Spotify vs Tidal - initial review

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Taking advantage of the free trial for Tidal, I decided to take the plunge today, so here’s an initial review from a few hours’ listening. I was streaming from my iPad using Airplay to my Pioneer VSX-2021 receiver, both through my MA Radius R270HD’s and my Sennheiser headphones for Spotify and Tidal.

I must state at the outset that I absolutely LOVE Spotify, so I’m not going to be a Tidal pushover. I essentially use Spotify for learning about new music and creating playlists for background music, friends coming round and less focussed listening. Then if I really like an album after a few auditions, I purchase the CD. Not being young enough to have grown up with streaming, I’m struggling to let go of the concept of “owning a music collection.”

Please bear with me with the length of this post. If you’re seriously contemplaying Tidal, there are one or two potential deal-breakers below, so please have the patience to read on…

Using the Tidal iOS app

The layout is very clear and intuitive. Within a short time I’d become almost as familiar with it as with Spotify. Swiping from the left brings up the main options of What’s New / Playlists / Genres / My Music / Offline Content / Audio Search and Settings.

I wouldn’t say it’s buggy as such, but it can be very slow to respond to inputs. If you’re playing an album and want to select something else it seems to take a few taps before the app realises, then 5 to 10 seconds to actually play it. Occasionally it didn’t seem to respond at all. How much this operation lag is due to the increased demand on my wifi, I couldn’t say. Whatever, I can’t say it’s as slick and quick Spotify.

This may seem a minor point, but when I have time to treat myself to a few Spotify hours, I’ll be jumping all over the shop using the related artists feature, dipping my toe in a track and moving on before settling on a smaller handful of artists I’d like to give a more concentrated listen. Doing this on Tidal will take longer, so for discovering new music it won’t be quite such a pleasant experience.

Listening Comparisons

I mainly stuck to albums I knew best that I know are well mastered. I listened to more than this, but the main differences can be illustrated with these examples.

Nitin Sawnhey – Philtre – Noches En Vela (Parts 1 and 2). – I did a back to back comparison here beginning with Spotify. This is a very well-produced album and is about as good as a 320kbps track can sound. TBH, it sounded pretty good! The pluck of the guitar and electronic beats stood out well, as they should.

Then I played it through Tidal. Initially I couldn’t seem to detect much difference, but once I spotted the changes, this pattern became more obvious with other music too. The soundstage became much larger and it was easier to detect each individual texture within the music.

I noticed the greatest difference to the sound with percussion, particularly upper treble. Anything with a tendency towards sibilance could sound a bit unruly and ‘splashy’ on Spotify. Tidal just sounded more in control. We are talking shades, not night and day, but this extra 5-10% of technical merit added 25% more emotion and slam to the tracks.

Rodrigo y Gabriela – 11:11. Playing “Triveni” – much of the same comments as the Nitin Sawnhey track were apparent here so I won’t duplicate them, suffice to say that the tidiness of each note through Tidal just helped with the overall impact of the timing, crucial to a plucky track like this.

Camelia Jordana – Dans La Peau. Playing the very North African feel track “Ma gueule” it was interesting to see the affect that the wider soundstage through Tidal had on the track. It seemed to make more space to allow Camelia’s achingly beautiful voice shine through. Everything was there on Spotify, but the more compressed soundstage just seemed to reduce her voice a little in the mix. Tidal allowed the 15% full bodied red wine voice to flood through the track with all it’s texture, breathiness and tone in tact.

Benjamin Clementine – Cornerstone. This is just an epic track full of vitality and emotion and it sounds absolutely gorgeous on Tidal. That smidgen more detail comes through actually in his voice. There’s just a little more texture to it. (I noticed this playing the Staves, Dead & Born & Grown too that ) the enunciation of consonants in his voice seems that bit more precise. It’s rather similar to the trebly percussion I mentioned above.

Catalogue

This was just as interesting as the listening comparison and showed some very unexpected results. My musical tastes are not very mainstream anyway, so I was curious to see how Tidal coped with some leftfield searches.

Electronica:

Alphawezen. Both my favourite albums, En Passant and Comme Vous Voulez were present.

Radiohead (yes pretty mainstream!) This was an interesting one. Radiohead is noteworthy by its absence on Spotify, but my favourite albums Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief were there (as were the Special Edition versions), although the newer albums The King of Limbs and In Rainbows weren’t there.

Folk / Singer Songwriter:

Snowgoose – Harmony Springs. On Spotify but not Tidal. This is quite an obscure find, so congrats to Spotify to having it. Jolly good album too, check it out!

The Unthanks – this was the biggest disappointment for me with Tidal. The Unthanks are well known within the folk scene but none of their albums were there. There’s a good selection on Spotify. I own the albums, so could spin the CD, but that’s not the point.

Rachel Sermanni – The album “Under Mountains” was on Spotify and Tidal, but this was Tidal’s only showing, whereas Spotify had her other albums too.

Benjamin Clementine – Cornerstone and Glorious You EP’s – Spotify and Tidal.

The Staves – Dead and Born and Grown – Spotify and Tidal.

Jazz / Latin:

Rosalia de Souza – l’Improvviso – Spotify and Tidal

Introducing Christian Scott – Spotify and Tidal

Blue Note Trip album series. A few albums were on Tidal (such as my favourite number 8), but number 2 (also a favourite) was only on Spotify.

Melanie de Biasio – No Deal. Spotify and Tidal.

Classical / OST’s

This showed up some odd things with the search facility on Tidal. Searching under Hans Zimmer for example showed up a large suite of albums, but no Inception OST. It was there if you searched under “Inception”, so if you’re looking for something in particular, you might need to be more of a sleuth than with Spotify which I’ve found almost as clever as Google search.

Searching for Rachmaninov showed some disappointing results initially, but searching under “Vladimir Ashkenazy” (one of my favour pianists of Rachmaninov’s concertos) showed a vast array of Rach’s works, so again the search facility isn’t quite as comprehensive as the actual catalogue.

And finally, probably the biggest negative so far with Tidal (other than it being double the price of Spotify premium):

NO GAPLESS PLAYBACK. Yes, I did just say that. I must look again, but I don’t remember seeing that anywhere in the reviews about Tidal. I noticed it first playing the Nitin Sawnhey track mentioned above. “Part 1” sets the scene for “Part 2” (unsurprisingly) and builds anticipation in readiness for the slam of part 2, but this anticipation is immediately deflated by……NOTHING for 2-3 seconds.

Not only is this a problem with the emotional peaks and troughs of joined tracks like this, but it’s a particular spoiler for classical music. This is a tad ironic considering that it’s classical that tends to benefit most from the larger soundstage and greater detail on offer with Tidal. It’s a real shame and might, for now at least discourage people from forking out the extra tenner a month. It’s also something Tidal might be able to fix in time, but at least you have been warned.

Summary

My first few hours listening has thrown up an unexpected reaction in me. Although I’m a real Spotify fan, I was quite prepared to jump ship to Tidal and I’m still tempted, but as a package, whether the differences justify the extra outlay depends on how you intend to use the service really.

If you mainly use Spotify as a music browsing service, I would say that it’s slicker quicker user interface and more comprehensive catalogue (for my musical tastes at least) makes it more successful at this task.

But if you intend to ditch your NAS and downloaded music and use this as your primary source, then the quality easily justifies this. I love the simplicity of streaming over the hassle of NAS drives, streamers, ripping and indexing et al. And although we’re talking about small gains in quality, it’s precisely those gains that seems to emotionally engage you with the music that much more. It’s the same premise as someone who’s prepared to pay £1500 for an amp that increases the perceived quality by 5% over a £750 amp. You know what I mean.

As for me, I’m going to give Tidal a month or two of listening before I decide either way. I’d love to have Spotify AND Tidal really – Spotify for searching out new artists and generating playlists for social occasions when I would much prefer gapless playback, but Tidal as my primary more focussed listening source. I can’t justify the cost of both services though, so I’ve got to figure out what I actually want from a streaming service before deciding. Maybe that’s the process you’ll need to go through too.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Leeps,

Thanks very much for such a great review of both services... must admit I'm a great advocate of Spotify and it would take a lot to sway me elsewhere.

BTW... with your taste in music, particularly acoustic singer/songwriter and some Jazz, I think you might find my blog useful

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Great review thanks for taking the time. As a 99.99% Spotify user read with great interest. But as I found with Qobuz only about 10% of the music I listen to was available alt folk. Mac's blog is well worth reading some stunning well all stunning music on there. Having just upgraded my source I get the last 10% emotion thing. Cheers

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Leeps,

Thanks very much for such a great review of both services... must admit I'm a great advocate of Spotify and it would take a lot to sway me elsewhere.

BTW... with your taste in music, particularly acoustic singer/songwriter and some Jazz, I think you might find my blog useful

Mac

Thanks for the link Mac, I'll take a look.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Leeps said:
Macspur said:
Hi Leeps,

Mac

Thanks for the link Mac, I'll take a look.

No probs... if you like the look of it, please feel free to sign up then you'll be able to click through links to access music and videos.

Mac

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
Is it me or are streaming services starting to sound more and more like laundry products?

I couldn't see myself purchasing a laundry product called "Spotify". Sounds a bit dodge if you ask me. And as for Tidal, it was either that or "WIMP" which clearly didn't get the green light with the UK marketing team. Wimp might mean something quite butch in Scandanavia, but not in the UK.

LordHill

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Great review and spot on conclusions.

I have now been trying Tidal for about 10 days and whilst it is a very good, intuitive interface, its not as good as Spotify in terms of searching and speed.

With both Spotify and Tidal apps open on my phone and then playing the same track via Airplay I could quickly switch between them and hear the same piece of music to compare (the volume level is maintained exactly). For me the SQ difference was very subtle and I would struggle to tell the difference if I was not comparing the same segments of music in quick succession.

However, when I played the same recording (from the same album) and the same sample/bit rate file from the NAS drive, it sounded better than the Tidal stream. Airplay would have been ALAC whereas the NAS was a FLAC but I dont know why the sound should be better from the NAS? The Airplay uses a Toslink to the Superuniti and the NAS drive is obviously a network cable - could that be the difference or is it more likely the file format? It might just be all in my head!

Anyway, as I already have a lot of music in higher res files on the NAS drive and several artists I searched for were not on Tidal (or maybe the search function was at fault), it's difficult for me to justify the extra expense.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As an avid Spotify user and liking the interface/engine I do wonder if spotify can upgrade lossless in the future to stay competitive or at least give the option?

Having said that, I don't have a problem with the premium service sound quality.

regards

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Tidal have given a 30 day free trial (instead of the standard 7 day offer) to all those who pre-registered interest their new service.

The deadline for signing up to that free trial ends today (the 4th Nov). However apart from BlueSound, none of the streaming devices from the other streaming equipment manufacturers that were promised to be on-board from day 1, have yet added support for Tidal.

That means the 30 day free trial is a complete waste of time for anyone who intended to use their streamer to try out Tidal.

The only option available is to use a PC or Mac, which may not be convenient for many people, who's computer is remote from their HiFi.

Even if using a PC/Mac, the lossless HiFi mode is only available through the Tidal Web Player via Chrome.

The desktop app for PC's doesn't support lossless HiFi mode.

If using IE or Safari, you are limited to the 320kbps High mode.

The desktop Web Player doesn't support AirPlay either. The desktop apps support AirPlay, but not lossless HiFi mode.

Further more, on Android, lossless HiFi mode is only supported on Lollipop (5.0) and the very last version of KitKat (4.4.4). On KitKat 4.4.3 and earlier, the service is limited to "Normal" or "High" (320kbps).

All in all, this means that many people who have been offered the 30 day free trial period, will not be able to try out the new service in lossless, which I strongly suspect is the prime reason, if not the only reason why they might want to.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
LordHill said:
....With both Spotify and Tidal apps open on my phone and then playing the same track via Airplay I could quickly switch between them and hear the same piece of music to compare (the volume level is maintained exactly). For me the SQ difference was very subtle and I would struggle to tell the difference if I was not comparing the same segments of music in quick succession.

However, when I played the same recording (from the same album) and the same sample/bit rate file from the NAS drive, it sounded better than the Tidal stream. Airplay would have been ALAC whereas the NAS was a FLAC but I dont know why the sound should be better from the NAS? .....

Are you sure you have been getting a lossless stream from Tidal via your phone?

Despite the multiple channels and means of receiving the Tidal service, there are only a few ways to get the lossless stream in FLAC or ALAC. Whatever quality you set in the app, you will only receive the highest bit rate supported.

Having gone through all the FAQ's on the Tidal web site and seeing all the limitations on obtaining the lossless stream, I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of people who've been trialing the service have been deluded into thinking they've been listening to lossless, when in fact all they heard was at 320kbps?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Tidal have given a 30 day free trial (instead of the standard 7 day offer) to all those who pre-registered interest their new service.

The deadline for signing up to that free trial ends today (the 4th Nov). However apart from BlueSound, none of the streaming devices from the other streaming equipment manufacturers that were promised to be on-board from day 1, have yet added support for Tidal.

That means the 30 day free trial is a complete waste of time for anyone who intended to use their streamer to try out Tidal.

The only option available is to use a PC or Mac, which may not be convenient for many people, who's computer is remote from their HiFi.

Even if using a PC/Mac, the lossless HiFi mode is only available through the Tidal Web Player via Chrome.

The desktop app for PC's doesn't support lossless HiFi mode.

If using IE or Safari, you are limited to the 320kbps High mode.

The desktop Web Player doesn't support AirPlay either. The desktop apps support AirPlay, but not lossless HiFi mode.

Further more, on Android, lossless HiFi mode is only supported on Lollipop (5.0) and the very last version of KitKat (4.4.4). On KitKat 4.4.3 and earlier, the service is limited to "Normal" or "High" (320kbps).

All in all, this means that many people who have been offered the 30 day free trial period, will not be able to try out the new service in lossless, which I strongly suspect is the prime reason, if not the only reason why they might want to.

I quite agree about the trial period etc. In fact I will go somewhat further. I was going to do the trial just to compare the difference between Deezer and Trial but when I found out it was one that takes your credit card details and only 7 days I did not bother, since then I had numerous emails from them. I really cant understand them, I would have thought they would want as many people as possible to try their service. Spotify give 6 months free? Deezer 1 year. Now you say you can't even play at cd res unless you use Chrome.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If not spotify who else?I could imagine it is possible we can expect highres streams from spotify too in future if there a more paying members.

I love spotify for the convenient use and exploring new stuff,like the style.SQ is also ok for me,c´mon a 10ner monthly,i have spend for much more useless stuff like Marlboro. BTW,who is Taylor Swift?

LordHill

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Tidal was set up for lossless and also indicated the stream as "HiFi" when being played. I Have tried a few other tracks today and def better sound from FLAC via NAS. I can live without Tidal but not Spotify.

Les anderson

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Good review but I do question the comments on sound quality. AirPlay compresses everything down to 320 kbps. Even if Tidals raw 1400 Kbps stream had an audible improvement over Spotify extreme at 320 Kbps, you would think it would be lost on the ride from the iPad to the AVR via AirPlay.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Les anderson said:
Good review but I do question the comments on sound quality. AirPlay compresses everything down to 320 kbps. Even if Tidals raw 1400 Kbps stream had an audible improvement over Spotify extreme at 320 Kbps, you would think it would be lost on the ride from the iPad to the AVR via AirPlay.

My understanding is that Airplay streams at (up to) 16 bit 48khz, so can transmit at CD quality and is quite capable of making the best of the Tidal format. Bear in mind that Airplay as a format was designed to be able to stream video and music, so music-only streaming isn't demanding too much of it. I have to say I never intended on using Airplay as predominantly as I have as my expectations were pretty low, considering the traditional wisdom that wireless has got to be worse than a wired connection.

But it's proved to be much better than expected. Strangely playing Birdy's debut album from Tidal on Airplay sounded tighter (in a good way) than my CD version of the same album. The same trait of a larger soundstage and just more of an impact than the CD seems to be evident. I can't explain why this is so. Maybe it's about the way the iPad converts the files before transfer, or the way the receiver handles CD (via HDMI) vs Airplay. Whatever, I continue to be impressed by the SQ of Tidal.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've stopped using Spotify few months back. Some new album came out that I have now and I've just checked these on Spotify web player and non of these are there.. not only albums but artists too.. In contrary to popular practise saying people discover new music via Spotify I've been Spotify user for just over a year and it was a year when I discovered less then ever before.. it was more a refresh of what I already knew.. so discovery mode wasn't working for me.. give me a selection of 100 milion tracks and maybe I'm back.. maybe:)

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I am more interested in sound quality and using macbook to dac tidal does sound better than spotify, saying that it was close, but tidal was clearer and more defined than spotify.

The one downside for me is lack of content on TIDAL but i am hoping this will just be because it's new, search led zep & acdc for instance.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
I am more interested in sound quality and using macbook to dac tidal does sound better than spotify, saying that it was close, but tidal was clearer and more defined than spotify.

How were you listening via the MacBook?

Through the web player? If so were you using Safari?

...or through the Desktop app?

Interestingly Tidal say in their FAQ's, that the "HiFi" stream (1411kbps CD quality) is currently only available via the web player in Chrome.

It isn't available yet in Safari or Internet Explorer using the web player, nor is it available through the desktop apps.

The HiFi setting is still possible, but the stream is apparently at 320kbps.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
where have you seen that? we've been told lossless works fine on the desktop app. you're right about only chrome for the web player, though.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
where have you seen that? we've been told lossless works fine on the desktop app. you're right about only chrome for the web player, though.

It's in the FAQ's, Joe.

You can also use our Web Player on PC/MAC: http://listen.tidalhifi.com/ - HiFi is only available in Google Chrome.

To be able to stream HiFi you must use the Web Player. (HiFi mode will not work through the desktop app, only High & Normal mode)

I haven't downloaded the desktop app to check this and have only been using Tidal via BluOs in lossless FLAC and the Web Player in 320kbps AAC..

The Web player definately won't let you select HiFi mode in Safari.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
lpv said:
Looks like Leeps been comparing Tidal 320 mp3 with Spotify 320 Ogg Vorbis then...

Reading comments on other forums, it's clear quite a few have unwittingly been doing that, but Leeps mentions streaming from an iPad via Airplay, which seems to be OK for the HiFi stream.

The iOS iPad app allows the HiFi setting and there's no mention of any limitation via iOS on the Tidal website. So on the face of it, that method should be OK.

I'll probably try the iPad to ATV method myself later on, although I don't actually need it as I have the lossless stream through my BluOS streamer.

While Airplay from an iOS device seems to be OK, for the moment streaming Tidal via Airplay from a Mac/PC, isn't supporing the HiFi stream.

TRENDING THREADS