2000s Hifi system upgrade advice

Oliver06

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
I was considering upgrading my hifi system. Currently I have :

- For speakers, B&W DW 303 bought around year 2000
- Denon DRA F100.
- Vinyl deck Audio Technica AT LP3 (full automatic) with a VN95E stylus.
- CD player Denon dcd520ae (quite new, no need to upgrade it)

As a priority, I would need to upgrade the Denon with a Bluetooth and DAB receiver, compatible with my B&W 8 ohms loudspeakers.
It must have a phono input.
I am looking for an amplifier around 300/400€ max like that one:
Loudspeakers 400€ like
https://newmusic.brussels/webshop/#...ers--0x26--wilkins-607-s2-anniversary-edition

I am hesitating to upgrade my vinyl deck since the AT is really good but this one looks really nice:
It needs to be fully or at least semi-automatic.

Thank you in advance.

Fandango Andy

I'm not familiar with your amp, but the rest of your equipment is good. What are you hoping to achieve with the upgrade? If just to get the Bluetooth and DAB it may be worth just adding a streamer to what you have. WiiM Mini and an external DAC will cost about £150 (in UK, probably similar where you are). If you are set on an upgrade, I haven't heard a MiiM amp but all the reviews are raving about them.

matthewpianist

I'm in agreement with @Fandango Andy - adding a Wiim Mini or Wiim Pro could be the best option, keeping the rest as it is.

Alternatively, you could opt for the Denon unit I have, and use the phono stage that is built into your AT turntable. That would be a nice, tidy set-up and add Bluetooth aptX, excellent streaming capabilities including internet radio (which sounds better than DAB). If you desperately want DAB you will need to opt for the CEOL N11 rather than the N10.

Oliver06

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
I'm in agreement with @Fandango Andy - adding a Wiim Mini or Wiim Pro could be the best option, keeping the rest as it is.

Alternatively, you could opt for the Denon unit I have, and use the phono stage that is built into your AT turntable. That would be a nice, tidy set-up and add Bluetooth aptX, excellent streaming capabilities including internet radio (which sounds better than DAB). If you desperately want DAB you will need to opt for the CEOL N11 rather than the N10.
Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the CEOL N11 (499€), I see that it has analog input for my vinyl deck, but I noticed that the sound is better when you have a dedicated phono input. Do you notice a difference? Wouldn't it be better to get an amp with dedicated phono?

matthewpianist

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the CEOL N11 (499€), I see that it has analog input for my vinyl deck, but I noticed that the sound is better when you have a dedicated phono input. Do you notice a difference? Wouldn't it be better to get an amp with dedicated phono?
Your AT turntable has its own phono stage built-in, you simply need to switch it to 'Line Out' so that it sends a line-level input to the amp.

My turntable doesn't have a built-in phono stage so I use an external one between the turntable and the analogue input of the Denon. You don't need to do this.

gasolin

Bad combination, the amp is nothing special and the speakers have fare from good highs, it's to loud and fatiguing

Look,listen to speakers like mission lx, wharfedale diamond 12

Last edited:

gasolin

I agree, particularly the amp.
Fosi audio v3 or AIYIMA A07 MAX + SMSL SU-1 for a pc is much better (get a phono preamp if you need that instead of a dac or get it without if the turntable has a phonostage built in and you don't mind swapping cables)

Something like a TOPPING PA3S has 2 inputs, TOPPING MX3S has 3 digital and 1 analog in, they will sound as good or mabye better in most cases for less or the the same price as the sony (remember to check is it comes with a power supply)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS