Pioneer PDP-428XD vs PDP-508XD or -608XD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For those of you that have had a chance to see the new pioneer screens, can I ask your opinion on something?

Appreciating that the Pioneer PDP-428XD is only 720p............... can any body out there honestly tell me they saw any difference between the picture on this and the 50"/60" 1080p versions at the Bristol show.

I spent a good 20 minutes comparing them and apart from the obvious size difference, I could see no difference in picture quality at all!

Granted, I was trying to compare them through a sea of people at the time, but I'd appreciate somebody else's view.

A

Anonymous

Bump - Anyone?

I'd really appreciate someone elses view on this.

A

Anonymous

The 428 is an excellent screen with SD & HD content. The only advantages I can see with the 508 & 608 are:

1. Screen size, you'll soon get used to the 42"
2. If you view a lot of HD content and sit less than 8 feet away, but then you shouldn't need a 50 or 60" screen if you sit this close.

I bought my 428 in January and I'm thrilled to bits with it. My mate has the panny 42PX70, the 428 is simply streets ahead with SD (V+, DVD) content.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

There isn't a Pioneer PDP-608XD. There is a Pioneer PDP-508XD, and a Pioneer PDP-LX60D, but not a 608XD... I think.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
My local dealer has the 60" on display and it looks fantastic but then again hes displaying it permanently using Blu Ray. The problem as always with a large screen is that of scaling SD and how it become softer the bigger its blown. Unless you'vre going to use it exclusively as a cinema screen with Blu Ray or sit a long way away, I'd consider a smaller screen.

BTW I'll be posting a warning about buying Pioneer screens shortly with pics, just haven't got around to it yet.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="BenjaminHart"]
There isn't a Pioneer PDP-608XD. There is a Pioneer PDP-508XD, and a Pioneer PDP-LX60D, but not a 608XD... I think.
[/quote]

You're right, the model I saw at the show was the PDP-LX608D.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Alsone"]
BTW I'll be posting a warning about buying Pioneer screens shortly with pics, just haven't got around to it yet.
[/quote]

I'd be very interested in hearing about this as I'm planning on buying one soon.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Alsone"]BTW I'll be posting a warning about buying Pioneer screens shortly with pics, just haven't got around to it yet.[/quote]

A warning, that sounds serious. Please post info ASAP.

A

Anonymous

Hi

The competitive stores have been running a promo - free 5 year warrenty - with 428xd sets. This will expire tomorrow. I was planning to purchase in my lunch hour on the basis of all teh recommendations and get piece of mind into the bargain. Best price I can find with this offer is in Ilford at £1499 instore.

I will wait for Blu Ray to get more afordable before plumping for a Pioneer player and was looking to consider a DVD player for around £150 .

The posts here have suggested:

1. The TV may well be fine as is with my current budget standard DVD player

2. A nervousness about not going for full 1080p - I was getting over this one. The 50 inch set will be too big and my kids sit too near.

3. Now a new worry?

And now Panasonic are coming back with a rival range v shortly. The kid friendly ideas trailed seem useful for my lounge!

Should I wait to understand the issues or bite the bullet. Money is burning a hole but I don't buy thos stuff often. Want to future proof myself for a time when lots of HD content may be widely available and blu ray becomes the norm. Dont have sky or cable presently so excitement with my DVD collection is the main aim. And I havent even got my head round AV yet!!

So please help with views? xxx

Ronnie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts