Advice on what floor standers to audition

Warwickshire Lad

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Ive recently resurrected my aging separates. A Rotel RA-01 and with the matching cd player, a Pure DAB tuner and project RPM 4 turntable. This is all sat on a sound design rack with reasonable quality cables.

I currently have B&W 601 book shelf speakers and my system sounds pretty ok. However, what I do crave is the deeper more effortless sound that I had with B&W 603 floor standers which were sold when I put the separates in the loft.

My Q…… I can go and buy more of the 603’s but im aware they are getting on in years (as is my system) and consequently parts can degrade. So I look to the forum to help me shortlist speakers that will sound similar to the B&W for less than £750. My shortlist so far are new wharfdales 12.3, new triangle Borea BR08, new Fyne F303 or second hand B&W 683.

What are your thought to my shortlist, have I missed any gems?

Ps the room size is approx 10m x 7m with a high ceiling height of 5m in the apex. My favorite music genres are 80s, soul and some synth stuff like Depeche Mode

Last edited:

Warwickshire Lad

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Dali Oberon 5s are excellent, and also don't discount Acoustic Energy AE109 Mk2. These are the two I would be considering in your position.

Also, don't feel any rush to change your amp. The RA-01 is a lovely sounding amp, and you'll have to spend quite a lot to feel a change has been worthwhile.
Hi Mathew, thanks for taking time to contribute to my thread. I will research your two suggestions. Regarding my amp I really love it and can’t see me changing anytime soon unless I get totally fed up of the amp having no remote (like the rao2)

I appreciate your advice and at first glance like the aesthetic of the dalis as I don’t want a wood finish

Dali Oberon 5s are excellent, and also don't discount Acoustic Energy AE109 Mk2. These are the two I would be considering in your position.

Also, don't feel any rush to change your amp. The RA-01 is a lovely sounding amp, and you'll have to spend quite a lot to feel a change has been worthwhile.
Strangely it was the RA-01 I demoed when I purchased the A65+. We all know the outcome of that demo.

I remember hearing either RA-01 or 02 with floorstanding B&W, although can't remember the model.

It was a very good amp in its day.

Reactions: Warwickshire Lad
Hi Mathew, thanks for taking time to contribute to my thread. I will research your two suggestions. Regarding my amp I really love it and can’t see me changing anytime soon unless I get totally fed up of the amp having no remote (like the rao2)

I appreciate your advice and at first glance like the aesthetic of the dalis as I don’t want a wood finish
I would say either Dali Oberon 5 or perhaps Monitor Audio Bronze. They are different sizes so it'll boil down to which one fit the room the best.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Ive recently resurrected my aging separates. A Rotel RA-01 and with the matching cd player, a Pure DAB tuner and project RPM 4 turntable. This is all sat on a sound design rack with reasonable quality cables.

I currently have B&W 601 book shelf speakers and my system sounds pretty ok. However, what I do crave is the deeper more effortless sound that I had with B&W 603 floor standers which were sold when I put the separates in the loft.

My Q…… I can go and buy more of the 603’s but im aware they are getting on in years (as is my system) and consequently parts can degrade. So I look to the forum to help me shortlist speakers that will sound similar to the B&W for less than £750. My shortlist so far are new wharfdales 12.3, new triangle Borea BR08, new Fyne F303 or second hand B&W 683.

What are your thought to my shortlist, have I missed any gems?

Ps the room size is approx 10m x 7m with a high ceiling height of 5m in the apex. My favorite music genres are 80s, soul and some synth stuff like Depeche Mode
Hi,

For me Triangle Borea 08 are best ones from speakers that you have mentioned. My advice: take alook also on new Q Acoustics 5040. These are terrific speakers. Better value than any B@W. (Line 600).

BR
Juraj

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I'm sure you know there is the new versions of the B&W 601 both S2 and S3 both a well reviewed speaker.
If you already know your likely to like them they should take president over anything else, of course demoing first.

As for age it depends on what you class as old/vintage I guess.
Speakers are one of the most prone to wear factors in hifi but despite that they go years, even longer if cared for.
Some people only look for vintage kit.

I too thought speakers wore way quicker than they actually do but in retrospect now having the personal age to have owned a few different types and makes etc over their lifetimes was surprised how long they last.
Two pairs of heavily abused missions went 26yrs.

I personally still use a 30yr old amp in a second system (one of my personal favourites a pioneer a400) that's absolutely fine other than an power led replacement.

The speakers also in the second system are from 2016 and are flawless and regularly used.

Sure I've had mainly DJ monitors go early but that's of extreme abuse that most hifi speakers never receive.
It seems quality does indeed last.

Out of the ones you've mentioned I've heard the wharfdales and liked them very much but as forum members will probably agree "speakers are a very personal choice" but a shortlist in regard to knowing your preference is always a head start.

If you like a deep bass that's not boomy and effortless drive then I'd definitely add the Q acoustics 5040 to your list.

I heard them and put them IMO above the wharfdales and Dali oberon 7 I demoed that day, but in the end after a shocking revelation by richer sounds got to demo the 3050i straight after as he recommended personally and thought them that good I couldn't look past the price.

So commanding and musical, they almost ask to be driven hard.

Suffice to say they instantly sold themselves.
I've had them a yr now and much prefer them to the Dali 5s they replaced which I struggled to get on with, they sounded different at home as opposed to the demo room at richer sounds.

One of the occasions I agree with "what hifi" and find the QA fill the much room better.

I'd recommend if possible home demoing your shortlisted speakers to avoid such a blunder.

Hi,

For me Triangle Borea 08 are best ones from speakers that you have mentioned. My advice: take alook also on new Q Acoustics 5040. These are terrific speakers. Better value than any B@W. (Line 600).

BR
Juraj
Unfortunately he's not going to get the 5040s for his budget....
And I don't know why the Triangles are on his list either as he'll only get them second-hand for his budget....

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I
Unfortunately he's not going to get the 5040s for his budget....
And I don't know why the Triangles are on his list either as he'll only get them second-hand for his budget....
I know Peter Tyson has them in for 649 if he could like them in satin white.
Ex display a bargain, I know if I hadn't got the 3050i which I'm so happy with then I'd be very tempted.

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
If your already know you like the 603s, they might be worth reconsidering. Speakers last 20-30 years and the 603s haven't been out all that long. Also consider that when speakers do go bad it's usually the surrounds, which are inexpensive to repair and you can probably do it yourself. And if it's not the surround, it's probably a capacitor; which is also inexpensive to repair, although maybe not a do-it-yourself.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I'm seeing the Q Acoustics 3050i's in the UK @ both P . Tyson and RS advertised at £469
RS description states 'speakers per pair'... am I reading this correctly? That seems like a bargain if, indeed, it is for a pair!
It must be, as you can buy the entire 3050i 5.1 package for £999.
They are twice that price in the US.

This is the reason why I suggested a demo with Richer Sounds. We can all make recommendations until the cows come home, but unless you hear them for yourself and come back with your reaction....

That's why I've only suggested two.

I'm seeing the Q Acoustics 3050i's in the UK @ both P . Tyson and RS advertised at £469
RS description states 'speakers per pair'... am I reading this correctly? That seems like a bargain if, indeed, it is for a pair!
It must be, as you can buy the entire 3050i 5.1 package for £999.
They are twice that price in the US.
Thought we were talking about 5040, were we not....see post #10

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Thought we were talking about 5040, were we not....see post #10
I don't think we're talking about anything, people just throwing out suggestions at around "less than £750"
The 5040's are £999 but I would spend the extra £250 for them any day.
I'm just shocked at how much cheaper this stuff is in the UK.

I don't think we're talking about anything, people just throwing out suggestions at around "less than £750"
The 5040's are £999 but I would spend the extra £250 for them any day.
I'm just shocked at how much cheaper this stuff is in the UK.
Probably because your import duties and taxes are different to here in the UK.
We feel the same way when trying to buy US imports here.
I couldn't have afforded my Acoustic Zen speakers if I bought new.
And apologies for any confusion, my reply was meant to be directed towards @Stuart83 posting as it was he that mentioned £649 after my reply about 5040's

Last edited:
You’ve already had most of the suggestions I would have made. You have got a very substantial space to fill, however, so I’d counsel to look for the more sensitive speakers in your price range. That bit of jargon (sensitivity) means a bigger number of dB per watt. The result is they play louder with your amplifier.

The QA 3050i mentioned is over 90dB/watt, and is in the region I’d suggest pursuing.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I was looking at prices for new speakers. Peter Tyson is £999
I mentioned the 649 ex display QA 5040s as I regard them as new.
They aren't used and being displayed prior is trivial so to me well worth a mention.

It's a great way of getting things in new condition after all and would secure a better speaker within budget.

Warwickshire Lad

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your recommendations and advice. Over the weekend I shall draw up my selection of speakers to audit and of course that will now include QA 3050i which appear to be somewhat of a bargain.

Rest assured I will give feedback when I have pulled the trigger.

Regards and thanks, Warwickshire lad

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts