Plasma connection advice.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, having been tempted by reviews, and convinced by seeing it in the flesh, I've just bought a Panasonic TH42PX70 with pedestal (bargain from Sound and Vision Online at under £700 inc stand and delivery - perhaps I should have posted under Hot Deals!). I have a Panasonic DMR-EH60D DVD Recorder (with built in hard drive and freeview tuner) which I'm very happy with, but I fear I'm about to run into some audio connectivity issues.

Notwithstanding the limitations of this modest set-up, I want to connect up the tv and recorder to get the best out of them that I reasonably can. The recorder has component-out sockets for video, and a digital optical audio socket, but the tv audio input (if using component), appears to be RCA phono.

I don't have a surround sound receiver/speakers to hook it up to ("she who must be convinced" will not tolerate the speakers/cables etc in the living room), and so the most I can hope for in the way of future upgrades will be a replacement for the recorder as and when the current one conks out. (Only other possibility is audio via my ageing budget stereo, but I'm not sure it will gain me anything - Marantz PM4001 & pair of ancient but loved KEF Cantor 11's).

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions out there as to how best to connect what I've got to get the best out of it. Component & RCA phono, or RGB Scart, or what?

Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hey 242badger,

The Panasonics are nice TV's - I'm looking at one myself in the next month or so. My advice for your particular setup would be to connect your recorder to the TV through the component video, and stick the RCA phono into your marantz. It would be nice to connect the DVD with HDMI - perhaps your future upgrade will get you on with HDMI out - but you should be very happy with the component out. The audio into your marantz should beat the built in TV speakers.

just my 2½'s

cheers,

Jeff

A

Anonymous

Goldeneye, many thanks for your views. I'm going to follow your advice for the moment, but continue trying to persuade my wife that a surround sound set-up is not just for batchelor pads!

Thanks again,

242badger

TRENDING THREADS