Philips 40 PFL 9705 What Hi-fi review ???

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Not my words but a user on a forum:

"Philips Netherlands has stated they delivered a series of 3d glasses and transmitters which aren't working properly and need to be replaced with a new set and then 3D should be working ok.

Perhaps a phone call to the helpdesk with the serialnumber will be of help to the people with 3D probs.

( I personally think this is rubbish but I am just passing on the info of Philips in my home country)"

I wont link as its against the rules but hopefully this is the case with the bad reviews its been getting elsewhere and I can now get mine sorted to!

Would be nice to get official UK word?

But its good to see I'm not the only one with the problem and other users in different countries are having the same issue!

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Cibie:
Not my words but a user on a forum:

"Philips Netherlands has stated they delivered a series of 3d glasses and transmitters which aren't working properly and need to be replaced with a new set and then 3D should be working ok.

Perhaps a phone call to the helpdesk with the serialnumber will be of help to the people with 3D probs.

( I personally think this is bullsh..... but I am just passing on the info of Philips in my home country)"

I wont link as its against the rules but hopefully this is the case with the bad reviews its been getting elsewhere and I can now get mine sorted to!

Would be nice to get official UK word?

But its good to see I'm not the only one with the problem and other users in different countries are having the same issue!

Please keep us informed so we know whether to follow the same path. i spoke (on line) with someone at Philips (UK) two days ago and there was no knowledge of any issues reported yet. I am trying the 3D capability on mine over the weekend and am slightly unsure what to expect.

thank you

A

Anonymous

i still find the whole 3D thing odd as i have had a demo on the 8000 and 9000 series using the philips demo footage and it was by far the best 3D i have seen to date. If you have seen the footage of the planes the fighter jet at the end pokes your eyes out :)

A

Anonymous

jcshutts:
Please keep us informed so we know whether to follow the same path. i spoke (on line) with someone at Philips (UK) two days ago and there was no knowledge of any issues reported yet. I am trying the 3D capability on mine over the weekend and am slightly unsure what to expect.

thank you

Seems as if one user has had his glasses replaced by philips and it did not sort this issue out:

his is indeed nonsense ;-) they said that to me aswell, so they delivered new glasses and new software (okt 5th firmware) and i still have the same problem so the problem isn't in the glasses at al... i'll paste a part of the e-mail the service company sent to me, it's in dutch though so i'll give a summary afterwards

Quote:Beste,

Wij hebben de klacht kunnen simuleren en aantal testen uitgevoerd.
Dit wordt momenteel verder onderzocht door Philips en zodra hier resultaat van gekend is zullen we contact met u opnemen.

Wij verwachten op korte termijn een oplossing, helaas kunnen we geen datum plakken op deze termijn.
it says that they acknowledge the problem and they've simulated it and sent their findings to philips, at the end they say they expect a solution soon...

I was getting my hopes up aswell! I hope philips get to the bottom of this soon let us know how you get on with your 3D pack JCSHUTTS ....

Cibie

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Cibie

re:

I was getting my hopes up aswell! I hope philips get to the bottom of this soon let us know how you get on with your 3D pack JCSHUTTS ....

I will be setting up the 'test in the morning. I will be testing the 3D film 'Cloudy with a chance of Meat Balls!' It's animated so probably not the best source material as I assume animation can provide a false sense of the tv's capability? However, there still aren't many films out there.

I expect this is a stupid question but will I know what 'good' looks like and what faults I should be looking for? Or will it be obvious!

A

Anonymous

jcshutts:

I expect this is a stupid question but will I know what 'good' looks like and what faults I should be looking for? Or will it be obvious!

Good 3D:

Some guys have seen philips demos on there show stands and explain there 3D is fantastic better then all LCD's that day and close to panasonic quality, philips did show there own 3D demo video though with there own top of the range 9000 series player.

Bad 3D main issues so far have been:

Major crosstalk like your watching the TV without the glasses but there on your face

Double/blurry images in background ( causing headaches with some people)

Partly 3D in the middle then cross talk in peripheral (outer edge)

720P PS3 3D Games fail to function (option grayed out for 3D on PS3 in games) as 9705 only detects 1080 3D format (handshake issue)

Sky 3D Major crosstalk

PS3 Bluray 3D movie crosstalk especially bad with your film (cloudy with chance of meatballs)

I hope you get a perfect result with yours will be glad to hear from you if this is the case, least then we know its not with all sets.

Thanks

Cibie

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
just one or two issues then! that makes me sigh. Like you I suspect, I waited months and months and months to make the right decision as to what tv to buy. I hope I get a perfect picture

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
well, sad to say my experience was not one worth remembering. The film looked better watching it in 3D without the glasses on, as a 2D film. It just didn't work at all - not even slightly. Very, very, very disappointed. This TV is not 3D ready - in my opinion.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps a naive question, but is it established yet where the problem lies? Is it in the TV set itself or the additional thingies that have to be bought for 3D. If the latter is it reasonable to think that it will be fixed in the fullness of time. I'm blowed if I know what to buy. I read in the 2010 Awards that the Premium 40" winner, Samsung, has some crossover issues.

A

Anonymous

(screams!!!!!!!!)

Gutted to hear your 3D isn't upto the job ether jcshutts what blu-ray player was you using? did the TV upgrade fine from the USB stick?

Miker:

We don't know philips don,t have answers really! they have toke one customers PS3 back to a service center to test with his TV so hopefully hear something from that!

The vauge things so far is its some early sets of glasses that are faulty but one user got his new set of philips and still had the same issue, Others are putting it down to bad firmware on the USB stick to upgrade the tv because it don't autorun properly.

One thing that did happen is firmware .140 did make a slight improvement from awful 3D to very poor 3D kinda 3D in the middle but loads of crosstalk around the edge.

Hopefully we'll get an answers in the meantime fingers crossed!

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I used a fairly inexpensive blu-ray from Sony. I borrowed it, can't remember the model - £200 retail - it did quite well in recent reviews so I believe. I wanted to test a standard 3D player as a measure of the tv's capability.

I observed very blurred periphery vision, I experienced the ghosting that people refer to and there was just no depth (or 3D) to most of the film. It just didn't perform; not even a little bit! The glasses were uncomfortable and I couldn't turn them off!

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The only good bit is the firmware went without any snags and the tv actually wasn't difficult to switch from 3d to 2d if I wanted to (which I did want to on numerous occasions).

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Is 3D really worth all this hassle people are experiencing? As it is manufacturers seem to be struggling to make a set with performance to match the Kuro's of a couple of years ago - now they're putting all their efforts into 3D, which is basically a gimmick until it can be reliably done without the need for (expensive) glasses.

The vast majority of TV watching will still be "standard" programming and many get headaches etc with 3D anyway. I think it's the worst development in TV for years - lets get as much standard viewing available in HD to suit the big screens we're all buying before clogging up all the bandwidth with this (arguable) rubbish!

A

Anonymous

SOSAGES: i still find the whole 3D thing odd as i have had a demo on the 8000 and 9000 series using the philips demo footage and it was by far the best 3D i have seen to date. If you have seen the footage of the planes the fighter jet at the end pokes your eyes out :)

Totally agree. I watched the same demonstration disc with the missus last weekend and came away very impressed with the 3D from the 9000 series.

A

Anonymous

AEJim:
Is 3D really worth all this hassle people are experiencing? As it is manufacturers seem to be struggling to make a set with performance to match the Kuro's of a couple of years ago - now they're putting all their efforts into 3D, which is basically a gimmick until it can be reliably done without the need for (expensive) glasses.

The vast majority of TV watching will still be "standard" programming and many get headaches etc with 3D anyway. I think it's the worst development in TV for years - lets get as much standard viewing available in HD to suit the big screens we're all buying before clogging up all the bandwidth with this (arguable) rubbish!
from our point of view, ie consumers, i agree, but from their point of view, 3d is a goldmine..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:im guessing you mean sony andrew?

Guess all you like: several major consumer electronics companies are heavily reliant on 3D to give their sales and profitability a much-needed boost...

A

Anonymous

i guessed sony because samsung, lg, panasonic and philips seem to be doing well iirc..

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:i guessed sony because samsung, lg, panasonic and philips seem to be doing well iirc..

What is iirc Max?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

gel:
maxflinn:i guessed sony because samsung, lg, panasonic and philips seem to be doing well iirc..

What is iirc Max?

Cheers.
irish international reviewing chief
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Once a review is done it would be useful to comment whether it would have won the 2010 award but for the delay in arrival. Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:gel, it means.. if i recall correctly
emotion-21.gif

Ah cheers
emotion-21.gif

If they are doing well financially it certainly does the show in the quality of there tvs.

A

Anonymous

Miker:Agreed. It would be helpful to know how the 9705 measures up against the 9704 and the Samsung 8000 for 2D content.

Would also be interesting how 9705 measures on HD material compared with the 7605 ( since the 7605 is the "highest-end" model with matte screen this year, if you want matte screen ).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts