Philips 40 PFL 9705 What Hi-fi review ???

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Actually, I think it's sold/marketed as a '3D ready' TV, with the transmitter and glasses available as an optional extra for those wanting the 3D capability.
there's still a price to pay for it being 3d ready though andrew, look at the sony and samsung edge lit non 3d led sets, they are much cheaper than models that differ only by being 3d ready, that still require glasses in the case of samsungs and glasses and transmitter with the sonys..

anyway, ive not read an actual review of said philips yet, i dont think there are any, in english at least, so its all speculation, i personally dont see why philips can't implement 3d properly while the rest can? i guess we will see in time..

A

Anonymous

Thats all very well being "3D READY" but many users brought this TV way in advance of the 3D PTA02 pack becoming available to the retailer's! so basically the only way you could discover the 3D was upto the job was buying the 3D Pack for £240 that's designed for the 9705/8605 then discover the PS3 3D handshake problems and major crosstalk issues, by then your over your return policy!

Philips advises on its own website the PT02/00 kit:

3D Source device: 3D capable BluRay player, or 3D capable Game Console, or 3D capable Set-top box

3D set top box = SKY 3D major cross talk like having glasses off your face.

3D games console = PS3 Games in 3D refuse to handshake because limited to 720p Philips only supports 1080p 3d input. crosstalk in movies from PS3.

3D Bluray= Yes if you buy there top of the range player at £500 that Philips advise from support.

3D READY means as much as HD READY to me only HD READY tv's actualy worked when your connected a HD source were as Philips is not playing ball with 3D.

Call it speculation but if you venture off this site theres reviews talking about crosstalk and forums full of 3D issues!

A

Anonymous

it does not matter what other forums say this site only deals in facts of its users and workforce so probably best we stop talking about other forums again :)

I am in two minds still about the 9705 - 3D for me is not important but nice to have if spending the money.

The let down for me with the Philips is its web based content for the UK, i know they said iPlayer would be coming but nothing worse than having 0 communication from a company about whats coming up and when.

I will wait a while before spending the money i have my eye on the new Toshiba regza (i happened to get a sneak peak at this) and also have a feeling i may go for the panny 3D plasma. But i am in no rush i can see my self coming back from CES next year and thinking "hmmm i will wait" :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
SOSAGES:But i am in no rush i can see my self coming back from CES next year and thinking "hmmm i will wait" :)

I thought CES was only a trade show? Something you're not telling us, SOSAGES? May I draw your attention to House Rule 9?

'9) Manufacturers, retailers, service providers and their staff are required to identify themselves as such in their signature. Any additional information - such as the telephone number, email and website address of the company - should be put in the user's profile, where retailers must also list all the brands they stock. 'Trade' members of the forum failing to meet these conditions will be removed, as will those the moderators suspect to be trade members posting under an alias.'

At the moment, given this and some of your previous comments, this moderator is beginning to feel inclined to invoke the final sentence of that rule.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:
Andrew Everard:Actually, I think it's sold/marketed as a '3D ready' TV, with the transmitter and glasses available as an optional extra for those wanting the 3D capability.
there's still a price to pay for it being 3d ready though andrew, look at the sony and samsung edge lit non 3d led sets, they are much cheaper than models that differ only by being 3d ready, that still require glasses in the case of samsungs and glasses and transmitter with the sonys..

anyway, ive not read an actual review of said philips yet, i dont think there are any, in english at least, so its all speculation, i personally dont see why philips can't implement 3d properly while the rest can? i guess we will see in time..

Not entirely true, as far as I was aware they both only offer 200Hz options on 3d sets (LED anyway) and they both offer the regional dimming on such sets, which isn't offered on standard 2d sets.

A

Anonymous

I am in two minds still about the 9705 - 3D for me is not important but nice to have if spending the money.

Personally I dont think its worth it - considering that Toshaba has announced a 3D TV wihtout glasses later this year - this 9705 is outdated already when you open the box.

A 40PFL7605 at a price of 835 Euro is worth considering - on HD material you will not be able to tell the difference anyway - SD the differece is so small that its simply dosnt justify the price difference - plus the 7000 got matte screen ---> clear TV viewing under all conditions. Overall a better buy in my best opinion. Use rest of the money on turning what you see into HD - HD on a 7605 is far better than SD on any TV set ever produced.

A

Anonymous

PeterHerz:

Personally I dont think its worth it - considering that Toshaba has announced a 3D TV wihtout glasses later this year - this 9705 is outdated already when you open the box.

A 40PFL7605 at a price of 835 Euro is worth considering - on HD material you will not be able to tell the difference anyway - SD the differece is so small that its simply dosnt justify the price difference - plus the 7000 got matte screen ---> clear TV viewing under all conditions. Overall a better buy in my best opinion. Use rest of the money on turning what you see into HD - HD on a 7605 is far better than SD on any TV set ever produced.

I seriously don't think you know what a 9705 is like and I'm unsure what you on with? the 9705 is matte so whats with the tv viewing under all conditions? and did you care to look at the spec sheet on the 9705? I'm sorry but I cant take your serious if you think you can't notice a difference between a 9705/7605 have you had your eyes checked? theres wifi,400hz,0.5ms,dimming,3 sided amibilight and proper sound etc....

The only local led TV out there with local led dimming is one toshiba sv865 with 77 local zones and the SonyHX903! other than that Philips 9705 with the only TV to have nearly 250 2D segmented zones all them local led TV's still come in at £2000 to £2500.

The Toshiba glassless TV still users a lenticular lens and there is no time frame when it comes to market as its still to expensive and the effect is lost if your not looking head on!

So I'll be surprised to see this in the next 3yrs what we have now is 3D with glasses that should work! no matter whats upcoming, yes things move on and outdated but it should work out the BOX like anything you buy whether YOU think its dated or NOT.....

I'm sick of hearing excuses!

A

Anonymous

Cibie:PeterHerz:

I seriously don't think you know what a 9705 is like and I'm unsure what you on with? the 9705 is matte so whats with the tv viewing under all conditions? and did you care to look at the spec sheet on the 9705? I'm sorry but I cant take your serious if you think you can't notice a difference between a 9705/7605 have you had your eyes checked? theres wifi,400hz,0.5ms,dimming,3 sided amibilight and proper sound etc....

The only local led TV out there with local led dimming is one toshiba sv865 with 77 local zones and the SonyHX903! other than that Philips 9705 with the only TV to have nearly 250 2D segmented zones all them local led TV's still come in at £2000 to £2500.

The Toshiba glassless TV still users a lenticular lens and there is no time frame when it comes to market as its still to expensive and the effect is lost if your not looking head on!

So I'll be surprised to see this in the next 3yrs what we have now is 3D with glasses that should work! no matter whats upcoming, yes things move on and outdated but it should work out the BOX like anything you buy whether YOU think its dated or NOT.....

I'm sick of hearing excuses!
not so, there's the lg47le8900, full rear led set with local dimming, it gets excellent reviews, the black levels are very deep, on a par with some of the best plasmas out there, and its only £1250 here..

A

Anonymous

Hmmm looks good but glossy! 200hz? judder? weak sound? no ambilight? no 40" model? ill take the 9705 :) I don't like LG tvs I dunno why they always seem a cheap brand like alba or goodmans. I mean look at the price theres got to be a reason its that cheap does it last longer than a year? old panels they cant shift?

Thanks anyway hopefully this 3D issue gets resolved!

A

Anonymous

D3CYPH3R:maxflinn:

Not entirely true, as far as I was aware they both only offer 200Hz options on 3d sets (LED anyway) and they both offer the regional dimming on such sets, which isn't offered on standard 2d sets.

there are some sony edge led sets that have 200hz, like the hx703 and they are much cheaper than the 3d ready ones..

not sure about "regional dimming" i thought only the hx903 had that?

to be honest i cant be bothered googling to be certain, there's just so many different models out there , but im pretty sure there is a price to pay for a set being 3d ready, over and above the 3d add ons..

A

Anonymous

Both the 7000 and 9000 have Sharps new UV2A panel, with same improved panel speed - 5000:1 in native contrast, 0.04 backlevel without local dimming. Even some of the 5000 models have the UV2A, also with 5000:1 on native contrast and 0.04 on black level - what more do you want ?

My point was - if one today dont have most of the channels in HD, you can as well save the money and to go for a 5000/7000, and pay a little more to get all channels in HD. There is a huge difference between Eurosport in SD and HD.

A

Anonymous

5605 series:

Sharp UV2A (8bit), Direct LED (No local dimming)

7605 series:

Sharp UV2A (8bit), Edge LED 500,000:1 Contrast,2ms,100hz,14bit RGB 4 trillion colours

8605 series:

Sharp UV2A (8bit), Edge LED 500,000:1 Contrast,1ms,200hz,17bit RGB 2250 trillion colours

9705 series:

Sharp UV2A (10bit), Direct LED with Local Dimming [Bright Pro: 1,000 cd/m2] 10,000,000:1 Contrast,0.5ms,400hz,17bit RGB 2250 trillion colours

So theres a bit of difference! and then theres wifi,3 sided ambilight and decent sound in the 9705! if I wanted a cheaper tv I'd go for the 8605 but its reflective no wifi or 3 sided ambilight! I wish they would do away with glass fronts!

A

Anonymous

Ofcause there is a difference - if you look at the specs - but there is more between heaven and earth - they have to justify the price differences - but realy - can you see the difference on HD on daily basis ? 4 trillion or 2250 trillion colors, is there a visible difference - this is highly theortical figures. The 200Hz system you turn off anyway - local dimming too. In terms of msecs, Its the panels technology which determins the speed - and they are all using the same panel technology, thus same speed. The 5000 got top rating on input lag for gaiming. Regarding contrast, the human eye goes up to 3-4.000 due to the fundamental physics of the human eye, all above around 4.000 is lost. The major difference is the two side ambilight on 7000 - and none on the 5000. This is just my opinion.

A

Anonymous

PeterHerz:Ofcause there is a difference - if you look at the specs - but there is more between heaven and earth - they have to justify the price differences - but realy - can you see the difference on HD on daily basis ? 4 trillion or 2250 trillion colors, is there a visible difference - this is highly theortical figures. The 200Hz system you turn off anyway - local dimming too. In terms of msecs, Its the panels technology which determins the speed - and they are all using the same panel technology, thus same speed. The 5000 got top rating on input lag for gaiming. Regarding contrast, the human eye goes up to 3-4.000 due to the fundamental physics of the human eye, all above around 4.000 is lost. The major difference is the two side ambilight on 7000 - and none on the 5000. This is just my opinion.

are you talking about the difference between the 9705 and the edge lit philips 7 series??

if so the main differences are the black levels, which should be way better on the 9705, aswell as better shadow detail, a more powerful processor, a more dynamic picture with a much higher contrast ratio helped by local dimming and the rear led backlighting, more dynamic in dark scenes, i would say the 9705 will be clearly better in terms of picture quality..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ah, the voice of experience again
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

do you mean me clare? i havn't seen either, but im pretty sure the top of the range philips will have a superior picture to a mid range set? as the specs suggest.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

SOSAGES:But i am in no rush i can see my self coming back from CES next year and thinking "hmmm i will wait" :)

I thought CES was only a trade show? Something you're not telling us, SOSAGES? May I draw your attention to House Rule 9?

do u think anyone that writes as bad as me could get a proper job? :) i just happen to know people who want me to go to CES so im probably going, for some reason they value my insight ...(i have no idea either). If i did work in the trade id have a nice new Philips TV by now for "cheap" i hope!

A

Anonymous

maxflinn
Your right maxflinn, Yes far far better then a mid range set! Sit one on your desk clare try it ;) you may discover also the 3D is not upto much, do you want a hand moving your paper work out the way to try it?

Does one feel that the replys are a bit ..... sarcastic
emotion-40.gif

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:D3CYPH3R:maxflinn:

there are some sony edge led sets that have 200hz, like the hx703 and they are much cheaper than the 3d ready ones..

to be honest i cant be bothered googling to be certain, there's just so many different models out there , but im pretty sure there is a price to pay for a set being 3d ready, over and above the 3d add ons..

the HX703 is CCFL not LED. And according to the Sony website the HX803 does localised dimming via edge. As we are talking about Sony atm the EX713 100Hz LED set is retailing for about £1099, where as the HX803 200Hz and localised dimming (If the website is right) is going for £1299 so I'd say you aren't really paying for the "3d ready" feature.

A

Anonymous

D3CYPH3R:maxflinn:D3CYPH3R:maxflinn:

the HX703 is CCFL not LED. And according to the Sony website the HX803 does localised dimming via edge. As we are talking about Sony atm the EX703 100Hz LED set is retailing for about £1099, where as the HX803 200Hz and localised dimming (If the website is right) is going for £1299 so I'd say you aren't really paying for the "3d ready" feature.
ah, i didnt realise it wasnt led
emotion-10.gif
, or that the prices were that close, they must have come down quite a bit lately as there was a big difference..

A

Anonymous

Cibie:maxflinn
Your right maxflinn, Yes far far better then a mid range set! Sit one on your desk clare try it ;) you may discover also the 3D is not upto much, do you want a hand moving your paper work out the way to try it?

emotion-40.gif

Please note we talk about HD here - there is ( as I see it ) not a "far better" difference on HD between a midrange and highend, see for you self.

My point was, still, that you get a far better picture on a midrange watching HD material, than on a top model showing the same program in SD - better use the money on turning all you se into HD, than throwing a fortune after a TV set watching all/most in SD. Why is it some talk about picture quality, and at the same time talk about how great it looks with their DVD movies ?

Replace all your DVDïs with bluray, get a nice bluray player, subscribe to HD channels instead of SD channels - and use the rest on a midrange TV set, ( unless your present TV handles HD well already) - or unless you have very deep pockets going full in with a highe end TV set.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
SOSAGES:do u think anyone that writes as bad as me could get a proper job? :) i just happen to know people who want me to go to CES so im probably going, for some reason they value my insight ...(i have no idea either). If i did work in the trade id have a nice new Philips TV by now for "cheap" i hope!

Hmmm...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cibie:Your right maxflinn, Yes far far better then a mid range set! Sit one on your desk clare try it ;) you may discover also the 3D is not upto much, do you want a hand moving your paper work out the way to try it?
emotion-40.gif

Ah, I love the sound of a poster skating on thin ice in the morning...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:do you mean me clare? i havn't seen either, but im pretty sure the top of the range philips will have a superior picture to a mid range set? as the specs suggest.

Yes, I mean you, Max - we've been here before with your 'certainties' about products you've never seen - it's not helpful!

Once again, can we PLEASE try and keep this thread to facts, not speculation.

We've got the 9705 in - along with other Philips models. We're testing them for both 2D and 3D performance, comparing them - as always - against rivals. Results will appear in the issue on sale November 11th.

If we hear anything else from Philips on the 3D issue before (or after) then, we will - of course - report it here.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
maxflinn:do you mean me clare? i havn't seen either, but im pretty sure the top of the range philips will have a superior picture to a mid range set? as the specs suggest.

Yes, I mean you, Max - we've been here before with your 'certainties' about products you've never seen - it's not helpful!

Once again, can we PLEASE try and keep this thread to facts, not speculation.

We've got the 9705 in - along with other Philips models. We're testing them for both 2D and 3D performance, comparing them - as always - against rivals. Results will appear in the issue on sale November 11th.

If we hear anything else from Philips on the 3D issue before (or after) then, we will - of course - report it here.

ok boss
emotion-3.gif
, it was just my opinion, anyways, im out of this thread
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts