REGA 78 Planar and ONKYO Amp

APWildebeast

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi Newbie to the forum.

I have been given a 78 rpm Planar turntable and am looking the best way to connect it to my ONKYO A-9010?
I can only get a tinny audio from one speaker, the turntable has internal RCA cables attached. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Also does anyone know best settings for the REGA tone arm?

Many thanks

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi Newbie to the forum.

I have been given a 78 rpm Planar turntable and am looking the best way to connect it to my ONKYO A-9010?
I can only get a tinny audio from one speaker, the turntable has internal RCA cables attached. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Also does anyone know best settings for the REGA tone arm?

Many thanks
Well the 9010 has a built-in phono stage so you will want to connect the turntable leads to that and to nothing else, that's probably why you're getting the tinny audio because a turntable puts out such a low signal that when you plug it into a standard auxiliary input all you'll ever get is low volume.

In regards to the audio out of one channel, well that's a little harder to ascertain without looking at it. It could be maybe a bad cable on the turntable or maybe a bad cartridge or maybe the cartridge leads are hooked up incorrectly to the cartridge itself, it could be a lot of things.

My advice to you, and no offense meant, but it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with stereo gear, so my advice to you would be to take it to a dealer and have them check it out to make sure it's playing records properly.

I hope this helps you.

Unfortunately with this turntable you can only play 78 rpm records. Do you have many of those?
If fitted with the RB78 cartridge you are only going to get mono output but it should present the same signal to each speaker.
The turntable needs to be connected to the phono sockets on your amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts