panasonic 50vt20 .. will it be crowned king ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

I have been thinking about this actually i think this tv is only worthy of four stars becasue you are paying x amount for the 3D.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

CM7:
im not quite sure what you mean by that ... but i would not take you very seriuolsy ..

a user that spend the amount you spend on set (50vt20) and dont even know that was paying for 3d technology certnally would not be the most credible adviser ..

as i said before it is a good set but not the only choice available right now as some of you repetdly and annoying been trying to impose to others ..

thats it ! best regards to all of you !

I don't tend to take myself too seriuolsy either.

A

Anonymous

gel:I have been thinking about this actually i think this tv is only worthy of four stars becasue you are paying x amount for the 3D.
emotion-21.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-60.gif
emotion-5.gif

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
johnb1966:

it will get 5 stars, the question is will it win the group test in a future edition.

Having seen the set side by side a samsung 8000 it appears to me to be clearly beter? owning one I am totally satisfied beyond any previous AV purchase (and I've made a few over the years)

i look forward to my copy on return from work tomorrow
I bet you thought England would win the world cup too..... Don't take up predicticting as a job.

D

Deleted member 2457

hammill:johnb1966:

I assume you have seen the mag?

Seen it, read it, filed it.

Already filed it
emotion-3.gif
i have to read mine about 10 times first.

D

Deleted member 2457

stuart123:Oh dear, 4 stars and the sony beat it ha ha ha..Keep my 5090 for now then!!

Can't wait too Max to read this
emotion-4.gif
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Four stars?! It can't be!! I'm going to stamp my feet and scream until I make myself sick!!

Either that or accept it's possible I could have bought something very slightly better, shrug the shoulders and move on. I was delighted with it before, and as per Mr 1966, have no reason not to be still.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a brilliant TV. Would have been five stars if we'd reviewed it before the Sony arrived and raised the bar.......Which is ironic considering how long it took Panasonic to get us a review model.

D

Deleted member 2457

12th:Four stars?! It can't be!! I'm going to stamp my feet and scream until I make myself sick!! Either that or accept it's possible I could have bought something very slightly better, shrug the shoulders and move on. I was delighted with it before, and as per Mr 1966, have no reason not to be still.

I would not be upset, i think if it did not have the 3D and was alot cheaper it would have got 5 stars.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Nope - it would have got five stars if the Sony 'HX903 wasn't so astonishing
clare , did the vt20 really get only 4 stars ?
emotion-2.gif

because the sony was much better , at almost 50% more expensive aswell ?
emotion-19.gif

even though it suffers from crosstalk ?
emotion-3.gif

this is a windup right ?? i mean come on , it has to be a windup ?
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

i have issues with your star ratings. so the panasonic is a 5 star tv but because a tv is better its a 4 star tv.

so do all your previous 4 star tv's drop to a 3 star ? surely thats how you work things. i cannot fathom your rating systems.

surely you guys at WHF need to re-think what you do. your basically saying that there cant be more than one 5 star tv ?

if the panasonic is a 5 star tv then it is a 5 star tv. pls give the sony 5 stars as well and let us make the choice. i for one prefer the way other sites rate tv's and let us educated folks make decisions.

The star system has had its day me thinks.....

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:this is a wind up right ?? i mean come on , it has to be a wind up ?
emotion-19.gif

Well you certainly seem to be getting the wind up, max...

duly edited
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

well sony needed a good year this year ..

looks like they are having one
emotion-11.gif

cant wait to read the .er , review next week when i browse through it in tescos ..

cos i aint paying for it
emotion-19.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As ever, i'd urge everybody to read both reviews - in full - and (even better) see the sets in action before jumping to any conclusions.

You might also want to read the TV Supertest in the same issue, where Panasonic emerges triumphant......

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
brettweir:so the panasonic is a 5 star tv but because a tv is better its a 4 star tv.

No, it would have been five stars if there hadn't been a TV in its product category that's clearly better in what it does.

brettweir:so do all your previous 4 star tv's drop to a 3 star ?

No, because we're talking a specific product category here, and most of those 4 star TVs aren't in that category.

brettweir:your basically saying that there cant be more than one 5 star tv ?

No, we're not.

brettweir:if the panasonic is a 5 star tv then it is a 5 star tv.

That's a bit like saying I'd be the tallest boy in the class if only that other boy wasn't six inches taller, so please call me the tallest boy too.

brettweir:The star system has had its day me thinks.....

Clearly we think not, but the way we evaluate various aspects of products' design and performance is under constant review.

notaclue

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
Following that logic all your previous 5* screens are now 4* - even the Samsung UE46B/C8000, which you only just reviewed - else I we have to conclude they too are better than the Panasonic - which is fine by me but slightly surprising?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:
because the sony was much better , at almost 50% more expensive aswell ?
emotion-19.gif

Wrong - the Sony is £460 more expensive than the Panasonic if you opt for the 3D transmitter and two pairs of glasses. That's 20% more expensive.

maxflinn:

even though it suffers from crosstalk ?
emotion-3.gif

Spent much time comparatively reviewing the two sets in question have you, Max?

TRENDING THREADS