Panasonic screen burn

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bought a Panasonic G20 plasma a couple of months ago, and yesterday noticed screen burn!!

Its the 'come and play' logo from CBBC's that my daugther leaves on constantly, you can barely see it, but when the screen switches to brighter backgrounds its visible!!

Has anyone else experienced this? and will it disappear?

According to Panasonic this isnt supposed to happen as the screen should refresh with slight movement every millisecond or so, but clearly this isnt right with my set!

Just need some advice before I get in touch with Richer Sounds and take advantage of the 5yr supercare [*-)]

A

Anonymous

Had the same problem and it goes after time, my kids watch cbeebies.

I had a panny as well, but not your model, but try not to leave it on the channel all day. and the more action and blu-ray you watch it should go.

Give it a week of watching other stuff if your kids let you
emotion-4.gif
and if its still there contact RS

A

Anonymous

I think plasma's will always have that threat of screen burn especially with a cartoon figure in the corner.

My screen was 4 years old, but the icon never stayed there for long

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
Worth reading through this thread.

Getting a bit worried about this year's Pannys...

i dont remember reading one complaint of screen burn on here before this last few weeks..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I've never had this problem with last year's G10 (beyond barely detectable examples of image retention that vanish almost immediately once I've switched to another channel/source). Hope Panny screen burn doesn't become this year's Sony backlight bleed!

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
As in the thread quoted I use the 'static' approach. Having 2 young children there is always a channel with a logo on or a DVD is left on the menu screen after they have finished watching and due to my poor parenting skills it sometimes isn't taken off straight away. 30 minutes of pure static seems to get rid of the worst but you need to make sure the 'blue screen' is switched off in the options settings as most TV's seem to revert to this when they cannot get a signal. The other way I have heard that works is if you have a console attached, play music through it and turn the swirly graphics that they have to full screen and leave it for a bit but I've never tested this way myself.

Good luck with it.

Ben.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Marty Moose:

Bought a Panasonic G20 plasma a couple of months ago, and yesterday noticed screen burn!!

Its the 'come and play' logo from CBBC's that my daugther leaves on constantly, you can barely see it, but when the screen switches to brighter backgrounds its visible!!

Has anyone else experienced this? and will it disappear?

According to Panasonic this isnt supposed to happen as the screen should refresh with slight movement every millisecond or so, but clearly this isnt right with my set!

Just need some advice before I get in touch with Richer Sounds and take advantage of the 5yr supercare
emotion-42.gif

Marty,

I started the thread that Prof directed you to and i have the same problem with my G20. It's now gone off to a repair agent but 3 weeks later i am still waiting for some answers, according to panasonic this is not normal and they have had no other reports of the problem so i will leave it to you what you do next but please let me know how you get on
emotion-21.gif

My thread will be constantly updated so if you want to know how i get on before you decide what to do you know where to go. As you have a Richer Sounds guarantee you may well not get the problems i have had and if you don't i would very much like to know as my retailer has taken the stance that this is a Panasonic issue and if others are treated differently i would really like to know, thanks.

Hope you get the issue resolved soon.

Oldboy.

A

Anonymous

Hey Oldboy,

Went in to the Panasonic store yesterday and explained the issue, and the geek (where do they find these guys? Not exactly sales material!) said he hasnt seen a single set with this problem all year, especially not a new one such as the G20, and thought it might be Image retention.

But he thought that if it indeed was screen burn Panasonic would exchange the set without any issue. However!! (reemphasized 10 times throughout the our conversation) should the problem persist and not solve itself i.e. Image retention, to contact RS and they would should deal with it.

He also said that the fast twitching of the green LED when switching the TV on is supposed so signify 'screen clean', which should remove any and all IR.

The guys at RS said that if it indeed is IR it will fade within 3-4 weeks, so this might be what your guys are currently waiting for. Im gonna leave it until the end of this week and then take full advantage of my SuperCare that I took out with RS.

This shouldnt happen to a new set like this! Are you not supposed to watch what you want because the TV has limitations? Well in that case, the price needs to be reduced by 75% and this clearly stated when the set is bought.

"Enjoy, but remember, you can only watch certain channels and programs vetted by Panasonic"!

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello Marty,

Yeah not a good idea to go to a Panasonic store (or Sony Centre) for advice unless you like spotty teens attempting to talk down to you like you are some sort of tech newbie! I hate those stores...why employ people who know absolutely nothing about the products or the tech?? That is the first i have heard about the fast twitching green led on switch on being 'scree clean', as far as i understand it screen clean requires alot more time to work and requires an image on screen like the analogue 'snow' when not tuned in. The G20 has no screen clean feature atall.

I do agree with what they said about Panasonic replaceing the tv if it is burn as this fits nicely with what Panasonic customer support told me over the phone, as far as i know they are trying to establish if my tv has burn or IR at the mo but i'm expecting a call from the engineer today so maybe i will get some news later, fingers crossed!

Wish i had gone to Richer Sounds now but that is tricky for me as the nearest store is over 60miles away! What will you do if you return it btw, will you go for something completely different or another Panny??

Totally agree with you about these problems on the G20....but then all manufacturers will have some problem sets get through QC so it's perhaps a little early to cry foul but it doesn't change the fact that i remain annoyed and angry that my new tv cannot be used as it should due to the limitations of the G20 and as i have said before the tv is not fit for purpose and therefore as i stated to Panasonic i will be seeking a full refund if the issue is not resolved. You should write to Panasonic and ask if they would include your line in their manuals....would love to hear their response lol!

Best of luck getting the issue resolved and will keep you posted with my progress
emotion-21.gif

Oldboy
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I am going to get in touch with RS on Monday morning and see how they want to handle it.

But if it is indeed Screen Burn and they offer me a replacement set I will still go for the G20, but might try to upgrade the inches
emotion-2.gif

See if the Boss will go for 50 inch
emotion-5.gif
I would happily pay the difference!

As far as a TV set goes, I have been extremly happy with it from day one! Picture quality excellent, with Blu-Ray mind blowing
emotion-8.gif

Just upgraded my AV to the new Yamaha 667 and with Audio return you can controll the AV to a certain extent with the TV remote
emotion-21.gif

It might just be that we got a Monday or Friday TV (Swedish saying
emotion-2.gif
)

Sometimes it happens, you read it often enough happening to other people, maybe this time it was our time to get the duff ones that slipped through the quality net.

Good luck with getting it sorted and keep in touch!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Best of luck with Richers...i'm sure they will do you proud with little hassle and i wouldn't blame you for getting a few extra inches if the opportunity arises!

Good choice for your new amp....AR channel is the only thing missing from my Denon 2310 but i can live without it when the amp is so good, still a bit jealous though....is that wrong??

Like the expression btw and as i said before it's more than possible for a few to slip through the net but i'm still annoyed as i've been on the receiving end for the last 2/3 years but fingers crossed it sorts itself out soon.

Some bad news though, the engineer call never materialised yesterday so the repair agent is going to get a rather unpleasant call from me on monday morning as you might imagine, closely followed by complaints to Panasonic about the quite frankly shoddy service i have received.

I truly hope you get treated better!

A

Anonymous

Called RS this morning and they've arranged for an engineer to come out on Wednesday
emotion-2.gif

Ive since had a courtesy call from the engineers themselves to confirm Wednesday appointment, so far so good!

I will let you know how I got one Wednesday night.

A

Anonymous

Well I know this doesn't really help, but after owning plasmas for as long as they have been available, I went with LED a couple of months ago (Samsung 55 inch) after seriously considering the new Panasonic plasmas. You could argue the pros and cons forever but the one thing I don't miss is my paranoia over getting screen burn in! If all continues to go well, I will never go back to plasma, depending of course on technology developments.

A

Anonymous

Hey Catlike,

Considering how much the technology has advanced I never in a million years would have thought that the current plasmas being sold, especially Panasonics who have years of experience in the field & have taken over Pioneers succesful reign, would suffer the same issues as the earlier models from years back
emotion-6.gif

With all those years of negative feedback and experiences you would have thought they would have ironed out the biggest kinks
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Marty Moose:

Hey Catlike,

Considering how much the technology has advanced I never in a million years would have thought that the current plasmas being sold, especially Panasonics who have years of experience in the field & have taken over Pioneers succesful reign, would suffer the same issues as the earlier models from years back
emotion-6.gif

With all those years of negative feedback and experiences you would have thought they would have ironed out the biggest kinks
emotion-7.gif

Agreed!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

The g20b is a screen burn penny. I had the problem and am stuck with it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts