Please, please, please kill that AVI thread.

Tonestar1

Kill it plus ten. Dubious uber-evangelism makes me suspicious of the postees.. I'll say no more. I got in trouble on the thread in question for ranting about an ex-member of this forum so not going to get into more trouble on this thread.

Messiah

Just don't read it. Seems obvious to me.

Do you really need people to point that out?

I can summarise it for you:

AVI owners on one side praising the quality of the speakers. Others who have never heard them / do not like Ashley on the other stating that there is some sort of cult following going on and the speakers cannot be that good.

Then we end up with a Passive Vs Active 'debate'. Arguments ensue and the thread gets locked.

A few weeks later AVI is mentioned again and the same pattern continues. Bit like Groundhog Day really! :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
If you find it boring you have two options.

1. Stop reading it.

2. Say something like "ADM9s are better than all other speakers" or "Naim is rubbish". The resulting argument is guaranteed to get the thread locked. :twisted:

jjbomber

1) They have their cult meeting on a Thursday morning. What a day to suggest such a thing.

2) LIke any religion, they are a protected species in the UK.

3) They are entitled to freedom of speech. More worrying; they vote!

4) The Rega fan club are not far behind. Not to mention the turntable brigade. To Naim but two.

5) An empty tin rattles the most. They have a lot to say.

6) Apple fans are even more brainwashed. Remember them when they launched the ipad3, only for Apple to pull it 6 months later.

7) AVI stands for All Very Interesting. Let it run.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I wondered how long it would take before biased, argumentative posts popped up in this thread too.

That was quick, good work chaps! :)

Messiah

John Duncan said:
Messiah said:
I knew you were going to put that. :)

I could have put so much more.

Oh I know, I have read it all before on many threads.

To be honest I do not know why I even read the AVI threads as I try to avoid reading the same old comments from either side. Once you have read one AVI thread you have read them all kind of thing.

I shall follow my own advise and not read them!

Tonestar1

Messiah said:
John Duncan said:
Messiah said:

To be honest I do not know why I even read the AVI threads as I try to avoid reading the same old comments from either side. Once you have read one AVI thread you have read them all kind of thing.

Messiah,

You are one of the few opinions I would actually heed. Apart from you I ignore the rest of tha AVI evangelists.

Messiah

Tonestar1 said:
Messiah said:
John Duncan said:
Messiah said:

Messiah,

You are one of the few opinions I would actually heed. Apart from you I ignore the rest of tha AVI evangelists.

OK, you got me. I read the thread again. But I felt compelled now to say thank you for that comment.

I enjoy reading the various threads on this site and I try to refrain from any arguments. The AVI subject is always going to cause a stir. For me I own the ADMs and I am very happy with them. But, I will not regurgitate spiel about why AVI / active speakers are 'the best'.

Are they 'the best'? For some people they are, for others they are not. Simple. I have heard plenty of other systems that offer a different but still great sound. I just think people on both sides should just get over it and focus on more constructive topics.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JD - how about a WHF Big Question with an AVI system and another 'high end system' to prove once and for all (using blind testing, and no one knowing what they're listening to, or why they're even there) whether the claims of sounding better than a £10k system actually have any weight?

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
JD - how about a WHF Big Question with an AVI system and another 'high end system' to prove once and for all (using blind testing, and no one knowing what they're listening to, or why they're even there) whether the claims of sounding better than a £10k system actually have any weight?

good idea, could also do it with and without the sub as well.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Messiah said:
Once you have read one AVI thread you have read them all kind of thing.

They are repetitive and boring. I think I'll follow your advice and stop reading them too.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:

+1

This would be an interesting 'Big Question'. Especially with and without the sub.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Messiah said:

AVI owners on one side praising the quality of the speakers. Others who have never heard them / do not like Ashley on the other stating that there is some sort of cult following going on and the speakers cannot be that good.

Then we end up with a Passive Vs Active 'debate'. Arguments ensue and the thread gets locked.

A few weeks later AVI is mentioned again and the same pattern continues. Bit like Groundhog Day really! :)
Where do you post if you have heard AVIs but didn't like them, or do you have to start a new thread?

John Duncan

FrankHarveyHiFi said:

You'd have to ask somebody who works for the magazine. I did something similar but it doesn't count as it was sighted...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

What system would you have in mind Frank? Would it out of neccessity use similar sized speakers to the ADMs for example?

I imagine you would need a DAC in addition to amplification too, for completeness, with say, a CD player common to both systems to compare with and without DACs.

All that aside, I can't see something like this being pulled off by the mag and the ADMs would be the winners regardless of result. Either they would be better outright, or deemed a success as they needed to be pitted against a multi thousand pound system to be bettered.

Far better to include a variety of system types and at different price levels, including budget, but what would be the benefit for the mag?

Messiah

altruistic.lemon said:
Messiah said:

Where do you post if you have heard AVIs but didn't like them, or do you have to start a new thread?

You have to book an appointment with the doctor as there MUST be something wrong with your hearing! lol

You could start a new thread of course but I know how that is going to go...

(Must stop reading this now!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts