Philips 40 PFL 9705 What Hi-fi review ???

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

PeterHerz:
Miker:Agreed. It would be helpful to know how the 9705 measures up against the 9704 and the Samsung 8000 for 2D content.

Would also be interesting how 9705 measures on HD material compared with the 7605 ( since the 7605 is the "highest-end" model with matte screen this year, if you want matte screen ).

The 7605 isn't the highest end model with a matte screen! I wish you STOP giving out false information the 9705 is MATTE ALSO! go see one!

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
How is this for logic? The 9704 was considered to give a better 2D picture than the Samsung C7000. I've read somewhere that the C7000 picure is as good as the C8000. If that is true and the 9705 is at least as good as the 9704, then it should be better than the 2010 Award winner, the Samsung C8000. Or am I just trying to talk myself into forking out large sums of money for the 9705, instead of buying the C8000?

A

Anonymous

I am calm, I have mentioned this TV is matte many time's on the forum and he still tells people its not I'm trying to drill the point across...

_DSC2667.jpg

A

Anonymous

Saw it today in a shop and pretty sure it's matt.

Why do people try to use logic to determine the test result? We have seen in the past that this kind of logic is often flawed and can't really be applied to something as subjective and complex as a tv test...

Just wait for the review instead of speculating results based on speculated uinverfiable facts...?

D

Deleted member 2457

I got to see this one the 40pfl9705 in John Lewis, i prefer the finish compared to the 9704 one, picture wise it was hard to tell to be honest, i did notice abit of picture noise on normal pictures but not of the buzzing kind - little joke there Andrew and Max will get it
emotion-1.gif

Um i would say it does not look like a premium product and if you are about to spend £1800 on it to demo very carefully.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Probably he mean its not glossy, which is true - but matte not - I would rather call it a reflective screen with a coating. The black speaker reflects almost too perfectly. This is realy dissapointing news, after waiting 12 months for the new 21:9 I realy dont know what to do - case is not yet entialy closed thow ...

A

Anonymous

The 9705 is not the best anti-reflective screen when off and a sunny window hitting the screen reflection is much less noticed than the 8605 and you cant see yourself in it head on, it very good at dispersing glare.
Its about on par with a macbook pro antiglare option on there computers so it really helps deal with the light reflection, I think pictures tend to make the glare look worse than it really is and users over hype the issue!

I'm sure the review will confirm the screen is good at lowering reflections under normal viewing and i'd say its more matte than glossy dare i'd say satin? Certainly better than most glossy TV's.

The picture below shows a strip of sunlight on the TV from a window on a 9705 and deals with it fine:

202671d1284996445-philips-2010-8605-9705-3d-ready-led-tv-series-part-2-img_0861.jpg

Hope this helps you with buying this TV or not.

Cibie

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cibie: The picture below shows a strip of sunlight on the TV from a window on a 9705 and deals with it fine
What, you mean apart from the stripe straight down the screen?

A

Anonymous

That strip of light andrew would be full on killing your eyesight on the 8605 as its like a mirror, I think the 9705 does pretty well to disperse sunlight from a window I don't think any matte TV could completely block it!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cibie:That strip of light andrew would be full on killing your eyesight on the 8605 as its like a mirror

You see, if you overstress a point you turn it into a nonsense, and undermine whatever it is you're trying to say over and over again, to the extent of attacking other users.

It would not be killing your eyesight - such a statement is clearly ridiculous and irresponsible.

A

Anonymous

The strip of light is not a reflection but a light strip hitting the screen - a reflection is when you see the object in the screen, the in-angle is equal to the out-angle to your eyes.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
PeterHerz:The strip of light is not a reflection but a light strip hitting the screen - a reflection is when you see the object in the screen, the in-angle is equal to the out-angle to your eyes.

So now we are going to redefine what is meant by reflection? How is that light even visible, if not by reflection?

Coming up: it's not an echo unless it involves a voice saying 'Hellohellohello'. Or yodelling.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
PeterHerz:The strip of light is not a reflection but a light strip hitting the screen - a reflection is when you see the object in the screen, the in-angle is equal to the out-angle to your eyes.

So now we are going to redefine what is meant by reflection? How is that light even visible, if not by reflection?

Coming up: it's not an echo unless it involves a voice saying 'Hellohellohello'. Or yodelling.

Well yes in its fundamental physics, why we can see an oject is because its emits light - the light hitting an object will fundamentally be reflected in all directions, which is why we can see the light strip on the picture, beeing reflected in all directions - if you move to the left till the angle of the incomming light strip equals your eyes angle you will get a sound reflection - in this talk we have here, we talk about reflections which are in your eyes angle.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
PeterHerz:if you move to the left till the angle of the incomming light strip equals your eyes angle you will get a sound reflection.

No, I'm afraid all that is just descending into nonsense - there's no connection between light and sound reflections.

PeterHerz:in this talk we have here, we talk about reflections
which are in your eyes angle.

Sorry, wasn't aware we were doing some different kind of language.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
This statement just in from Philips regarding the 46in 9705:

"Philips has identified an issue with a limited number of early supplies of its 46" 9705 LED TVs produced between week 32 and week 37 of this year which has caused some consumers to be dissatisfied with the 3D performance of their TVs. This can be identified by the last 4 digits of the serial number 1032-1037.

"Our investigations have identified two issues that may cause this dissatisfaction. The first is related to an early version of software within the LCD panel of the 46" 9705 TV. The second is related to the performance with certain formats of 3D picture content.

"We have implemented a software solution which will address the majority of consumer complaints about the 3D performance of the TV. The software upgrade is available to download by consumers from the Philips Consumer Support website (http://www.p4c.philips.com).

"Should consumers own a 46" 9705 TV and upgrading the software does not improve the 3D experience sufficiently, consumers are advised to contact Philips Consumer Care directly.(Tel 0800 331 6015).

Philips would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to consumers."

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Umm that didn't work for me. I have loaded the new firmware. I have one of the identified TV's. There was no improvement. I spoke to Customer Services and they offered no solution other than to speak to the retailer for my money back or a replacement. The retailer have no models in stock, not sure when they will get one and won't give me a refund without the box!

I have asked for a customer services supervisor from Philips to call me in the morning.

EDITED BY MODS - no trading, please

A

Anonymous

I wonder if they think the already released firmware solved all the issues? Most up to date firmware is Version: 000.140.011.000, Date published: 2010-10-05 and that does not mention 3D.

Hopefully they are talking about some yet unreleased f/w upgrade.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
agree the firmware upgrade I can find is the 2010-10-05 which I have installed and it made no difference. I am waiting a call in the morning from Customer Services supervisor but I don't hold out much hope!

A

Anonymous

OK I understand that the 9705 has 3D issues with the PS3.

Do you think that is going to have the same issues with a proper 3D BD player like SONY S770 for example using a proper HDMI 1.4?

A

Anonymous

Check out this page:

Or rather don't, since it breaks House Rules

Its a german site that uses a S570 sony BD player with an 8605 philips 3D tv.

I dont speak german but it seems that the 3D part worked fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts