Philips 40 PFL 9705 What Hi-fi review ???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I think LCD shouldnt need any color or contrast boost - for example the PFL5605 has a contrast ratio above 5000:1 out of the box, callibrated above 4:000:1 with 0.04 on black level. But sure the plasma needs any geek they can get to improve color clarity and contrast, but they are born with the glass front anyway.

Its probably a matter of taste/user-environment, and a matter of comparing the limited "wow effect" you get, with the disadvantage of reflections. In my opinion its a very bad tradeoff - if you cant see any thing for reflections, it realy dosnt matter how bright and vivid the color would have looked in a dark room.

A

Anonymous

Haha a bit funny to discuss the new 9000 models even before the review - but this year I think the remark "wait to next year" is appropriate - for several reasons.

My daughter watch TV on the Internet all day, from all kind of sources. If she could play Little Big Planet on the Internet instead on the PS3/TV, she would do it. Also my whife now watch TV on Internet - you wonder whats going on, movies should be seen on a big screen ... anyway the trend is clear, also I would like to watch films from the Internet, there are many movie channels, and you can today find almost any film you would like to watch right now - the traditional DVB-T / Sat channels are fixed to a schedule you have to follow. But todays TV sets dosnt support this, a set-up with media station ete etc is not realy an option. So basicallly we wait for TV sets which are full internet enabled - which this years models are not - except Lava from Sweeden, and very soon Sony Google TV. So thats a very good reason to hold the decision of buying a new TV set this year. 3000 Euro for a TV set which is outdated on a key feature within 12 months ( well already now ) is for the buyers with very deep pockets.

Another issue this year talking about Philips, is this years 8000 and 9000 models whith refelctive screen - some hate it, others dont care - lets hope next year will return to normal, but who knows other than Philips.

Third issue, which has been in the pipeline for years, is the OLED/plastsubstrate technology - but wouldnt hold a buy decision only based on this - it could take years before a TV set above 32" and for less than a million will be released - but it could be next year ..

So all in all - this year the phrase "wait to next year" could well be the year.

A

Anonymous

philips high end tv's seem to be released much later in the year than the rest, this is a strange tactic, last years 9704 was highly rated by whfi, but in their opinion it was bettered by a few tv's in a spring supertest this year, so it was only best in class for 6 months..

it was only available from last october if memory serves? by then many would have bought an 09 set already, and those who hadnt may have decided to wait till this year.

now its just october and the 9705 is still not widely available? many have bought new high end sets already, and those that havent, but may do, will only have to wait a few more months to see whats planned for next year, and they may decide to wait. i dont get philips staggered release strategy at all..

A

Anonymous

Most probaly due to they had to jump on the 3D train in the last minute - even they announced they would wait till 3D watched without glasses was ready. Since some review sites comments that they received the TV set, but not the 3D glasses - a guess is that they are waitig for the glasses or have some unexpectyed problems with the 3D glasses, and probably some last minute corrections.

Unfortunately the 3D decision ( with glasses ) has - and not only for Philips - set a whole industry 1-2 years back. What would you prefere, 1. gen 3D TV set with only a few movies supported, or a full Internet supporting TV set, watching hazard free and quickly any movie channel on the net, surfe the net, check your emails ? Not to mention quick boot time and fast text TV and channel shift ?

Further not to mention the 21:9 development, the 21:9 race has begun. Apple announced a Cinema screen as one of the only ones on the move within 21:9 support, not in 21:9 but with additional space for subtitles and toolbar without merging with the movie - soon the PC monitor market and the TV sets will melt together, TV watched from the net. Series are now made in 21:9, documentary programs are made in 21:9, many are in a deep sleep in the industry.

That was the price of using the resoruces on 3D with glasses.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
well it arrived. I forewent the Sony HX903 which I had previously ordered in favour of the 9705 which arrived today. Philips managed to get the model out quicker than Sony, in my case.

I was a bit stressed to begin with - as I expected the HD and DVD was great (haven't tried Blu-ray or 3D yet) but the SD was a disappointment. At least it was until I calmed down some of the factory settings. Now I have a good picture and I am pleased. It looks a great tv too (in my opinion). I am just praying that WHF avoid telling readers it is not as good as the SONY!! in the December edition!

thanks

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
jcshutts: I am just praying that WHF avoid telling readers it is not as good as the SONY!! in the December edition!

Can WHIFI advise when the 9705 is to reviewed, please, and when the review will hit the streets.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hurrah, it arrived! Can't think how I missed that in the past few days
emotion-5.gif

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. Is that the issue dated December or the one available in December? Most magazines seem to get ahead of themselves in dates.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
subscribers get it earlier though - Mid October I think

I am struggling a bit with the settings on the Philips 46 9705. Watching dark scenes on DVD (not Blu-ray - which I am still yet to try), the scenes become almost pixelated and I end up with movement lagging. Sometimes it appears as though the faces aren't moving properly. It doesn't see to be handling black very well. Any ideas? I have tried re-setting all the processing options (of which there are many) but if I turn down the contrast and the sharpness I seem to lose a lot of detail and the dark scenes become difficult to discern. O DEAR

A

Anonymous

My experience with Philips sets ( we have three in the family ) is to set all to OFF for a start, disable absolutely all picture improving features, including light sencor etc. If you can turn the local dimming off, turn it off too. Turning all OFF shows you the raw performance of the TV set.

Sharpness: 2

Color: 50

Contrast: 60

Brightness: 60

Profile: Normal

Color temperature: Normal

Then look at your set top box if atached, check if there is a menu for picture settings including contrast and brightness. Make sure these settings are set to neutral ( in the middle of the scale ) - if present.

Then look at the picture. If the colors seems natual no further action on colors, else adjust color 1-2 steps up or down till colors seems natual on neutral channels. Sharpness is usualy rather fixed at 2. Contrast and brightness are then adjusted if you find it neccesary - you may look up reviews and look at their callibrated settings for contrast and brightness - which is the main issue to set.

Put your hand on the front glass after a while - if the front glass is warmer than hand-warm, contrast and/or brightness may be set too high - this is a guideline - if the front glass is to fry an egg, you should realy check your settings.

Handling of motion and cleaning up for noise etc: If not satisfied - you can carefully try to turn the picture improving features on, only one ON at a time, to see which impact the particular setting has for the picture.

On this years 9000 model there should be no need for the picture improving settings - perhaps the 400Hz system set to minimum - but probably better leave it off - a matter of personal taste rather than facts.

The above procedure should be valid for most TV sets.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

cant wait for the review

dont forget to test the 3D bit of it ;)

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
PeterHerz:
My experience with Philips sets ( we have three in the family ) is to set all to OFF for a start, disable absolutely all picture improving features, including light sencor etc. If you can turn the local dimming off, turn it off too. Turning all OFF shows you the raw performance of the TV set.

Sharpness: 2

Color: 50

Contrast: 60

Brightness: 60

Profile: Normal

Color temperature: Normal

Then look at your set top box if atached, check if there is a menu for picture settings including contrast and brightness. Make sure these settings are set to neutral ( in the middle of the scale ) - if present.

Then look at the picture. If the colors seems natual no further action on colors, else adjust color 1-2 steps up or down till colors seems natual on neutral channels. Sharpness is usualy rather fixed at 2. Contrast and brightness are then adjusted if you find it neccesary - you may look up reviews and look at their callibrated settings for contrast and brightness - which is the main issue to set.

Put your hand on the front glass after a while - if the front glass is warmer than hand-warm, contrast and/or brightness may be set too high - this is a guideline - if the front glass is to fry an egg, you should realy check your settings.

Handling of motion and cleaning up for noise etc: If not satisfied - you can carefully try to turn the picture improving features on, only one ON at a time, to see which impact the particular setting has for the picture.

On this years 9000 model there should be no need for the picture improving settings - perhaps the 400Hz system set to minimum - but probably better leave it off - a matter of personal taste rather than facts.

The above procedure should be valid for most TV sets.

Good luck.

thanks will give it a go, anyone know why it may not be handling dark scenes very well. Is it likely to be the TV or the DVD player that isn't up to the mark?

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
these settings did the trick and I am back in love with my new tv again - thank goodness!

I have adopted these settings for the DVD but can be a little more adventurous with the Sky - for some reason. Either way watching the different sources means that the tv remembers the settings for each one and both images are brilliant. Can't wait to try Blu-ray and 3d. It's easy to get the settings wrong though and it can have a devastating affect on the picture!

thanks

A

Anonymous

Glad to hear that - this years 9000 should give close to perfect picture. Did you turn off the local dimming - is there a visible difference when local dimming is ON/OFF? Contrast, brightness and local dimming are the three settings to play with.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
PeterHerz:Glad to hear that - this years 9000 should give close to perfect picture. Did you turn off the local dimming - is there a visible difference when local dimming is ON/OFF? Contrast, brightness and local dimming are the three settings to play with.

thanks will have a further look given the advice you offer. thanks I am slightly confused why manufacturers offer all these processing gizmos if the result can have a catastrophic impact on the picture. Maybe it depends on what source is being viewed as to whether they enhance or depreciate the picture quality. Maybe I just don't have a clue!

A

Anonymous

There is still a vast difference in source quality from program to program - having a nice set as a 9705 reproducing almost perfectly, when changing from a high quality source to a low quality source, the difference is more noticeable - especially if changing from a HD chanel to a SD channel, it may look as the TV set is a poor performer on SD, but its rather the SD source which is poor. As Clare Newsome also comments - LCD sets still have to be set very precisely to perform - but set correct, the top LCD matches plasma and may even outperform in some aspects.

Why they still include all the gizmos - I suppose we have to ask the manufacturer.

A

Anonymous

if you do get around to testing this TV then i suggest you have a play with the PS3's 3D abilites on this TV - seen a few users say its naff :) actually add Sky 3D to the list as well.

I do hope Philips didnt just test 3D on its own blu-ray players :)

D

Deleted member 2457

I saw the 32inch of this in John Lewis the other day, the philips 32pfl9705 i could not believe how slim and fragile it looked for a premium product.

A

Anonymous

oh dear

seems the 3D has been reviewed by other people and in no uncertain terms has been found to be the worst 3D on a TV yet :)

not bad for a £2000 TV

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You really are the ultimate doom-monger, sosages
emotion-40.gif

Our review is due as part of a huge 3D TV Supertest, due out 11 November; we'll reserve judgement on the Philips' performance until then.

TRENDING THREADS