PMC twenty 21 or Kef LS50 for my system and music...

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I started a thread a week or so ago about moving from my Totem Arro to a standmount to partner my REL T5 subwoofer.

I've decided it's between the PMC twenty 21 and the Kef LS50 but I keep changing my mind based on what I read and haven't yet taken the plunge. I know it's not recommended but I'm buying without auditioning, which for various reasons I'm unable to do. I did the same with the Totems and I'll be trading the Totems in for whichever I decide to go for.
I was all set to go for the PMC but have read it might be a bit clinical and dry. The Kef appeals as it's much cheaper and might be a bit warmer but as good as it is, is just good for the price? Is the PMC much better? Are they just priced differently but on a similar level?
My question is for my system and music, which would be more suitable? I'm looking for a good all-rounder.
My listening room is roughly 3.8m x 3.7m although the room is open to another room.
My current system is Rega Saturn, Rega Elicit, Rega Dac the ones before the current R versions.

Music I listen to mostly is Genesis, Queen, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Rush, occasionally Metallica when I'm in the mood or some lighter acoustic stuff like Nick Drake.
My Totem Arros are pretty good and the addition of the REL T5 sub has given me a fuller sound with added depth and the combination is better with rock than the Totems on their own but I'd now like a touch more detail and accuracy too with possibly a little more warmth.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. I think the LS50s may be the safer bet....and cheaper....but I'm never happy for anyone to buy blind from my recommendation.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Ric969 said:
I know, sorry. Are the Kefs a good all-rounder or do they favour a certain genre of music?

In my view they are pretty allround, maybe with the exception of heavy metal. But then again, very few speakers do heavy metal really well.

They have nice synergy with Rega too. You should find a dealer easily to audition these speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think they are great all rounders....but I'm biased, as I own some.

I play everything from Opera, Concertos, Choral Works, Jazz, Electronic, Rock and Acoustic.

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think they are great all rounders....but I'm biased, as I own some.

I play everything from Opera, Concertos, Choral Works, Jazz, Electronic, Rock and Acoustic.

That's great. What stands have you got yours on? I was looking at some earlier, Custom Design fs104 look good and I quite like the look of Norstone Stylum 2 stands. Atacama had some good ones too.

matthewpiano

KEF and Rega is an excellent combination. I had Q100s with my Brio-R for a while and enjoyed them very much. I'll probably get another pair of KEFs at some point as I like to have a couple of different speakers I can swap between as the muse takes me.

I've also heard KEF Reference 5 floorstanders with the Rega Osiris integrated, and R300s with the Elicit-R, and both sounded very good.

My concern is the same as Cno's though. I've also heard PMC sound very nice with Rega amplification (Fact 8s with the Elicit-R and DB1i with the Brio-R) and if you can find any way at all to audition, then I would strongly recommend trying PMC and KEF before making your choice. If there are practical reasons why you can't, have you thought of contacting a dealer to see if they would visit you and do a home demo?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ric969 said:
That's great. What stands have you got yours on? I was looking at some earlier, Custom Design fs104 look good and I quite like the look of Norstone Stylum 2 stands. Atacama had some good ones too.

I use the Soundstyle Z2, which I have part filled with sand. They are shorter than ideal, but that is what I needed.

They are well made and do the job, but I think you'd be better with Custom Design or Partington.

iceman16

I think you really need to audition them both before parting with your hard earned money. IMO they're both very good speakers but the PMC 21 are not twice as good in terms of price compared to the LS50s

Pmc twenty 21....20 year guarantee .play rock and metal extremely well,due to the sonolex tweeter and that transmission line helps absorb all those unwanted low frequencies.Fantastic wee monitors with sound that belies there modest dimensions,but they need sited close to a wall to sound at there best.I also commited the sin of not demoing before i bought my twenties.no dealer close to me so i took a gamble but the dealer said i could return if i wasn't happy with them and i was ....extremely...after a bit of room work and speaker poditioning.I'm sure the ls50's sound fantastic also,But for me, build quality,looks and pride of ownership are important factors and the pmc's are a cut above the kefs imho, oh and did i mention that 20 year warranty.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Don't rule out ATC SCM11. Run mine with a Rega Elex-r. Very nice match. Listen to a lot of similar music to you. Dire Straits live at the BBC on spotify sounds amazing. I think price of ATC falls somewhere between your choices. Previously had the LS50s and they are great. SCM11s just do everything better for me, as they should being more expensive. Contact Rick at Musicraft, does a good deal and is great to deal with.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The KEF LS50 + subwoofer would be good for rock. Set the sub to take over at something like 80Hz and that leaves the KEF to handle everything above it.

KEF on their own wouldn't be nearly as good as the small bass/mid driver struggled alone to provide the scale and punch of rock to do it justice but that would only be at higher volumes. At lower to mid the KEF is fine.

One other thing, if you're in the UK you can buy direct from KEF and are covered by the distance selling regulations. If you don't like them for whatever reason (and you don't even need to give them a reason) you can ask for your money back within 14 days of receiving them so you basically have a two week home trial to decide. That's what I did when I bought mine and I ended up keeping them. I'm a rock music fan too into the same bands you mention.

A solid stand is a must and I bought the Custom Design FS104 and part filled the centre columns.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
The KEF LS50 + subwoofer would be good for rock. Set the sub to take over at something like 80Hz and that leaves the KEF to handle everything above it.

KEF on their own wouldn't be nearly as good as the small bass/mid driver struggled alone to provide the scale and punch of rock to do it justice but that would only be at higher volumes. At lower to mid the KEF is fine.

One other thing, if you're in the UK you can buy direct from KEF and are covered by the distance selling regulations. If you don't like them for whatever reason (and you don't even need to give them a reason) you can ask for your money back within 14 days of receiving them so you basically have a two week home trial to decide. That's what I did when I bought mine and I ended up keeping them. I'm a rock music fan too into the same bands you mention.

A solid stand is a must and I bought the Custom Design FS104 and part filled the centre columns.

I use the ls50's with a rel s3 and its mind blowingly good with any genre, good stands are essential as is amplification.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I own kef r700 and like kef and the ls50 very much but i would not buy blind as to me they sounded a lot different when i actually heard them compared to how i expected them to sound based on reading reviews.
However if you can return them id go for the ls50s and give your mind a few days to get used to the presentation and then make up your mind.

If i were you though, id consider atc monitors over kef. The 19s or 11s

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Kef Ls50.Perfect combo with your Sub.But...if you can´t leave them space you are maybe better of with the PMC as the Ls50 need more space around to shine.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I moved away from standmounts plus a sub, back to standmounts and now onto smaller floorstanders. I always felt the sound was compromised with the sub and never quite timed as well as without it.

Have you thought of trying out the Neat SX2 or the new Rega RX3 given you have Rega kit?

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
FWIW, I moved away from standmounts plus a sub, back to standmounts and now onto smaller floorstanders. I always felt the sound was compromised with the sub and never quite timed as well as without it.

Have you thought of trying out the Neat SX2 or the new Rega RX3 given you have Rega kit?

Yes, the Neat SX2 is one I've looked at. It's a very small floorstander and leans back like the PMC twenty series. I had the previous Rega Rs3 before my Totem Arro but the new RX range is supposed to be better.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I was really impressed with the Neats. They produce a fantastic sound, not just for their size, but full stop!

They certainly have the 'wife approval factor' but I was wowed by the Audio Physic Classic 10s and went for them in the end!

The new Regas didn't really do it for me (powered by my Arcam A38 amp) but they have gotta be worth a try with your Rega gear. Just make sure you try before you buy!

Happy listening!

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

Another speaker has come into my thoughts now, the Dali Rubicon 2 *wink*

rubicon_2.jpg

news_rubicon_2_02.jpg

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I own kef r700 and like kef and the ls50 very much but i would not buy blind as to me they sounded a lot different when i actually heard them compared to how i expected them to sound based on reading reviews. However if you can return them id go for the ls50s and give your mind a few days to get used to the presentation and then make up your mind.

If i were you though, id consider atc monitors over kef. The 19s or 11s

You can buy blind when you buy online and KEF sell this particular speaker online. They don't sell the R series online. You have the distance selling regulations which gives you 14 days to change your mind and get a full refund. So basically you have a two week home trial.

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Jota180 said:
You can buy blind when you buy online and KEF sell this particular speaker online. They don't sell the R series online. You have the distance selling regulations which gives you 14 days to change your mind and get a full refund. So basically you have a two week home trial.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up Mark. Yes I noticed those last week but the stands are nearly £300 and I noticed another site selling a new pair with free stands making them about the same price. I did think about phoning and asking if they could offer a discount if I bought the show pair.

Don't think I'd pay the £300 for the stands...Ok I might,but I'm sure they'd be just as happy on a pair of attacama moseco 6's at half the money.in dark bamboo ooooh...I'm actually looking for a set of stands for my own pmc's at the moment.my b&w fs700's just aren't fitting in...aesthetically speaking.last piece of silver in the room,so it's either moseco in the bamboo to go with the eris rack or the pmc twenty stands.

TRENDING THREADS