Panasonic TX-P50GT50B Screen burn

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've had the the Panasonic TX-P50GT50B for around a month now.

It's only had light use but I'm seeing quite a lot of screen burn.

I watch the sky sports news channel quite a bit, which has left the graphics boxes down the right hand side of the screen, which I can see on all channels.

I've been running the scrolling bar from the menu option to try and clear it, but the retention is still there.

Anyone got any tips clear this?

Thanks.

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
what picture settings do you have it on? i would highly recommend you leave the picture settings on "normal" until the screen has burnt in nicely, I have the TXP50G30B (Without 3D) left it on normal picture setting for about 6 months and have to say the screen has burnt and the picture is awesome.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
I have a similar issue with the British Eurosport logo after watching their Le Mans coverage over the weekend - the scrolling bar doesn't seem to have much effect though haven't had the chance to have running for more than an hour or so. Might be worth letting it run for a few hours to see if it helps?

Another option would be to use the 'white noise' on the analogue tuner, this seemed to help more than the scrolling bar but again didn't have much time to leave it running.

Do you have the orbiter set to auto or on?

Haleem123 said:
what picture settings do you have it on? i would highly recommend you leave the picture settings on "normal" until the screen has burnt in nicely, I have the TXP50G30B (Without 3D) left it on normal picture setting for about 6 months and have to say the screen has burnt and the picture is awesome.

You mean "run in". :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
How long have you had the tv?

You have to remember that it takes around 500 hours of use to run-in the screen from new and that during this time the screen should be used with great care to avoid any burn or image retention issues, you don't have to limit yourself to just the 'normal' setting but just avoid the 'dynamic' setting like the plague as it boosts contrast, brightness and colour levels to screen damaging levels.

It's important to carry out some sort of calibration to the screen as this will help avoid any burn or retention issues, you can use a THX dvd for a basic calibration or buy a retail disc such as DVE Essentials or Spears and Munsil...if you are flush with cash then you can also get a professional calibration carried out although this will cost between £250-350.

As for getting any images wiped from the screen...i have found on my GT30 that the scrolling bar has only limited use, if you notice an image build up quick enough and it isn't a build up over many days use then it can wipe it nicely and normally in under an hour but for an image build up like you describe then i have found it has little value.

I had an image build up after stupidly playing Borderlands on my PS3 for a good 6 hours or so over one of the bank holidays and had image retention of the HUD from the game, scrolling bar had no effect after 6 hours and the anologue snow effect had no effect either. The way i got rid of it in the end was an 8 hour session with a Pixel Protector dvd i purchased some time ago, this has a few patterns on it than can wipe images and after using the dvd in conjunction with the dynamic mode on the tv (after drastically reducing the contrast, brightness and colour levels) the image was gone by the morning.

The Pixel Protector dvd has a variation of the anologue snow pattern that is finer in quality and in colour and it worked a treat for me but with lesser retention issues i've used the scrolling bar on the tv and it has solved any retention quickly, i'm of the opinion that your GT50 just has extreme image retention and that you can remove it.

Give the scrolling bar and snow options a bit more time in use, a good 5 hours at least or better still leave it going over night and see if it solves it...if not i would recommend the Pixel Protector dvd or bluray which should solve it but of course this will cost you £20 for the dvd or £25 for the bluray so try the free methods first.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
How long have you had the tv?

You must have missed this bit!

TheMustard said:
I've had the the Panasonic TX-P50GT50B for around a month now.

It's only had light use but I'm seeing quite a lot of screen burn.

But seriously Oldboy, that's a very helpful post, about the scrolling bar and snow options. And especially that a professional calibration will cost £250 - £350! I was thinking of getting my Samsung looked at, but I can't afford that just now. I'll just have to be methodical with using my Spears and Munsil disc.

You quote 500 hours run-in time, but I have seen 200 hours quoted elsewhere?? I've had my Samsung since early March, but I would say that I have used it for no more than an hour a day on average. (I mostly watch in the kitchen and bedroom.) So far I've not noticed any image retention on my Samsung, as indeed I never did with my Pioneers when they were new. I briefly had an LG 60PZ950T plasma over Christmas and New Year, and that did have some image retention.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
On another forum its mentioned that you should leave Pixel Orbiter on and use the TV in normal mode.

If set to THX mode pixel orbiter does not work.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

I have switched the pixel orbiter on (after reading on another forum)

Used the THX calibration tool for the picture settings.

Left the scrolling bar on 3 nights on the spin, but I can still see the sky sports news box/date time on the right hand side of the screen, with a line going from top to bottom which is quite visible watching all channels now.

I'll guess I'll give it more run in time.

Have to say, I thought that screen retention issues on plasma's had been resolved a few years ago.

I upgraded from a from a great Sony LCD TV, so at the moment I'm a bit miffed by the whole thing.

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Bigboss, thanks for correcting me, i am still new in all the terminology, maybe i could learn a thing or two from more experienced posters like yourself:clap:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I should add that i leave pixel orbiter on at all times and that THX mode does turn the function onto AUTO not off, there is no such option on pixel orbiter, despite THX mode doing this i've had no image retention issues atall in THX mode.

I have to say that despite WHF and others stating that image retention is a thing of the past on plasma tvs my experience is that opinion is simply not true when it comes to Panasonic plasma tvs, i can't say anything about the likes of Samsung and LG as i've never owned a plasma tv from either of these but with Panasonic tvs image retention is still an issue.

My G20 that i owned had terrible retention that turned into burn but what i would say is that the GT30 i own is an improvement, at least there are tools built in to help you keep on top of it now and that most examples are easily removed but to say image retention and in some cases burn are a thing of the past is misleading when it comes to Panasonic in my eperience that is not the case.

Son_of_SJ,

Apologies somehow i missed the OP stating how long he had owned the tv...speed reading can do that.

As for run in times yes i too have seen 200 hours quoted but from all the research i done prior to purchasing my GT30 (in order to avoid any issues) that is a bare minimum figure and that 500 hours is preferable as a run in period, of course it's up to the individual to decide what they feel is acceptable but i felt that the longer the run in the less chance there was of issues further down the line. For a small amount of pain for the first 500 hours it's been well worth it so far.

It's heartening to hear your Samsung has had no issues with retention but also a concern that the LG you had breifly did suffer, perhaps adding fuel to the fire that retention issues are not a thing of the past as my experience has proved.

What must be remembered is that with the best will in the world the likes of WHF and other reviewers simply don't live with these tvs every day and so any issues that may arise later in a tvs life can't be accounted for, they review the tv over a relatively small amount of time when compared to the everyday use of a consumer.

One last point for anyone with a plasma tv that is in the run in period, don't forget that you can view the amount of hours on your screen by getting into the engineers menu or in some cases (Samsung i beleive) there is an option to view this in the menu. Just google engineers menu for your particular tv or use view amount of hours use as a search and you will find how to do it, i found this very useful.

Lee-S

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys - newbie but came to this thread (and others like it) when I had stupidly paused a BR with a very high contrast silhouette skyline and wandered off - - - for several hours. My TX-P50GT60B had clear screen burn evident for hours afterwards and showed no sign of clearing. Most of the chat here and elsewhere is extremely interesting, but most of it is fairly doom-laden. Felt like throwing myself off - well, a fairly high doorstep at the very least, as I love the set. But - and I suppose there may be unforeseen consequential damage you savvy people might know that I don't - I have just finished using a screen wipe thingummy I found on YouTube which has worked! Well, at least pretty much so - it's a ghost of its former self (haha) after I ran it for around an hour or so. I'll be trying a bit more later on, but it's much more livable with already. So I thought I'd pass it on: it's known as 'Screen Burn In Fix Ghosting Fix' and the address is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYtEQn1JqOI&list=PLsglERZ8B1AZ0bCwbNm5ZmFT-5qzMSf2Z

I hope it helps someone. Me, I'm very relieved. Now if only I could cure the irritating floating black levels I get, despite lots of people saying this had been sorted by the time my set came into being . . .

TRENDING THREADS