What Hi-Fi, Kef Q-300 review...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It amazes me that every year there is the greatest new gear coming out that so much better than last years. So after not looking at hifi for 20 years its shocking that hardly anything has changed, hifi mags are all about promoting new hifi and and getting advertising to make money. No surprise there are so many 5 stars ratings.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
It amazes me that every year there is the greatest new gear coming out that so much better than last years. So after not looking at hifi for 20 years its shocking that hardly anything has changed, hifi mags are all about promoting new hifi and and getting advertising to make money. No surprise there are so many 5 stars ratings.

I'd suggest not treating the star ratings as absolute values, but as relative ones. I understand and sympathize with your view that hi-fi magazines are bound into the production cycles of their advertisers. But it still seems to me useful to read the comparisons between different manufacturers (which is why round-up reviews such as the recent DAC round-up are interesting) ... unless of course you think hi-fi magazines give preferential treatment to the companies that advertise in them.

Matt

matt49 said:
BigH said:

I'd suggest not treating the star ratings as absolute values, but as relative ones. I understand and sympathize with your view that hi-fi magazines are bound into the production cycles of their advertisers. But it still seems to me useful to read the comparisons between different manufacturers (which is why round-up reviews such as the recent DAC round-up are interesting) ... unless of course you think hi-fi magazines give preferential treatment to the companies that advertise in them.

Matt

unless of course you think hi-fi magazines give preferential treatment to the companies that advertise in them.

Now they wouldn't be silly enough to do that .... would they? :)

I guess it all depends on what they actually get given to review in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts