Possible upgrade.....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
........ I have the chance of taking an old Denon DVD A1 from a relative for cheap (they cost £2800 when they came out). I plan to get a BD player and a new receiver. The Denon would replace my cd player (Denon DCD700AE) and my dvd player (Denon DVD1940). I would get an upscaling receiver to upscale the picture using the A1 and it would also be used as a DAC to my computer as it has digital inputs. My question is, do you think I would get as good a dvd picture using the A1 with a receiver that upscales (probably the new Denon 1909,2309 or Sony 2400), and would it be at least as good as my cd player with music? This plan would give me one less box and the BD player would give me the same number as now.

Opinions appreciated.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:........ I have the chance of taking an old Denon DVD A1 from a relative for cheap (they cost £2800 when they came out). I plan to get a BD player and a new receiver. The Denon would replace my cd player (Denon DCD700AE) and my dvd player (Denon DVD1940). I would get an upscaling receiver to upscale the picture using the A1 and it would also be used as a DAC to my computer as it has digital inputs. My question is, do you think I would get as good a dvd picture using the A1 with a receiver that upscales (probably the new Denon 1909,2309 or Sony 2400), and would it be at least as good as my cd player with music? This plan would give me one less box and the BD player would give me the same number as now.

Opinions appreciated.

Anyone??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Nnnnnngggghhhhhhhh - has to be 'yes' I think...........

Do you think the cd playback would be decent then John? I'm confident the picture would be good as I've seen it in action on an old plasma with no upscaling and it's excellent. The DAC should be good, I think it's Burr Brown PCM1704.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Nnnnnngggghhhhhhhh - has to be 'yes' I think...........

Do you think the cd playback would be decent then John? I'm confident the picture would be good as I've seen it in action on an old plasma with no upscaling and it's excellent. The DAC should be good, I think it's Burr Brown PCM1704.

I've just seen that it's the same DAC as the CD31 has!

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Nnnnnngggghhhhhhhh - has to be 'yes' I think...........

There you go then
emotion-1.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Nnnnnngggghhhhhhhh - has to be 'yes' I think...........

There you go then
emotion-1.gif

I will start negotiations in the morning....

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Nnnnnngggghhhhhhhh - has to be 'yes' I think...........

There you go then
emotion-1.gif

Don't want to dent any enthusiasm, and I'm sure it will sound great, but the DAC chip itself is a small piece of a bigger jigsaw.
If it weren't then there would be a hundred DIY DACs sounding just as good as the classleaders... After all they cost relatively little as a 'part'

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Nnnnnngggghhhhhhhh - has to be 'yes' I think...........

There you go then
emotion-1.gif

Don't want to dent any enthusiasm, and I'm sure it will sound great, but the DAC chip itself is a small piece of a bigger jigsaw.
If it weren't then there would be a hundred DIY DACs sounding just as good as the classleaders... After all they cost relatively little as a 'part'

Thanks for your input frOg. Do you think that it will offer decent cd playback though? It was designed as a top of the range universal player and you have to spend a lot of money for a cd player with digital in (840C is easily the cheapest I've seen). I could sell my cd player and dvd player for at least £300 so it would be like spending no more than £100. The 840C is £750.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:
Thanks for your input frOg. Do you think that it will offer decent cd playback though? It was designed as a top of the range universal player and you have to spend a lot of money for a cd player with digital in (840C is easily the cheapest I've seen). I could sell my cd player and dvd player for at least £300 so it would be like spending no more than £100. The 840C is £750.

I can't really comment, as I haven't heard it. Was just a word of warning. However I would probably take a punt myself, as I can't imagine it sounding anything other than fantastic, and if the picture isn't at least as good as your Denon, I'd be surprised.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Also, don't gamble on getting £300 for your CD and DVD... the 1940 is £150 in Richer sounds, and the 700 is £200 ;(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts