From Yamaha A2010 to Onkyo 818 personal experience

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
The purpose of this thread is to share my experience with both Yamaha Aventage A2010 and Onkyo 818, also discuss about the various configuration possibilities of Onkyo 818. I had several other AVRs before but I will only focus in the last two. The main reason for change was that I did not like at all this Yamaha for music but, I also found that this Onkyo worked better for me in most areas.

Setting up – Yamaha has a bit more flexibility and better on-screen menus. It allows re-adjusting the YPAO equalization manually after running YPAO and even compare between 2 YPAO saved/adjusted settings. On the other hand, I found Onkyo Audyssey TX32 to be more accurate. It is interesting how 2 different measuring systems can produce total different results ex. YPAO sub = -7 and, Audyssey sub = - 2. Also YPAO set my fronts as small whereas Audyssey set them to 40HZ. This makes me somehow become sceptic about the validity of these measuring systems altogether. You can run them 100 times and you will never get the same results with either of them especially in terms of equalization.

Configuration by input - You cannot save configurations by input in the Yamaha, instead you need to do this via “scene” settings but if you use a harmony remote like I do then, no possibility to use scenes. I personally find these “scene” thing totally non-value adding feature that only adds complexity.

Cinema – Although cinema feeling could be more impressive with the Yamaha, it has some issues which made the overall experience less enjoyable for me. Too many options/combinations and artificial DSP modes. You end up going crazy because you can spend half the movie trying different DSP modes, with and without enhancer, with and without 3D sound, with and without DRC, with and without DSP and back again trying to find the lucky combination that works best for all movies. To me this is just a lot of non-value adding complexity although I can understand that will appeal to some customers. Finally and very important, the night mode does not work very well and takes away almost completely the cinematic effect.

Having said that, I still think Yamaha is a great home cinema and will work especially well for those who have plenty of space and no neighbours to get to its full potential.

The Onkyo is much simpler in this respect and still provides a top level home cinema performance. The night mode works flawlessly which is very important for me since I leave in a flat. It is the first AVR that allows me to play movies without need to turn up and down the volume every time there is an action scene.

TV mode – I prefer the Onkyo here as well because the TV mode works very well. No need to go crazy over DSP modes, just pick up the TV mode and it works extremely well for TV shows and movies.

Network options – Onkyo has many more options and I found them easier to use including: Spotify, Aupeo, last fm, etc. This should be the standards these days.

HDMI output – With the Yamaha, I had to switch between HDMI1 and HDMI2 when I wanted to watch movies in my projector. With the Onkyo you just set output to both and you do not need to touch anymore.

Video processing – For some reason, I used to get better result with the Yamaha in terms of video output quality, on the other hand Onkyo offers a lot of flexibility and even 4K up conversion which the Yamaha did not have (new models do thought).

Mobile app – Yamaha is way ahead and Onkyo definitely needs to work on this.

Music - I found the Onkyo to be more refined and pleasant to listen to music. I do not use the word musical because I still believe that there is a gap regarding musicality that this AVR still does not completely close (very close thought). Sometimes the highs are not airy enough and the mid/low bass can be a bit dry. However, compared to the Yamaha, I find it more enjoyable, perhaps a bit cold and clinical sound but, overall more pleasant. I believe the X32 and filtering process does a great job to the point that it is difficult to tell whether the final outcome is the result of good electronics or it is all about filtering and equalizing. I wonder if we are coming to a situation that AVRS became as good as their equalizing/filtering systems.

The biggest problem with the TX32 equalization of the Onkyo is that it cannot be edited. Therefore, if you find that the bass is overwhelming you can only adjust it via the general “Bass” setting but you cannot edit the TX32 equalization for each frequency band. Otherwise you need to try running the equalization again changing the mic positions and cross your fingers.

Is this the final musical receiver that I have been waiting for the past 15 years? I do not think so but, it is getting pretty close and it definetly represents a move in the right direction.

The other area where I also liked Onkyo better is the navigation through music library. It is possible to do this even through the small AVR display whereas with the Yamaha it was nearly impossible (you could only go page by page in tv-navigation display mode).

Regarding 818 settings, I would be very interested if other Onkyo 818 owners could share their experiences and what has worked for them. Ex. do you use Audyssey equalization, music mode vs movie, music enhancer, manual equalizer mode, etc?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
rendu said:
The purpose of this thread is to share my experience with both Yamaha Aventage A2010 and Onkyo 818, also discuss about the various configuration possibilities of Onkyo 818. I had several other AVRs before but I will only focus in the last two. The main reason for change was that I did not like at all this Yamaha for music but, I also found that this Onkyo worked better for me in most areas.

Setting up – Yamaha has a bit more flexibility and better on-screen menus. It allows re-adjusting the YPAO equalization manually after running YPAO and even compare between 2 YPAO saved/adjusted settings. On the other hand, I found Onkyo Audyssey TX32 to be more accurate. It is interesting how 2 different measuring systems can produce total different results ex. YPAO sub = -7 and, Audyssey sub = - 2. Also YPAO set my fronts as small whereas Audyssey set them to 40HZ. This makes me somehow become sceptic about the validity of these measuring systems altogether. You can run them 100 times and you will never get the same results with either of them especially in terms of equalization.

Configuration by input - You cannot save configurations by input in the Yamaha, instead you need to do this via “scene” settings but if you use a harmony remote like I do then, no possibility to use scenes. I personally find these “scene” thing totally non-value adding feature that only adds complexity.

Cinema – Although cinema feeling could be more impressive with the Yamaha, it has some issues which made the overall experience less enjoyable for me. Too many options/combinations and artificial DSP modes. You end up going crazy because you can spend half the movie trying different DSP modes, with and without enhancer, with and without 3D sound, with and without DRC, with and without DSP and back again trying to find the lucky combination that works best for all movies. To me this is just a lot of non-value adding complexity although I can understand that will appeal to some customers. Finally and very important, the night mode does not work very well and takes away almost completely the cinematic effect.

Having said that, I still think Yamaha is a great home cinema and will work especially well for those who have plenty of space and no neighbours to get to its full potential.

The Onkyo is much simpler in this respect and still provides a top level home cinema performance. The night mode works flawlessly which is very important for me since I leave in a flat. It is the first AVR that allows me to play movies without need to turn up and down the volume every time there is an action scene.

TV mode – I prefer the Onkyo here as well because the TV mode works very well. No need to go crazy over DSP modes, just pick up the TV mode and it works extremely well for TV shows and movies.

Network options – Onkyo has many more options and I found them easier to use including: Spotify, Aupeo, last fm, etc. This should be the standards these days.

HDMI output – With the Yamaha, I had to switch between HDMI1 and HDMI2 when I wanted to watch movies in my projector. With the Onkyo you just set output to both and you do not need to touch anymore.

Video processing – For some reason, I used to get better result with the Yamaha in terms of video output quality, on the other hand Onkyo offers a lot of flexibility and even 4K up conversion which the Yamaha did not have (new models do thought).

Mobile app – Yamaha is way ahead and Onkyo definitely needs to work on this.

Music - I found the Onkyo to be more refined and pleasant to listen to music. I do not use the word musical because I still believe that there is a gap regarding musicality that this AVR still does not completely close (very close thought). Sometimes the highs are not airy enough and the mid/low bass can be a bit dry. However, compared to the Yamaha, I find it more enjoyable, perhaps a bit cold and clinical sound but, overall more pleasant. I believe the X32 and filtering process does a great job to the point that it is difficult to tell whether the final outcome is the result of good electronics or it is all about filtering and equalizing. I wonder if we are coming to a situation that AVRS became as good as their equalizing/filtering systems.

The biggest problem with the TX32 equalization of the Onkyo is that it cannot be edited. Therefore, if you find that the bass is overwhelming you can only adjust it via the general “Bass” setting but you cannot edit the TX32 equalization for each frequency band. Otherwise you need to try running the equalization again changing the mic positions and cross your fingers.

Is this the final musical receiver that I have been waiting for the past 15 years? I do not think so but, it is getting pretty close and it definetly represents a move in the right direction.

The other area where I also liked Onkyo better is the navigation through music library. It is possible to do this even through the small AVR display whereas with the Yamaha it was nearly impossible (you could only go page by page in tv-navigation display mode).

Regarding 818 settings, I would be very interested if other Onkyo 818 owners could share their experiences and what has worked for them. Ex. do you use Audyssey equalization, music mode vs movie, music enhancer, manual equalizer mode, etc?

We should encourage more posts like this tho few may be able to 'review/compare' similar amps. Harmony One - I have mine set to change to a scene dependant on input etc.

Agreed the YPAO is a bit fikkle and always needs tweaking. The balance between too many/too few eq setings agreed. Guess it sells amps but many settings are irrelevant unless you do some serious measurements or have a few years and patience to fiddle. I usually use minimum processing anyway so whats the point. When I bought mine it was reduced from £1200 (launch) to £600 and I found the Onkyo's so damned ugly. Cheer

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a 809 and there is a amazing iPad/iPhone app called O remote is really good bit of kit and makes playing of your iPhone or iPod awesome can control with your iPad select tracks

if you like your Onkyo this app makes much better and Onkyo should employ this guy who designs this app as put theirs to shame

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi rendu

When you did your set up using Audyssey & YPAO did you mount the mic supplied from each on a tripod? & was the mic positioned in exactly the same place each time? were the speakers in exactly the same position for each reading? If not you will always get a different reading even if you alter the angle of the speakers just slightly & if the decor in the room has changed.

After the YPAO & Audyssey have done the initial set up, I use an spl meter & adjust the volume for each speaker individually to try & get the optimum out of the system, have you tried this?

The Denon i had previously to the Yamaha amp had Audyssey & with Ikon speakers all around i found it made the centre very base heavy even when it was set to small, where as the Yamaha seems to be an improvement making all sound more even. I cant comment on the Onkyo as i have never owned one.

Regards ..

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
hello f1only, I do not have a tripod so I used a kitchen's chair instead :). I tried to place the mic in the same spots more or less. The distances worked pretty well with both, it is the equalization that can be more tricky and could have more effect in SQ. As you have pointed out if the result gives you a bassy center then it is all messed up. Different user with same product could actualy get a different sonic presentation and not like the sound as it was your case. In my case the Onkyo seem to give better result. Cheers.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
rendu said:

Eh??? You can set the Yamaha RX-A2010 to deliver through both its HMDI1 and HMDI2 outputs, you certainly don't need to keep switching. On my 2010 I can use either output, or use both HDMI outputs, at the same time! Why do you think that you can't do that with your Yamaha? Look at pages 34 and 52 of the 2010 manual (Selecting an HDMI output jack), you need to select "HDMI OUT 1 + 2".

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
rendu said:
Cinema – Although cinema feeling could be more impressive with the Yamaha, it has some issues which made the overall experience less enjoyable for me. Too many options/combinations and artificial DSP modes. You end up going crazy because you can spend half the movie trying different DSP modes, with and without enhancer, with and without 3D sound, with and without DRC, with and without DSP and back again trying to find the lucky combination that works best for all movies.

I agree that trying various DSP combinations for every movie would be time-consuming and tedious. That's why I don't do it. When playing Blu-Rays and DVDs, I choose Movie Spectacular (having experimented with some of the other settings) and leave it at that. For every thing else, I choose STRAIGHT.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi rendu

:wave:

I have to agree with Son_of_SJ in that most of the time I let my 818 choose which surround fomat depending on what I want to watch, if its films then what ever format is on the dvd or blu-ray ( DTS Master, DolbTrueHD or even just plain 5.1), if its music ( radio or cd etc) then usually I choose All Ch Stereo.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I meant Dolby TrueHD, must really preview my posts before hitting save :doh:

Also forget to say when watching normal tv (Sky), I use DTS Neo X cimema mode as it uses all the speakers I have connected to my 818.

Happy listening to all.

:)

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
hello son of sj, you can set hdmi as 1+2 as you are correctly stating but you need to have both devices turned on. The Yamaha checks the min resolution of the 2 devices and will adjust output acourdingly as described in the manual. Therefore I could only send to both if I had both tv and proyector on. Maybe there was another possibility but I did not find it.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
macdiddy said:
Hi rendu

:wave:

I have to agree with Son_of_SJ in that most of the time I let my 818 choose which surround fomat depending on what I want to watch, if its films then what ever format is on the dvd or blu-ray ( DTS Master, DolbTrueHD or even just plain 5.1), if its music ( radio or cd etc) then usually I choose All Ch Stereo.

hello mcdiddy, for movies I let the 818 select the right format and never need to touch anything. For tv you shoult try tv dsp because it also uses the 5 channels depending on the input. For music I like stereo with the audyssei set as "music" but agree that the 5 channel dsp also works great. cheers

TRENDING THREADS