Speakers / System For An Acoustic Nightmare?

Witterings

A friend wants to get a "reasonable" system having heard my stereo last night.

To put it into perspective, he's been using an Echo Dot but wants something that will be "noticeably" better for entertaining but he's never going to be an audiophile for sure.

Trying to think ahead, the biggest issue I think he'll have is it's quite a large L shaped kitchen / living area which is tiled floor and conservatory / lots of windows.

Generally, are floor standers or standmounts likely to be better in that type of surrounding, he may go for active speakers as he'd rather keep it more minimalist if he can.

I was possibly thinking Q Acoustic M20's or possiby Acoustic Energy AE1's with a sub but as it's quite a large area not sure it'll be quite enough, if he goes floor standing route maybe Oberon 5's.

Amp .... not quite sure what to suggest, his kids will probably want to Airplay to it so either something like an SMSL AO200 with a WiiM Pro Plus when it's released (better DAC) .... or a Marantz NR 1200 ... or if he wanted the next step up, maybe a Marantz PM7000N.

Irrespective of amp though, my biggest concern is still, what type of speaker's most likely to "play well" in that sort of room.

Reactions: Revolutions

Gray

my biggest concern is still, what type of speaker's most likely to "play well" in that sort of room.
A valid concern it is too.
Make sure you let him know that, in the room you describe, absolutely no speaker whatsoever is going to reach its full potential.
In any room there's the potential for bass trouble. But in that room the mid and treble will be compromised.

For that reason, to be honest, I don't think it matters whether he goes standmount or floorstander.

Sorry to be negative but it's impossible to overstate the harm that excess reverb does to sound.

(It amazes me that so many people have ruined, unfocused sound...then ask what cables would be best 🙄)

You've recognised the acoustic nightmare - you may be able to prevent him wasting too much money.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Witterings

someone upgrading from an echo dot might be well suited to a pair of larger Sonos speakers & a sub?

Yes good thought ... I'd previously suggested Echo Studios or Sonos 1 as a pair as he wanted minimalist but hadn't thought about sub with them ..... Sonos 5's paired and with a sub may be a better option
That said having heard mine the other night with floor standers think he's now thining more than "lifestyle" set up ..... persoanlly I think that'd be a great happy medium for him though and a great suggestion (y)

You've recognised the acoustic nightmare - you may be able to prevent him wasting too much money.

Apparently he has a pair of floorstanders in the loft he can dig out and I have an SMSL AO200 I can easily take round so can at least test what the room sounds like.
My only concern I had a pair of B&W DM 110's that sat in the loft for years and it detroyed them / the sound, his may be similar but they may at least give an assement of what the room may be like.

matthewpianist

I would suggest two possible paths...

1) Consider the Technics SC-C70MkII. This has the speakers built in, is flexible over positioning, produces a good quality of sound and offers a wide range of connectivity.

2) Look at powered/active speakers like my Triangles or the competing products by Klipsch and Q Acoustics. Pairing with the WiiiM Pro would bring the benefit of 10-band parametric EQ, with plenty of well considered presets as well as full manual control. I think this would really make a significant difference in such comprised acoustics.

Witterings

I would suggest two possible paths...

1) Consider the Technics SC-C70MkII. This has the speakers built in, is flexible over positioning, produces a good quality of sound and offers a wide range of connectivity.

2) Look at powered/active speakers like my Triangles or the competing products by Klipsch and Q Acoustics. Pairing with the WiiiM Pro would bring the benefit of 10-band parametric EQ, with plenty of well considered presets as well as full manual control. I think this would really make a significant difference in such comprised acoustics.

All good suggestions, I ws also thinking of AE AE1's as well .... the WiiM hasn't released their PEQ yet or have I missed something and I believe the 1st release was only going to be 3 band?

Last edited:

matthewpianist

Reactions: Witterings

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts