More beginner questions!

pmcg911

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

After some great advice from you guys on speakers, i now have a pair of Mission M72s. So thank you all! I now need to know how to wire them. The speakers are my actual speakers, the amp pictured isn't mine but just an image I found online as I'm not at home right now.

I have four core speaker wire, but I'm not too sure what goes where, both on the amp end and the speaker end. Sorry for asking such a novice question but, I gotta start somewhere!

Thanks so much,

PaulScreenshot_20240502_110101_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240502_105930_Facebook.jpg

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
You just need one set of speaker cables: plug them into red/black for speaker system 1 on the amp, then you can use any input on the speakers, making sure to match red-red & black-black. That metal plate connects the two speaker inputs so you can use either.

Someone here will be able to explain succintly why speakers have two inputs for bi-wiring & bi-amping. The former won't give you an improvement in sound, and the latter requires another amp :giggle:

Reactions: pmcg911

pmcg911

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
That's helpful, thank you! So I just ignore System 2 on the amp altogether, right?

Ah okay, so to be clear, I can plug into any red and any black on the speaker, as both HF and LF are connected?

Thanks again

You just need one set of speaker cables: plug them into red/black for speaker system 1 on the amp, then you can use any input on the speakers, making sure to match red-red & black-black. That metal plate connects the two speaker inputs so you can use either.
Someone here will be able to explain succintly why speakers have two inputs for bi-wiring & bi-amping. The former won't give you an improvement in sound, and the latter requires another amp :giggle:

pmcg911

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Additionally, you could even look for a single-driver loudspeaker, that way you would eliminate the need to connect a total of 8 cables if you choose to bi-wire and bi-amp.
Agh, you're getting advanced on me here 😅 But yes, I'll bear this in mind. I've only just acquired these speakers though, so I probably won't be investing for a little while

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Additionally, you could even look for a single-driver loudspeaker, that way you would eliminate the need to connect a total of 8 cables if you choose to bi-wire and bi-amp.
How do you bi-wire or bi-amp a single driver speaker, as there is no crossover? It would be impossible to provide HF and LF connectors for the + and - terminals?

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
How do you bi-wire or bi-amp a single driver speaker, as there is no crossover? It would be impossible to provide HF and LF connectors for the + and - terminals?
You don't have to. Just four cables, however how many cores/strands inside each cable, that would depend on your choice/past experience in powering your stereo loudspeakers.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
You don't have to. Just four cables, however how many cores/strands inside each cable, that would depend on your choice/past experience in powering your stereo loudspeakers.
You can't bi wire or bi amp a single driver speaker!
Here is a pic of a single driver. It has a + and - terminal... explain how you could bi wire or bi amp it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 7.02.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 7.02.08 AM.png
    661.7 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Al ears

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Don't bother.
The point is... you can't bi wire a single driver speaker, you need 2 drivers and a crossover.
You could bi amp a single driver by connecting 2 power amps. to it's 2 terminals, but what would be the point?
I agree, bi wiring is an absolute waste of time and usually makes the system sound worse (at least it did with mine when I gave it a try).
Cambridge Audio have a discussion about it on their web site and state the same thing... and that's why they don't offer dual terminals on their speakers. If the crossover is of good design and high quality it's absolutely pointless.

podknocker

I tried bi-wiring many years ago and found no improvement, it's just twice the cost for speaker leads and plugs. Can anyone honestly advise if there are any real advantages to bi-wiring and having more faff?

I would also love to know how many people need to run 2 pairs of speakers from an amp. I don't know why 2 sets of binding posts is still an option these days. More complicated and expensive products.

Both bi-wiring and running 2 pairs of speakers from a 2 channel amp seems pointless. The number of people needing either must be a vanishingly low percentage.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I tried bi-wiring many years ago and found no improvement, it's just twice the cost for speaker leads and plugs. Can anyone honestly advise if there are any real advantages to bi-wiring and having more faff?

I would also love to know how many people need to run 2 pairs of speakers from an amp. I don't know why 2 sets of binding posts is still an option these days. More complicated and expensive products.

Both bi-wiring and running 2 pairs of speakers from a 2 channel amp seems pointless. The number of people needing either must be a vanishingly low percentage.
I agree, bi 'wiring' is voodoo BS pseudo science (however, they may be a benefit to bi 'amping' in some cases).
I have run 2 pairs of speakers from one amp in the past but am not currently.
It also allows for the option of bi amping if one wants to go down that rabbit hole.
Bear in mind that bi wiring and bi amping are 2 totally different things.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

I have four core speaker wire
So do I Paul.
You and me both, don't need 4-core cable, because just 2 cores are all we need running to each speaker.
However, if we've got 4 cores, then we use 4 cores - if only to double the amount of conductors to each speaker (which means lower electrical resistance).

If you wanted, you could just double up the cable into each 4mm banana plug.
Or you could do what I do and make use of all your available terminals by using separate plugs.

With 4 plugs at the speaker end, you've then got a choice:
If you leave the shorting links in place, you'll be using 2 cable pairs but not 'bi-wiring'.
If you remove the links you'll be using your 2 cable pairs to actually 'bi-wire'.

Reactions: DougK1
Is the crossover inside the Mission M72 wired that way to power both drivers?
Splitting hairs a bit, but it’s wired to power each driver. The connecting plates in situ mean both LF and HF can be powered by one set of cables, per channel. This is more typical.

As the OP has four core, he could run separate cables to HF and LF and remove the linking plate. Hence bi-wiring, as each pair of cables will then only ‘see’ either LF load or HF load, which might yield a slight benefit.

All this stuff is way too fiddly and time consuming and totally unnecessary. Bi-amping means possible timing issues with 1 amp driving the tweeter and the other driving the bass. One amp and a quality crossover is more than enough and I don't understand why people want to overcomplicate things just for the sake of it.
I don’t think timing is relevant with biamping, but level matching might be. I agree with the sentiment that it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

Last edited:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
The point is... you can't bi wire a single driver speaker, you need 2 drivers and a crossover.
You could bi amp a single driver by connecting 2 power amps. to it's 2 terminals, but what would be the point?
I agree, bi wiring is an absolute waste of time and usually makes the system sound worse (at least it did with mine when I gave it a try).
Cambridge Audio have a discussion about it on their web site and state the same thing... and that's why they don't offer dual terminals on their speakers. If the crossover is of good design and high quality it's absolutely pointless.
Understood. My answer was directed at the posters fantasy with single driver speakers, a one man crusade chasing an unwanted unicorn, ridiculous. I'm sure he's baiting everyone and having a good laugh.

I'm happy I only have one set of binding posts on my amp and my speakers, they do the job nicely.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Understood. My answer was directed at the posters fantasy with single driver speakers, a one man crusade chasing an unwanted unicorn, ridiculous. I'm sure he's baiting everyone and having a good laugh.

I'm happy I only have one set of binding posts on my amp and my speakers, they do the job nicely.
I don't think the OP had any interest in single driver speakers. He has just purchased the Mission's after advice from these forums.
Someone else started banging on about single drivers... and then bi wiring / bi amping reared it's ugly head again. It's hilarious ROFL

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I don't think the OP had any interest in single driver speakers. He has just purchased the Mission's after advice from these forums.
Someone else started banging on about single drivers... and then bi wiring / bi amping reared it's ugly head again. It's hilarious ROFL
It wasn't the OP I was alluding to, it was Kenneth, he was the the poster I was responding to with my original "Don't bother" comment, and my subsequent "unicorn" post(y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts