Comet/Panasonic 50VT20 nightmare.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Took delivery on Monday along with Panasonic BDT100. Immediately realised I could see the 50hz problems with motion blur/ghosting. I had never experienced this with my Panasonic 50PX600 which the VT20 was replacing. Also additional problem which I think is referred to as posterization where faces would explode into an orange/red mess.

Thought I'd give it a few days to see if it was something which would settle down but, no change after 6 days on near full use. Started contemplating putting the VT20 in my spare room setup which is used primarily for BD/HD DVD/PS3 use. So I tried my Avatar BD & others only to find that there was the same motion blur. Tried the same films on my 42G20 without any problems.

So today I rang Comet to see if I could get a replacement as, I've read some people saying their sets don't have problems with motion blur. Didn't get off to a good start when Customer Services man was adamant that motion blur wasn't a fault and that all plasmas suffer with motion blur. Apparently, sitting at the other end of a telephone, it's possible to tell whether a TV has a fault or not. To cut a long story short it went from bad to worse. Eventually, got so exasperated decided wasn't worth the bother trying to get a replacement and advised I wanted to return TV and get a refund. Mr Customer Services man said I had to return TV to a store, even though I'd bought online. Yeah right, I'll just lug a 50" TV and BD player down to my local store. Was then told I had to speak to Head Office to arrange return. Was put on hold for over 10 minutes. At this stage, could just picture Mr Customer Services Man putting his feet up, laughing. Then got cut off. Following a second call and going through the same process again, finally told Comet will ring back in 24 to 48 hours to arrange collection and will then refund.

After receiving the TV and having read up on these 50hz issues, I have to say I'm as disappointed with Panasonic. I've been a big fan of Panasonic plasmas in the past. In 2006 I bought a 42PX60 and 50PX600. Upgraded my 42PX60 last year for a 42G10 only then to read about rising black levels. Luckily, I managed to sell it for only £70 less than the cost of my 42G20. Had decided it was time to finally replace my 50PX600 for a full HD set and get 3D into the bargain. Beginning to wish I still had my 50PX600 which had provided excellent, fault free PQ for 4 years. Would add that I also have 3 Panasonic BD players, a 26LXD70 LCD in my daughter's room and a 42X10 which I bought for my mother. Could be a long time before I buy from Comet/Panasonic again.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments but, as mentioned above, Comet have said they'll ring back in a day or two to arrange collection and once it's returned, they'll then refund.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
You may wait a very long time for that phone call. They have your money so why shouild they bother?
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

I'll at least give them the chance to do what they've said they'll do. If they don't, then I'll have something to say to Comet.

A

Anonymous

pejwright:

Took delivery on Monday along with Panasonic BDT100. Immediately realised I could see the 50hz problems with motion blur/ghosting. I had never experienced this with my Panasonic 50PX600 which the VT20 was replacing. Also additional problem which I think is referred to as posterization where faces would explode into an orange/red mess.

Thought I'd give it a few days to see if it was something which would settle down but, no change after 6 days on near full use. Started contemplating putting the VT20 in my spare room setup which is used primarily for BD/HD DVD/PS3 use. So I tried my Avatar BD & others only to find that there was the same motion blur. Tried the same films on my 42G20 without any problems.

So today I rang Comet to see if I could get a replacement as, I've read some people saying their sets don't have problems with motion blur. Didn't get off to a good start when Customer Services man was adamant that motion blur wasn't a fault and that all plasmas suffer with motion blur. Apparently, sitting at the other end of a telephone, it's possible to tell whether a TV has a fault or not. To cut a long story short it went from bad to worse. Eventually, got so exasperated decided wasn't worth the bother trying to get a replacement and advised I wanted to return TV and get a refund. Mr Customer Services man said I had to return TV to a store, even though I'd bought online. Yeah right, I'll just lug a 50" TV and BD player down to my local store. Was then told I had to speak to Head Office to arrange return. Was put on hold for over 10 minutes. At this stage, could just picture Mr Customer Services Man putting his feet up, laughing. Then got cut off. Following a second call and going through the same process again, finally told Comet will ring back in 24 to 48 hours to arrange collection and will then refund.

After receiving the TV and having read up on these 50hz issues, I have to say I'm as disappointed with Panasonic. I've been a big fan of Panasonic plasmas in the past. In 2006 I bought a 42PX60 and 50PX600. Upgraded my 42PX60 last year for a 42G10 only then to read about rising black levels. Luckily, I managed to sell it for only £70 less than the cost of my 42G20. Had decided it was time to finally replace my 50PX600 for a full HD set and get 3D into the bargain. Beginning to wish I still had my 50PX600 which had provided excellent, fault free PQ for 4 years. Would add that I also have 3 Panasonic BD players, a 26LXD70 LCD in my daughter's room and a 42X10 which I bought for my mother. Could be a long time before I buy from Comet/Panasonic again.

Hi pejwright,

My name's Andy and I'm from Comet.

I was very sorry to learn of the problems that you have experienced with your Panasonic television. Although where possible we will complete telephone diagnostics it is apparent that on this occasion this was not required, and the colleague should have therefore, dealt with your query differently and not presumed as you stated.

I am sorry that due to the poor service you were offered that you have now opted for a full refund, however, if you could please email me your details direct, I would like to investigate this matter internally so that we can address the issue with colleagues concerned to ensure this type of service isn't offered in the future. Please email us using the following link, and quoting your username in your email.

Although I would appreciate your reluctance, should you require further assistance regarding the purchase of your television, I would be more than happy to assist.

https://comet.custhelp.com

Regards,

Andy

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear you had such an ordeal. I think buying online is actually the best option these days as resellers have to leagally adhere to distance selling regulations

"Under the distance selling regulations, you are within your rights to change your mind at any time within the first seven days, return the goods and get a full refund. This means without financial penalty of any kind - such as a cancellation charge or a 'restocking' fee. The supplier must also refund any delivery charges paid by you, and any other costs related to the contract. "

In your situation the TV could be sent back under the "not fit for purpose" category.

I am happier buying online than in a shop for this reason particularily with the knowledge you will have your delivery expenses refunded. You just need to be quick to act if there is a problem.

Google DSR - Distance selling regulations. There is a lot of info out there regarding your protection as a consumer.

A

Anonymous

markyd:Sorry to hear you had such an ordeal. I think buying online is actually the best option these days as resellers have to leagally adhere to distance selling regulations Quote "Under the distance selling regulations, you are within your rights to change your mind at any time within the first seven days, return the goods and get a full refund. This means without financial penalty of any kind - such as a cancellation charge or a 'restocking' fee. The supplier must also refund any delivery charges paid by you, and any other costs related to the contract. " In your situation the TV could be sent back under the "not fit for purpose" category. I am happier buying online than in a shop for this reason particularily with the knowledge you will have your delivery expenses refunded. You just need to be quick to act if there is a problem. Google DSR - Distance selling regulations. There is a lot of info out there regarding your protection as a consumer.

Thanks markyd, I did act swiftly, the TV has been collected this morning and I'm just waiting for a refund.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts