many instruments.

I remember listening to an interview many years ago, on Radio 2 through my KEF Q35.2 speakers and I couldn't believe the real presence and accuracy of that reproduction.

I don't have that accuracy now, with similar priced speakers, at the end of a much more expensive bit of kit.

If I could find a new pair of the KEFs, for the same £200 I would buy them. They were great with vocals.

They were striking to look at also, in the dark apple finish, with the white polypropylene Uni Q drivers.

Last edited:

Gray

Indeed, I knew all about bass and treble - my disco speakers had twin 12" bass drivers and piezo horn tweeters.
But I really experienced quality when the midrange was right.
...being able to differentiate between bongo tones is great.

Bit off topic. Probably veering more toward the 'best hifi for quality sound' thread.

Accuracy of vocal reproduction does appeal to me, but it's a lot of money, even with the cheapest Harbeths.

I'm hoping the QAs give me more 'air' with the type of music I listen to. My fear of floorstanders, is that bass integration, although the QA5040 are tighter in the bass than previous models, according to the reviews and I can always shove the foam bungs in.
A speaker is only as good as the amplification and vice versa. In other words both components are reliant on each other.

Witterings

Replace the spike shoe pads with circular wood cut outs, these are much safer, less fiddly and costs pennies.
You don't need wheels, with these underneath, the speakers just slide on laminated floors.

I can't recall the amount of times, I stabbed my finger trying to put the spike into the hole, you put one in and another moves out of place aaaghh! These are a doodle and they do look nice

They sell them everywhere eBay, Amazon, Etsy etc.
:)

View attachment 5195
View attachment 5196

I wonder if I've enough wood to make some ..... now where did I put that chainsaw :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Only problem is they're on laminate right at the edge of the carpet so to move them forward would need lifting.

Attachments

• Spike.jpg
    Spike.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

WayneKerr

Harb's definitely aren't for everyone. It's always what sounds best to your ears, works best in your room and fits your budget. Such a lot of trial and error, I do not envy you and wishing you the best of luck (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts